NEW TECH FROM MODWRIGHT - PLEASE READ!!!!!

modwright

NEW TECH FROM MODWRIGHT - PLEASE READ!!!!!
« on: 21 Oct 2010, 07:50 pm »
We are close to producing a product that would offer the following to ANY of our new mods or existing modified players!

1) Master clock circuit that is better than what is currently availble on the market.
2) Multiple RCA digital inputs for player - interfaced with clock unit - allowing any of our modified players to be used as a 'DAC'.
3) External digital inputs would be clocked via the clock/digital module, producing < 5 ps total jitter levels.

In short, ANY ModWright tube modified product could be used as a DAC, thus enabling you to take SPDIF digital from ANY source and play it through the DAC and upgraded tube stage in your existing modified player!

Essentially this is an upgrade that would serve as master clock upgrade AND add external digital inputs - multiple inputs if desired.

I need to know what level of interest there is in this technology.  USB input will not be a possibility.  At this point, the only interface available would be RCA (SP-DIF).

This design involves VERY proprietary technology and does utilize microprocessor controls.  This NOT just an amplified precise oscillator signal.

The module would be installed in the same way as a standard clock upgrade and would be no larger in size.

Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you.

I need to decide about this fast, so please let me know if you are intersted!

Pricing for upgrade is expected to be in the $750 range to achieve both exceptional master clock upgrade AND add digital input to ANY of our existing modified players!

Thanks!

Dan W.
« Last Edit: 27 May 2011, 04:18 pm by modwright »

mattyturner

Re: NEW TECH FROM MODWRIGHT - PLEASE READ!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: 21 Oct 2010, 07:56 pm »
So you could take oppo / sony and as well as provide output mods turn it into a dac with high quality master clock?

Uh, yes!

hrcapers

« Reply #2 on: 21 Oct 2010, 08:16 pm »
I can't think of an external source I would use, but would consider the upgrade if it made noticable improvement to the player itself! :D

AB

« Reply #3 on: 21 Oct 2010, 08:20 pm »
So a Logitech Touch could stream through an existing Sony or Oppo CDP?

I thought we could do this already... not that I've ever tried it.

jriggy

« Reply #4 on: 21 Oct 2010, 08:46 pm »
The MW transporter can do this but I do not believe the CDP's can... Until now obviously.

mmurt

« Reply #5 on: 21 Oct 2010, 10:15 pm »
Does anybody know if there is a "switch" available on the market that would enable multiple inputs like usb, toslink or coax with the SP-DIF output?  If so I think this sounds like a great idea.

Ern Dog

« Reply #6 on: 22 Oct 2010, 02:00 am »
Cool idea for those that have multiple sources.

For me, I only have my MW Oppo as a source, so I wouldn't have a use for the DAC portion of the mod and probably wouldn't spend $750 for a master clock upgrade.

mikel51

« Reply #7 on: 22 Oct 2010, 11:05 am »
What would this do for the quality of playback for the MWTP?

sfig

« Reply #8 on: 22 Oct 2010, 02:30 pm »
Yes, my question also.  Would this benefit the MWTP?

Syrah

« Reply #9 on: 22 Oct 2010, 02:32 pm »
I think this is a great idea.  I would likely do it, depending (of course) on how it sounds compared to some of the new stand alone DACs - some of which have the advantage of doing high res.  Getting your awesome output stage on to a top notch USB DAC might also meet with a popular response.

jackox

« Reply #10 on: 22 Oct 2010, 02:39 pm »
Hello Dan !

Well I did not know (you keep well your secrets).

If that can be done on my Oppo well go for it !
I'd be interested in one RCA SPDIF input and all that can be done (PSU please look into it).

Next in private message or Email I guess.

peabody

« Reply #11 on: 22 Oct 2010, 08:12 pm »
Dan:

Funny, I sent you mail about this a couple of weeks ago.  I'd love to have a digital input added to my Modwright Oppo BDP-83SE to take advantage of the Sabre DACs.  Sign me up!

Pete

chuckm

« Reply #12 on: 24 Oct 2010, 02:02 am »
Would be interested but USB is must have.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #13 on: 24 Oct 2010, 04:15 am »
Dan,

could you add this mod when you mod my new Oppo 83 SE next month?

Laura

modwright

« Reply #14 on: 26 Oct 2010, 08:03 am »
Hi guys, some changes to our initial thoughts of what could be offered:

First of all, the clock upgrade and digital input will have to be separate.  I am embarrassed to have to come back and say this, but further research concluded that the initial intent was not actually feasible - i.e. a digital input/clock module for ANY frequency.

We can add a RCA (SP-DIF) digital input to our player and DVD/Blue-Ray player mods.  The MWTP (Transporter) already has all of these capabilities, therefore would not benefit.

We could also look into designing a separate clock circuit also.  The ideal intent was to consolidate such a combination of clock and digital input circuit, hence the $750 proposed price.  Just adding SP-DIF (RCA) digital input would be less.

As far as adding multiple inputs, perhaps not necessary or desired.

At this point, I am thinking of simplifying as follows:

A single digital input, SP-DIF (RCA) for any of our modified players, DVD, blue-ray, etc.  There would be a simple toggle switch to select external digital input or internal (i.e. regular CD/DVD playback).

USB remains a conundrum for me as from what I can see, most implementations of this format are inferior to SP-DIF.  There is of course the convenience factor and I realize that there are a number of 'asynch' options that allow 24/96 and even 24/192 and do so very well.  My listening experience has proven SP-DIF digital inputs to still sound best however.  Having said this, there are many relatively inexpensive options of converting USB to SPDIF for use with any DAC, thus allowing for this data format even for DAC with SPDIF only input.

This project goes hand-in-hand with the DAC that we are designing for our LS 100 'DAC option'.  At this point, I have only designed for SP-DIF input...

Question to all of you.  How would a lack of USB input effect your decision to opt for this upgrade?  Do you consider USB to be a must?

How many of you are using computer-based audio systems that would require a USB connection?

I am trying, as always, to offer the highest value, highest performance option possible.  If cost were no object, then many things are possible.  As this is not the case, I am forced to look diligently at this project path and I welcome your feedback as you REPRESENT our customer base.

Sincerely,

Dan W.

peabody

« Reply #15 on: 26 Oct 2010, 04:07 pm »
What you're proposing is exactly what I'm looking for.  As I said in my email, the Oppo replaced a Cambridge 840C which has 2 digital inputs, one of which I used for my Squeezebox.  Instead of buying a standalone DAC, adding a SP-DIF input to the Oppo solves my problem.  I don't have a need for a USB connection.

One concern is the toggle switch.  I'm assuming you were planning on having this on the back of the player, but my equipment is in a wall unit so accessing the rear of the player would be problematic.  Would it be possible to have the switch on the front or perhaps on the side? Just a suggestion.

Pete

mmurt

« Reply #16 on: 26 Oct 2010, 04:15 pm »
So, if I have a squeezebox with coax out and a Sony ES CD Jute box with Toslink out I could use this device to switch between them?  I do not see me needing USB at this time.

http://www.inday.com/da4x/da4x.htm

Jon L

« Reply #17 on: 26 Oct 2010, 05:09 pm »
USB remains a conundrum for me as from what I can see, most implementations of this format are inferior to SP-DIF. 

I agree with you there, and I would personally love to see a single spdif input (choice of RCA or true 75 Ohm BNC option) that is implemented well, as simple as possible with least cost. 

If ModWright is to delve into "PC Audio" in ernest, I would much rather see a Firewire interface than USB. 

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #18 on: 26 Oct 2010, 05:29 pm »
I agree with you there, and I would personally love to see a single spdif input (choice of RCA or true 75 Ohm BNC option) that is implemented well, as simple as possible with least cost. 

If ModWright is to delve into "PC Audio" in ernest, I would much rather see a Firewire interface than USB.

+1.  A true 75 ohm BNC connection would be preferrable for S/PDIF (i.e if only one input let's do it right).  A firewire computer input would be the desirable of the two, but I am in agreement that it is best left to interface devices if you can't do it at a certain pricepoint.   there are several ESS Sabre DACs on the market, but nopne with Dan's glorious analog output stages, so adding a BNC S/PDIF in to the Oppo is a nice alternative, I think. 

srb

« Reply #19 on: 26 Oct 2010, 05:43 pm »
... there are several ESS Sabre DACs on the market, but nopne [none] with Dan's glorious analog output stages ...

Actually, there is one (not Dan's of course, but still a glorious analog tube output stage) - the Wavelength Crimson with Denominator module - but it is $7500+ !!!

Steve