Spatial Audio M3 Review

Tomy2Tone

Re: Spatial Audio M3 Review
« Reply #100 on: 17 Apr 2016, 01:26 pm »

I know right now I need to stay my course, but when I can I really want to get back on the road to some shows to hear the great stuff happening now.  It is very cool to see makers are mixing things up and trying out different setups.  I know it often happens behind closed doors, but getting the word out to people of different combinations of gear that works well together with first-hand accounts is something that I think is a somewhat untapped strength of the audio show model of marketing.  Not very many people have the opportunity to put so much gear in one place to try out different things and see up close what genuinely works well together unfiltered from the general "it does everything great" ad copy.

+1

TomS

« Reply #101 on: 17 Apr 2016, 01:32 pm »
Jonathon, the challenge with this is you have to be respectful of the people that actually wrote the big checks for those rooms. Swapping others' gear at shows and after hours demo's mixing it up are a very uncommon courtesy and definitely shouldn't be an expectation. As is often the case, you can screw up a perfectly set up system and not get it back for the rest of the show, among other issues.

These two were both most gracious in doing so (I brought my personal LIO in), but if either had said "no", I would have backed out with no regrets. That said, this sort of thing is what makes shows so much fun. It is, after all, a business, but it's obvious these guys love what they do and do it well  :thumb:

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #102 on: 17 Apr 2016, 01:54 pm »
Tom, very much agreed in regards to that balancing act, as well as the worry of messing up a delicately tuned in system being relied on as a maker's first (and often only) impression.

What I had intended with my thought was a positive commentary that it is exciting to me to see makers starting to show (as in during normal operating hours) with a variety of other makers.  It seemed a few years ago when I first got in to following these things, although the venues changed with each show, "vendor X, vendor Y, and vendor Z are in room 123" and the X, Y, and Z didn't change much.  Recently, and I might be wrong, I get the impression that folks who have never paired up before are finding each other and finding out new ways to combine gear to sound great together.  For example, Vinnie has now been showing with success with both Harbeth and Volti.  Daedalus has paired up with Modwright and Purity  (if memory serves) with great results, and I thought I remembered reading Lou will be showing sometime this year with Gary at Border Patrol (which is a room I think will sound awesome and would like to hear).

Tom, thanks for making this demo pairing happen with your LIO, and I hope that more off the record collaborations find their way to a bigger variety of on the record show rooms.  From the perspective of the people making and selling gear, it is one thing to say that your stuff pairs well with various other stuff; it is far more convincing and fun to experience when you can show people that it really works by creating the opportunity to hear the awesome for themselves.  :thumb:

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #103 on: 19 Apr 2016, 05:19 pm »
All,

Just posted about our after-hours listening session, here:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=142422.msg1520218#msg1520218

(just scroll down to the bottom of my post).

It was a lot of fun!  :drums:

And I'll say it again - the M3 Turbo's are smoking good for the $$$, and smoking good, period!   :smoke:

Thanks to Clayton Shaw for allowing for this (great to meet you!), TomS for bringin the LIO, jtwrace for bringing the killer demo cuts... and sorry we missed you, Jonathon, zybar, and others...

- Vinnie

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #104 on: 23 Apr 2016, 02:26 am »
Here's to hoping for a Spatial and Vinnie Rossi LIO room at RMAF 2016.   :thumb:

reillyzing

« Reply #105 on: 2 May 2016, 12:40 am »
Just ordered a pair of M3 Turbo S's. Should be an interesting comparison with them and the Odyssey Lorelei's and Nola KO's.  Unfortunately have far to many amps to try with them from the Music Reference RM-10 on the low side to the mAMPS on the high side with the Kismet's in between.  I suspect the mAMPS which Clayton used to sell along with the Nuprime ST-10 will be good matches.

A comparison to the Lorelei would be great, if possible. I've been following Odyssey equipment discussion as closely as possible for a few years, and now the Spatial M3 have really piqued my interest, as well.

genjamon

« Reply #106 on: 2 May 2016, 12:53 am »
A comparison to the Lorelei would be great, if possible. I've been following Odyssey equipment discussion as closely as possible for a few years, and now the Spatial M3 have really piqued my interest, as well.

These are two very different speakers. I'm not sure a comparison would be useful. They load the room completely differently, and other component synergies are likely to be quite different.

I have heard them both in my system, though several years apart and very different electronics between the two time periods. I would hesitate to compare them.

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #107 on: 2 May 2016, 01:25 am »
These are two very different speakers.

A comparison should be easy since they are so different.

Rocket Ronny

genjamon

« Reply #108 on: 2 May 2016, 01:34 am »
A comparison should be easy since they are so different.

Rocket Ronny

Fine. Both are warm and punchy within their respective genres of speaker design. One is medium efficiency. One is high efficiency. One is open baffle, one ported box.

Biggest question is whether you like OB sound over boxed sound in your room/system, and depends on whether your electronics like high or medium efficiency better for your tastes.

In other words, good luck getting meaningful feedback for actual decision making if you don't yet know your OB and electronics personal preferences and synergies already, and those of the person commenting.

Better to just take Clayton up on his trial period and hear them in your own system.

reillyzing

« Reply #109 on: 2 May 2016, 01:50 am »
Fine. Both are warm and punchy within their respective genres of speaker design. One is medium efficiency. One is high efficiency. One is open baffle, one ported box.

Biggest question is whether you like OB sound over boxed sound in your room/system, and depends on whether your electronics like high or medium efficiency better for your tastes.

In other words, good luck getting meaningful feedback for actual decision making if you don't yet know your OB and electronics personal preferences and synergies already, and those of the person commenting.

Better to just take Clayton up on his trial period and hear them in your own system.
My own system doesn't exist. I'd be new to higher quality audio, since I've only ever used AudioEngine 5 and 5+ speakers.
Don't think I'll be getting out to any shops or shows either to audition anything...If I went the Odyssey route, I'd likely get a complete system from them.

genjamon

« Reply #110 on: 2 May 2016, 01:59 am »
My own system doesn't exist. I'd be new to higher quality audio, since I've only ever used AudioEngine 5 and 5+ speakers.
Don't think I'll be getting out to any shops or shows either to audition anything...If I went the Odyssey route, I'd likely get a complete system from them.

The Spatial will likely be more versatile longer term in terms of matching with electronics. But being open baffle, they will want quite a bit of space from rear walls, and potentially side walls as well, to hear what they can really do.

Lorelei's will also want space from rear and side walls, but for very different reasons.

Spatials will be more placement flexible in my opinion, as long as you can get them out into the room plenty while listening. The benefit with them the way Clayton has designed them is that you can easily stow them up against walls when not in use and move them out into the room when ready to listen. Lorelei's would be pretty heavy to do that with, and difficult to get them in their optimized space again.

reillyzing

« Reply #111 on: 2 May 2016, 02:04 am »
The Spatial will likely be more versatile longer term in terms of matching with electronics. But being open baffle, they will want quite a bit of space from rear walls, and potentially side walls as well, to hear what they can really do.

Lorelei's will also want space from rear and side walls, but for very different reasons.

Spatials will be more placement flexible in my opinion, as long as you can get them out into the room plenty while listening. The benefit with them the way Clayton has designed them is that you can easily stow them up against walls when not in use and move them out into the room when ready to listen. Lorelei's would be pretty heavy to do that with, and difficult to get them in their optimized space again.
Regarding distance from walls, would room treatment allow for closer placement? Thank you.

mirekti

« Reply #112 on: 2 May 2016, 06:57 am »
This weekend I attended a quite family friendly audio show in Dallas and the sound I liked the most was in room 202 which was from open baffle speakers using GR Research designs.
Given the fact the speaker's appearance is quite important ...to my wife, I wondered how would you compare M3 to other OB designs?
I ask this as those speakers I've heard in room 202 were fully open baffle whilst M3 are open baffle from 800Hz and down.
What attracted me a lot was the bass didn't pressurize the room at all and this was a very pleasant experience. The stage was quite deep and the sweet spot was not limited only to the center.

Could someone put few words on the sweet spot of these speakers? Can more than one person enjoy these speakers at the same time?

gnostalgick

« Reply #113 on: 2 May 2016, 11:47 am »
When I heard the M3s at Axpona, they were truly amazing in the sweet spot, comparing favorably to far more expensive rooms.  They weren't bad outside that, but if the average speaker can be said to sound twice as good in the sweet spot, these were more like 4 or 5 times better.  Hopefully someone who owns them has played around with positioning.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #114 on: 2 May 2016, 12:25 pm »
Regarding distance from walls, would room treatment allow for closer placement? Thank you.
Room treatments will certainly offer better results regardless.  However, due to the constant directivity design and proper use of a waveguide the overall affect is quite a bit less.  The proximity with these speakers to the side walls will actually increase the mid-bass whereas pulling them in (away from side walls) will decrease the mid-bass.  Either way you should not have an issue. 

Yesterday I listened for way too long than I'm wiling to admit and these speakers are just stellar.  I'm really impressed!   

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #115 on: 2 May 2016, 12:26 pm »
When I heard the M3s at Axpona, they were truly amazing in the sweet spot, comparing favorably to far more expensive rooms.  They weren't bad outside that, but if the average speaker can be said to sound twice as good in the sweet spot, these were more like 4 or 5 times better.  Hopefully someone who owns them has played around with positioning.
I'd agree with this.  :thumb:

mirekti

« Reply #116 on: 4 May 2016, 04:57 am »
Would it be a problem for the M3 owners to post some pictures of their setup?
Given their size, it is kind of hard to imagine how much space they occupy in a room.

mirekti

« Reply #117 on: 8 May 2016, 12:41 am »
Oh, one more thing that came to my mind.
For those who had a chance to listen to both, Spatial M3 and Harbeth (best case SHL5 plus), with LIO could you give some words of comparison, please?

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #118 on: 8 May 2016, 01:15 am »
Oh, one more thing that came to my mind.
For those who had a chance to listen to both, Spatial M3 and Harbeth (best case SHL5 plus), with LIO could you give some words of comparison, please?
IMO they're TOTALLY different like an apple to orange.  Spatial has a generous 60 day return policy so perhaps you should go that route.  I'm pretty convinced that anyone that orders them will keep them.   :D

Berto

« Reply #119 on: 8 May 2016, 02:18 am »
Would it be a problem for the M3 owners to post some pictures of their setup?
Given their size, it is kind of hard to imagine how much space they occupy in a room.

Axpona just happened in a 18'x12' hotel room. Lots of good pics online if you do a search.