Comparing Cherry Amps to ncore

Cheeseboy

Re: Comparing Cherry Amps to ncore
« Reply #120 on: 19 Dec 2012, 08:33 pm »
Interesting concept.  Class D Hybrid design.  I really like my Cherry with the tubes in a preamp up front.  I'd like to hear that amp.  Lemme know if it gets to Nor Cal. 

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
« Reply #121 on: 10 Jan 2016, 04:28 pm »
If you've always wanted a Maraschino or Classic Cherry Amp, here's your chance:
http://kck.st/1NWutrj

Please let me know if you can provide a comparison.  Not limited to nCore comarisons, but they seem to be the only Class-D competing with Cherry.

By the way, even if you don't want to pick up the DAC DAC or a Cherry amp, please consider pledging $1 to our Kickstarter.  Just $1 gets us another backer on our team, and we're trying to get to 100 backers by Wednesday.

Thanks, all.  Have a great Sunday!

-Tommy O

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #122 on: 2 May 2017, 02:41 am »
Our Maraschino Video Series Kickstarter runs until May 13 (Eastern time zone)!  A great selection of rewards including:

Stereo Maraschino
    Classic Cherry Motherboard Upgrade (Maraschino Sonics with Much Power)
    External Linear Toroidal Power Supply for Maraschino
    USB to SPDIF converter
    DAC DAC (both HS and TL types)
    Golden Cherry
    "Megaschino" - Classic Cherry on the outside, Maraschino on the inside
    MORE!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/378044010/maraschino-video-series

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #123 on: 1 Jun 2017, 03:15 am »
Some simple answers to common related questions....

Q: Why haven't I heard of Cherry Amplifiers or Digital Amplifier Company before?
A: In a word, ADVERTISING.  We do almost none of it.  Why?  More value for our customers.  Same goes with trade shows.  Here's a little something about the company, and about ME:
http://positive-feedback.com/interviews/tommy-obrien-digital-amplifier-co/

Q: Why are Cherry Amplifiers different?
A: We design for sonics.  Our impressive bench measurements may be a few dB less here and there than the "competition", but very much world class.  Number one is the sound for us.

Q: Are Class-AB or Class-A amps better than Class-D?
A: In some cases, yes, but Class-D can achieve higher levels of sonic performance when done right, aside from some extreme cases in analog amps (the $100k, 300 lb variety?).  However, within reasonable cost constraints, well designed Class-D can outperform conventional amplifiers in every respect that matters for listening.  The problem is that almost all Class-D suffers from a serious design flaw.

Q: What is this serious Class-D design flaw you speak of?
A: Simply put, control.  Technically, feedback control/topology.  The sad truth is that almost every Class-D designer uses gobs and GOBS of negative feedback and/or complex phase shifting networks to get decent, and sometimes deceivingly amazing bench measurements.  Most audiophiles know the difference between sonic performance and bench measurements, but the misconception of better measurements tending to mean better sound is no coincidence.  Old fashioned amplifiers were much easier to tell apart that way.

Q: Why do you (Cherry Amplifier®) claim better sound than other Class-D amps?
A: Our designs, which are home-grown, are first put together with ideal component values to get noise and distortion well below audible levels, then we tweak the circuits for sonic improvement.  This usually costs us a little bit in the specifications, but is a tremendous advantage sonically.  The other reason is that we DO NOT use gobs of feedback.  We DO NOT use complex phase compensation networks.  Instead, we make our output circuits well controlled and we make our output filters inaudible.  This way, we don't need to put a massive feedback loop around the amplifier, which is the way just about everybody else is doing it, even today after the lessons the 1980s taught us.  Fact is, most Class-D designers weren't designers back in the 1980s.  Not to age myself, but I was, and I remember the strident and screechy sound of the old Adcom Class-AB amps with their obscene amounts of corrective feedback.  Remember that feedback can't correct for errors that already happened, so it changes the future signal such that the average over time adds up to approximately the desired signal.  Did you catch that?  The error happens, then the counter error happens, and all this is going into your speaker, then into your ears!

If you enjoyed this post, feel free to ask for more of the same.  Believe me, I could go on and on and on....

-Tommy O

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #124 on: 4 Apr 2018, 02:16 am »
This is from a recent article in 6moons....

"Despite their spectacular S/N ratio, the highly damped nCore amps with their copious use of negative feedback clamp down prematurely on these faintest of HF decays. They also obscure certain upper harmonic occurrences altogether unless I increase overall SPL to have them resurface. Here the affordable €1'200 50wpc class A/B Mosfet Stello amp is demonstrably superior. By roughly the same distance, the Liszt monos exceeded the little Korean on the inverted ceramic tweeters. The explanation could be their exploded bandwidth with a resultant lack of phase shift in the audible range; and less extreme damping factor than the nCores. Though certain switch-mode amps do have very good treble for class D—Digital Amplifier Company's Maraschino comes to mind...."

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #125 on: 9 Apr 2021, 03:12 am »
Upgrade from "VTV AMPLIFIER Stereo Hypex NC502MP NCore 500WX2" to Cherry 60V KING Desktop Maraschino monoblocks:
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=127654.msg1851492#msg1851492

GregC

« Reply #126 on: 9 Apr 2021, 03:20 am »
Tommy's amps have powered my 2 channel and HT systems for the last few years.  I was an early adopter of his Maraschino products (shortly after Tommy introduced his inline amps).  Tommy is one of the good guys who produces products of superior performance and value, and goes out of his way to look after his customers. :thumb: