Any way to tell a Mac a DAC can accept 192kHz even tho it registers as 96kHz?

rbpeirce

Yes, I have such an animal.  I'm trying to use Pure Music to play bookmarked tracks from memory, which it can do when sending to a 192kHz DAC.  Unfortunately, if it thinks the DAC can only accept 96kHz it downsample and tries to play from disk.  It can't do that because bookmarked tracks can only play from memory.  The solution is to let the mac know the DAC can accept 192kHz (which it downsamples).  Anybody know of a way to do that?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Yes, I have such an animal.  I'm trying to use Pure Music to play bookmarked tracks from memory, which it can do when sending to a 192kHz DAC.  Unfortunately, if it thinks the DAC can only accept 96kHz it downsample and tries to play from disk.  It can't do that because bookmarked tracks can only play from memory.  The solution is to let the mac know the DAC can accept 192kHz (which it downsamples).  Anybody know of a way to do that?
Seems the files are 96 not 192, seems the Mac send the files as they are, unless MAC is seted to send 96 as max value or MAC dont accept 192 by hardware limit.

srb

Which MAC and which DAC do you have?

Are you connecting via USB rather than optical TOSLINK?

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
As far as I know, a Mac is only good for up to 96K PCM from its optical output.

Frank

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
SMT optical Toslink max sampling rate is 96 not sure how much, originally was  limited to 48/20 bits, but it was expanded.

Phil A

PS - Welcome to AC!

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer

avta

As SRB mentioned you should be able to do that using usb out to your dac if possible as long as the player software controls the resolution of the files.

brj

Those are common limits for optical across most computing platforms that I've used.  As others have mentioned, higher rates are available over USB.  (I routinely play DSD256 over USB from my 2012 Mac Mini running both Mac OS 10.9 and 10.14.)

rbpeirce

Before I start, is there some way to "subscribe" to this thread so I can get an email when anybody replies?

I suspect I have not explained myself well.  In this case I don't have the option of using Mac's digital output.

My LPs (6600 tracks, currently) are encoded at 192kHz in CAF files using Pure Vinyl.  I am using Pure Vinyl iTunes bookmarks to save space.  ITunes is the music server.  I use Pure Music to play the tracks.  ITunes tells Pure Music where the tracks are.  In the case of bookmarked tracks, iTunes tells Pure Music where the file is that identifies where the track is in the CAF file.  Pure Music goes to that address and plays the track at the sample rate specified for the DAC.

Any DAC (including built-in output) connected to the Mac identifies itself to the computer and appears in Auto MIDI Setup showing the sample rates it can accept.  I enter an available target rate, usually the maximum rate, in Pure Music's Audio Setup menu.  Pure Music uses that information to determine what it can send to the DAC.

If the DAC can only accept something lower than 192kHz, Pure Music downsamples the track to that rate.  However, for reasons know only to Rob Robinson, a downsampled track can only be played from a physical track file but a bookmarked track can only be played from memory.  Hence, a downsampled track from a CAF file cannot be played.

Every DAC I have used in the past told AMS it could handle 192kHz, and I've never had a problem.  Recently I acquired a Legacy Wavelet which has the interesting characteristic of being a 96kHz DAC that can accept and downsample 192kHz and higher data.  Unfortunately, it tells the Mac it can only accept up to 96kHz.  [And so does the Mac's digital output in my 2012 Mac mini.]

I seem to be dealing with two bugs here.  Pure Music should not make downsampled music unplayable from bookmarks and Legacy should say that it can actually handle 192kHz.  I can't do anything about this but I am hoping there is some way to have the Mac work around these problems.

adminRH

• Admin
Before I start, is there some way to "subscribe" to this thread so I can get an email when anybody replies?

Press the 'Notify' button at the top of the posts on this page.

Press the same button to 'Unnotify' from that thread.

Don't forget to set your notification settings in your user profile.

rbpeirce

There is no notify button:

avta

I did a bit of online research and it seems that you may have to convert the CAF files to MP3 or other file format before they can be played. If you're going to use iTunes then AAC would work as well. Other formats can be obtained using either online conversion or stand alone programs. If you Google " How convert CAF to MP3 files " you will find a number of helpful sites.

Johnny2Bad

I'm not sure you have yet received the best advice on this topic, but if you are going to do any format transformation on a Mac you use XLD. I prefer it even when iTunes or other Audio player offers to convert or rip Mac audio.

https://tmkk.undo.jp/xld/index_e.html

rbpeirce

Avta: I did a bit of online research and it seems that you may have to convert the CAF files to MP3 or other file format before they can be played.

Okay.  Not only can I not find a Notify button I can't find how to insert a quote.  I did this manually and it may or may not work.

Avta is correct.  I already investigated that.  The easiest way is to reload the CAF file into Pure Vinyl and render it as music files instead of bookmarks.  These can be loaded into iTunes and the meta-data and album art added.  I timed it.  With 832 LPs (today) and allocating an hour a day I could probably accomplish this in 4-6 months!!  I suspect Legacy will release a 192kHz DAC before that.

In the meantime, the best solution remains for the Mac to know the Wavelet can accept 192kHz data.

gefski

I'm not sure you have yet received the best advice on this topic, but if you are going to do any format transformation on a Mac you use XLD. I prefer it even when iTunes or other Audio player offers to convert or rip Mac audio.

https://tmkk.undo.jp/xld/index_e.html

I rip my CDs to AIFF using iTunes, keeping them at 16/44. Would be interested in your comments about reasons I might want to use XLD instead. Thanks!

avta

I do not believe XLD can unpack CAF files but would also be my preference for file conversion.

Johnny2Bad

I rip my CDs to AIFF using iTunes, keeping them at 16/44. Would be interested in your comments about reasons I might want to use XLD instead. Thanks!

Well, the main one is that while both iTunes and XLD can employ the Redbook Standard Error Correction routines (which are very robust, by the way), XLD has more robust routines to employ when ripping CDs, and recognizes when they are needed. Sometimes with iTunes, you get a read error, even on a new CD, and it's annoying to be listening to your rip and realize there is an error in (typically) one of the tracks. XLD will re-read, slow down the read speed, and in general is more robust when it comes to accurate rips.

99% of the time iTunes, especially if you enable the Redbook error correction routines, does a perfectly good job. But I don't like 99% ... I want 100% and no worries (= no need to review the rip immediately ... that's helpful if you're doing more than one or two discs at the same session).

Maybe it's not something that newer Mac users are concerned with, but I come from the old PowerPC era (and before, but 680x0 is just not as good due to software and speed) which was absolutely bulletproof with audio. I'm talking 8 channels of live 24/96 recording and monitoring in real time* and not having to use a dedicated machine and zero errors, ever. I mean ever.

When I used my first Intel Mac I was shocked to find dropouts in my live recordings. It took ten years of x86 Macs before they equaled a 400 MHz PPC Mac as far as rock-solid audio reliability goes. Even i7s are just as good, not better. On PPC I never had to monitor, I just did a quick level, watched the screen, and relaxed. Sometimes I would use the same machine for some other sumultaneous task ... yeah, I know. Stupid Mac user, doesn't know how to run an Intel machine. But I honestly didn't expect a problem.

I also buy used CDs and sometimes there are tracks that iTunes just can't rip cleanly. Give the job to XLD and be prepared to have a perfect result. It might take a half hour or even longer, but it will extract a good track eventually in most cases.

So, for me, it's XLD for all rips, it works good and has decent iTunes compatibility. For a Redbook CD I will rip to 16/44 Apple Lossless. I also use that format on my old-school Classic 160 iPod. They are always perfect.

Although it's impossible to avoid on the webs, I don't have any mp3 files to speak of on my iTunes Music Library hard drive(s). What is there are some files where the originals are mixed down to mp3 / etc as part of the project, but I have lossy compressed formats set to open and play in QuickTime player (the actual engine iTunes uses) rather than iTunes if double-clicked. In that way they are never copied to the iTunes library or added to any iTunes track list.

* I had a couple of different Mac towers, 400 to 867 MHz PPC G4's, with an RME Digi96/8 sound card; this was basically 12 to 20 years ago. In-Studio and live recording in clubs.

adminRH

• Admin
There is no notify button:

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Please read this, then please file a bug report here.