SALK PICS PICS PICS!!!!

Nuance

Re: SALK PICS PICS PICS!!!!
« Reply #20 on: 25 Jan 2009, 02:30 am »
Those are stupendous!  WOW!   :drool:

So, has a name been settled on yet, or are they just the open baffle Salk speakers?   :lol:

AliG - that place looks amazing.  I think you'll enjoy it.  ;)

rydenfan

« Reply #21 on: 25 Jan 2009, 04:54 am »
Both your speakers and your new residence look incredible  :drool:

Best of luck  :thumb:

Rocket

« Reply #22 on: 25 Jan 2009, 11:37 am »
Hi AliG,

Well the location looks really good and I hope you enjoy yourself snorkling.

I'm going to Singapore and Malaysia in August for a holiday.

Regards

Rod

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #23 on: 25 Jan 2009, 03:12 pm »
They look marvelous !!! Once again...nice work Jim.... :thumb:

Enjoy those speakers Barry....looking forward to your comments.... :beer:

Chris

AliG

« Reply #24 on: 25 Jan 2009, 04:08 pm »
August 2009?? I'll be chairing a conference at the twin-towers:

If you want to check out local Hi-Fi scene, shoot me a pm and we can meet up for few hours, you can easily shake off your family by tell them to go shopping at one of the big malls - Suria KLCC or Mid Valley Mega Mall. The risk is that you may not have money left to buy new speakers for the the next several years  :lol: :lol: :green:

Hi AliG,

Well the location looks really good and I hope you enjoy yourself snorkling.

I'm going to Singapore and Malaysia in August for a holiday.

Regards

Rod
« Last Edit: 25 Jan 2009, 08:08 pm by AliG »

carusoracer

« Reply #25 on: 25 Jan 2009, 07:51 pm »
Rod, I'll be going to a city called "Kota Kinabalu" - East of Malaysia. I plan to be there for 4 years, enjoying the snorkeling and fresh seafood.. :drool: :drool:

There're plenty of gorgeous islands around the city... :wink:

Hi AliG,

Wow,

Nice pictures!!
Let me know if you need help moving :lol:
Good luck looks like a beautiful place.

I have heard this particular phl midrange driver on my occasions mated with a ribbon tweeter.  It is sounds very good, transparent and plenty of detail.

The aeg driver must be very good.

I hope you enjoy this speaker.

Regards

Rod

ps which country are you going to live in?

Jeff B.

« Reply #26 on: 27 Jan 2009, 02:29 am »
Joshk, the difference is in the tweeter, the previous one uses a dome tweeter. This version uses a ribbon G2.

Jim is still working on a 'better' version using a AE 6.5" mid. But I'm leaving the country in Feb (next month!) so I couldn't wait for that new version. I heard the PHL mid in the "Pharos" speaker and I didn't hear anything wrong with it.

carusoracer, the veneer is tineo.. :wink:

So you have heard the new speaker and Pharos, both? I would love to hear your thoughts on the new one when you get them set up. Personally, I love what Jim did with my design. The look he gave it is absolutely fabulous. This is certainly one of my favorite speakers ever, not just in how they sound, but also in how they look. They are dynamic, efortlessly clean, and very open...and they are truly a work of art in their beauty. It's up to Jim, but I think the version with the G2 ribbon may become the standard version of the speaker. As for the midrange, we will have to wait and see how things turn out. Availability is part of the issue, but I am very happy with the performance of the PHL and that's why I used it in the Pharos and in the original version of the new speaker. In this type of application as a high efficiency midrange the PHL is really a top of the line performer and takes a back seat to nothing else. The Lambda TD12H woofer is step up from anything else in this class, so I think the combination of drivers you have are exceptional and very hard to beat. As Jim said, the sensitivity is a true 93.5 dB, maybe a touch higher actually, based on what I have seen on the computer. The impedance is nominally 8 ohms with a small easy drop to around 5 ohms in the upper bass, but with a very easy phase angle. The impedance maximum above the box peaks is only 10 ohms, so it is a very stable load to drive. Most any amp should be happy with these. In the top end they are a flat resistive 7 ohms - no ultrasonic issues here. We all have our talents, but as a crossover guy I am really amazed at what Jim and his guys can do with these works of art in veneer.

Jeff B.
« Last Edit: 30 Jan 2009, 01:56 am by Jeff B. »

AliG

« Reply #27 on: 27 Jan 2009, 06:00 am »
Hi Jeff,
  Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the speakers. According to FedEx tracking, I will receive it on Wednesday, I hope it doesn't take me too long to hook it up. Then I will post my opinion on it.  :thumb:

barry

Only Vinyl

« Reply #28 on: 28 Jan 2009, 12:43 pm »
Barry:
Two words - Absolutely stunning.
Now that you are leaving in February it appears I will have to order my own set in order to compare them to the Pharos.
It is like we discussed, Jim is an absolute Master and I flat out know you will not be disappointed. 
Since Jeff did the cross over, there is no way to have it constructed any better than what you have.
When he sent me the pictures of the Pharos I had them up on my screen at work and my supervisor walked in and said "Wow, bet you cannot wait to receive those".
BTW - if you need to leave a place to store them for the four years that you are gone, I know the absolute perfect room.
Enjoy and my best congratulations to you on having a really beautiful set of speakers.
John

AliG

« Reply #29 on: 28 Jan 2009, 07:21 pm »
John, thanks for your gracious words!!! :thumb: :thumb:

Guess what appeared at my door today..  aa aa

Barry:
Two words - Absolutely stunning.
Now that you are leaving in February it appears I will have to order my own set in order to compare them to the Pharos.
It is like we discussed, Jim is an absolute Master and I flat out know you will not be disappointed. 
Since Jeff did the cross over, there is no way to have it constructed any better than what you have.
When he sent me the pictures of the Pharos I had them up on my screen at work and my supervisor walked in and said "Wow, bet you cannot wait to receive those".
BTW - if you need to leave a place to store them for the four years that you are gone, I know the absolute perfect room.
Enjoy and my best congratulations to you on having a really beautiful set of speakers.
John

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #30 on: 28 Jan 2009, 07:49 pm »
Woot!

Can't wait for your impressions.

conanb

« Reply #31 on: 29 Jan 2009, 05:22 pm »
Sorry but not my cup of tea to see "exposed speakers,"   But interesting from an acoustic and DIY point of view.

I think I will hang onto my HT3s.

HerculePirate

« Reply #32 on: 29 Jan 2009, 10:03 pm »
I have no CLUE as to what the Open Baffle speakers sounds like and what kind of music is bet represented and to whom it caters to...
Anyone????

Regards

HP

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #33 on: 29 Jan 2009, 10:18 pm »
I have no CLUE as to what the Open Baffle speakers sounds like and what kind of music is bet represented and to whom it caters to...
Anyone????

Regards

HP

Probably kind of hard to paint with broad strokes and categorize how Open Baffle speakers sound.  Also keep in mind, only the mid and tweeter are open baffle, the woofer is not.

As to whom this and all other Salk speakers caters to...that's easy, anybody who enjoys listening to music!   :dance:

George

funkmonkey

« Reply #34 on: 29 Jan 2009, 11:55 pm »
It's my understanding that Jim introduced this design as a highly efficient alternative that could easily be driven by lower wattage tube amps.  Seeing as how the HT3s are such a hungry speaker, this idea makes a lot of sense, and helps to round out the line-up.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #35 on: 30 Jan 2009, 12:11 am »
Right--it fills a void for tube lovers at the expense of some bass response, and it also provides the opportunity to experience the rather unique open-baffle midrange sound.  BTW--the tweeter is not open baffle.  Just the mid.   There's only one G2 tweet, and it's sealed. 

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #36 on: 30 Jan 2009, 12:18 am »
Right--it fills a void for tube lovers at the expense of some bass response, and it also provides the opportunity to experience the rather unique open-baffle midrange sound.  BTW--the tweeter is not open baffle.  Just the mid.   There's only one G2 tweet, and it's sealed. 

Thanks for the correction Dennis.   :thumb:

Only Vinyl

« Reply #37 on: 30 Jan 2009, 04:36 am »
That low end driver is a perfect match for the tube amplifiers.
On the speakers that Jim constructed for me and with how Jeff configured the cross over, you have a system that will deliver the bass response.
Barry will not only have a really nice sounding bass end but it is also going to be very tight.
I have a Leonard Cohen record album and the sound reproduction is very natural and realistic.
This set up does an excellent job of making you feel that the artist is present and making the speaker disappear.
Barry - Sarah loaned me her Atma-Spheres, so maybe this time I will get to hear an OTL that has a bottom end. 
The Einstein had a wonderful midrange but there was nothing else except the mids, very disappointing, especially when considering the cost of that amplifier.
Enjoy and only the best on your move to your new home.
You have my home email, so stay in touch,
John

grenamc

« Reply #38 on: 31 Jan 2009, 10:01 am »
Enjoy the Atma-Sphere gear.  They pretty much build exactly the kind of gear I want.  Love their amps.  Enjoy the Auras as well.  They certainly are beautiful.

-Michael

rydenfan

« Reply #39 on: 2 Feb 2009, 07:54 pm »
Barry, any thoughts on how they sound? any pics of the setup? Inquiring minds want to know  :D