Mustang Fuel Pump Relay....HELP

Roger A. Modjeski

Mustang Fuel Pump Relay....HELP
« on: 3 Aug 2007, 01:20 am »
Anyone know the location of the fuel pump relay on a 99 Mustang V-6 conv. I know it has one but its not in the fuse box with the other relays, unless it is there and mismarked. I only have the owners manual and my friendly mechanic who has gone home for the day.

Roger

Monolith

Re: Mustang Fuel Pump Relay....HELP
« Reply #1 on: 3 Aug 2007, 02:13 am »
1997's had it under the seat.  Might take a look there.

Did you already check the fuel reset switch in the trunk?

Roger A. Modjeski

« Reply #2 on: 3 Aug 2007, 03:48 am »
Checked the impact cutout. After several hours of tracing I think the fuel pump is open... rather odd. They keep switching colors as they go through various connectors. Where can one find a wiring diagram?

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #3 on: 3 Aug 2007, 06:04 am »
Roger....
You might get an answer here.....or...here.. :thumb:

Roger A. Modjeski

« Reply #4 on: 7 Aug 2007, 05:56 am »
Thanks for your help. I determined after much poking around that the the pump had no continuity even at the last connector in the chain. I got a pump from NAPA and a mechanic to drop the gas tank and put it in. I will be getting the dead one back for autopsy purposes. I never tire of noting what makes something fail.

Roger

Roger A. Modjeski

« Reply #5 on: 9 Aug 2007, 09:06 am »
now that I have it all fixed I want to close this topic. Anyone know how that works?

richidoo

« Reply #6 on: 9 Aug 2007, 01:49 pm »
You, as Facilitator, of this forum should be able to see a lock button, maybe at the bottom of the screen (scroll down). Not sure where it is located on the AC forum software. That's what you wanna do. You could delete this post too, since it is irrelevant to the thread.
:)

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #7 on: 9 Aug 2007, 02:45 pm »
I will be getting the dead one back for autopsy purposes. I never tire of noting what makes something fail.
Roger, DON'T put power to that pump!!!!!  :o

That form of pump is designed to operate while submerged. If it's sitting on your workbench and you apply power to it, it may spark internally. Well....there's fuel vapors inside. Bad things happen.
Sorry to continue the thread, but I saw potential for bad things.

Bob

Roger A. Modjeski

« Reply #8 on: 10 Aug 2007, 03:28 am »
Thanks for the caution. I wasn't thinking of powering it at first, just giving it a good looking over to see how its made. I want all the gas out anyway before i bring it in the lab.

The car does seem to run better now. I suppose the fuel pressure might have been low for awhile. About 2 months ago it was getting hard to start.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #9 on: 10 Aug 2007, 12:13 pm »
Good deal Roger,
Being in the auto repair industry, I can get you specs, information, component locators, etc... on your Mustang.
Let me know through PM's or this thread if I can help.

Bob