Re: Solid state amp options
« Reply #20 on: 3 Apr 2019, 10:36 am »
Probably the IFI Itube2 would be great.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #21 on: 3 Apr 2019, 03:29 pm »
This:https://www.hifisystemcomponents.com/amplifiers/proprius-power-amplifier.html
or this:https://emotiva.com/collections/amps/products/pa-1

The Proprius is not class D and the PA-1 is Class D.

I'm running a TPA3116 Class D with my CAMs and the synergy is wonderful.

tdogzthmn

« Reply #22 on: 20 Jun 2019, 06:00 am »
After a lot of tweaking, I was finally able to get my Sansui AU-517 to work well with my Omegas.

Previously the amp was overpowering, and could only be used at 5% volume before getting too loud.  There is a switch on the back which internally de-couples the power amp from the pre amp for use independently.  I used a pair of -12dB in line attenuators and a short RCA cable to externally reconnect the two stages and lower the input voltage into the power amp section.  This has allowed me get much more play out of the volume knob.  Its got some other nice features which I find useful such as tone controls and two phono inputs.   

I plan to use this combination for a few weeks before comparing against my 2 wpc SET amp to see what changes I notice.

tdogzthmn

« Reply #23 on: 20 Jun 2019, 06:07 am »
Probably the IFI Itube2 would be great.

Would you be using this as a pre-amp for another power amp?

SuperXRSSeattle

« Reply #24 on: 20 Jun 2019, 01:01 pm »
Louis, just recently, pointed me toward the Vista Audio Spark (Class A/B 20W) for my Super 3 XRS. Looks like that Burson puts out a few more watts.

Can someone tell me what the Burson spec at parts connection means?
Inputs: 2 X RCA (2V RMS line level)

My preamp puts out 8V RMS. I'm wondering if I'll hit a headroom problem with the preamp volume knob?

(ps. This seems cool: Bang has a built-in buffer stage with selectable impedance levels.)

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #25 on: 20 Jun 2019, 03:16 pm »
   Nelson Pass First Watt amps.

charles

RDavidson

« Reply #26 on: 20 Jun 2019, 04:00 pm »
Yup. First Watt. Look for the single ended class A designs.
Of the Pass Labs (XA series) amps I've tried, I'm enjoying the XA-25 very much. It really straddles the line between the First Watt and Pass Labs lines beautifully. I would describe it as a big First Watt amp a bit moreso than a baby Pass Labs amp. I think at least some folks here will follow what I mean by that. :D

guillaume bougard

« Reply #27 on: 21 Jul 2019, 08:50 am »
After using tube amps for the last 10 years or so, I finally took the plunge and hooked my Audio-GD Master 10 amp to my Gangsta Omegas.

Here is the beast:
http://audio-gd.com/Master/Master102019/Master-102019EN.htm

The result took a while to get used to as the mellowness of the tubes no longer smoothed things out, revealing more trebles and more bass in the process, while the mids seemed a tad less present.

After a couple of days trying hard not to correct the sound with the mini EQ I got from Schiit, I am now enjoying this combination tremendously and it seems (I don't want to sound too definitive) like the Omega Gangstas are revealing their awesomeness more.

PS = I have no interest in Audio-GD. I have a DAC from them and it is also a superb piece of equipment.

guillaume bougard

« Reply #28 on: 21 Jul 2019, 08:56 am »
I just posted on another thread how much I like my Audio-GD amp

http://audio-gd.com/Master/Master102019/Master-102019EN.htm

I pair it with Gangsta Omegas (see the thread I created to review these awesome custom built speakers) and I'm happy

PS = it took me a while to get used to non-tube sound and I'm still thinking I'd love it if I could have two amps in my system

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #29 on: 21 Jul 2019, 12:01 pm »
Other great integrated amps options are Dayens Ampino or Menuetto, and Odyssey Cyclops at only $1095.

rodge827

« Reply #30 on: 21 Jul 2019, 01:56 pm »
I have a pair of Charney Audio Maestro horns with the Omega RS7 driver. I have listened to them with many types of SS amplification and have found the Digital Amplifier Company (DAC) Stereo Maraschino (STM) to be the best. If your budget won't allow the DAC STM the Allo Volt+D is a great bargain amp. Both are single input integrated amps with plenty of power to drive the Omega's.

https://www.cherryamp.com/stereo-maraschino-stm

https://www.allo.com/sparky/volt-plus-d-amp.html

tdogzthmn

« Reply #31 on: 29 Jul 2019, 04:55 am »
I finally got around to setting up my Firstwatt F5 amp in my system with my Sansui as a preamp.

This amp really does sound fantastically detailed and clear.  I sometimes felt the Junior 8XRS was lacking in treble extension but the F5 seems to give me the extra sense of air around cymbals.

My speakers might also be continuing to break in and have relatively low hours on them but all in all I am really liking this combination!

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
« Reply #32 on: 5 Aug 2019, 04:57 pm »
I've not heard one in my room, but vintage Class A Krell is interesting.  Anyone familiar?

moremoremore

« Reply #33 on: 25 Aug 2019, 02:03 pm »
I'm interested in going a different direction and building a Hiraga 8W Class A solid state amp.  Anybody have experience with that beast?  I have Super Alnico HO Monitors with the R compound.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #34 on: 25 Aug 2019, 03:11 pm »
I have listened to them with many types of SS amplification and have found the Digital Amplifier Company (DAC) Stereo Maraschino (STM) to be the best.

That is the only SS amp that allowed me made me :D walk away from tubes once and for all.  :D :D

krisgel

« Reply #35 on: 29 Aug 2019, 10:33 am »
I agree with the previous poster: If you must use SS First Watt.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #36 on: 29 Aug 2019, 01:40 pm »
I agree with the previous poster: If you must use SS First Watt.
+1. J2 or SIT-3 but they are not cheap.
An affordable great value amp is the Odyssey Cyclops under $1 grand.

charmerci

« Reply #37 on: 29 Aug 2019, 03:39 pm »
You also have the AVA SET 120 at 60W/channel for under 1K. It runs at class A at "normal" levels.

jMelvin

« Reply #38 on: 11 Sep 2019, 02:02 pm »
An affordable great value amp is the Odyssey Cyclops under $1 grand.

+1 .. nice amp, ever so slightly on the warm side of neutral. My Cyclops is in storage right now but the next time I feel the urge to swap some gear in/out I thought I'd try it with my Super 3i's. I suspect it will mate well but honestly, I'm not sure. Thoughts?

RDavidson

« Reply #39 on: 11 Sep 2019, 02:41 pm »
Give it a try. In my experience, many class A/B amps just don't strut their stuff when only outputting a couple of watts (or even fractions of a watt), which is all Omegas need to easily come alive. It really boils down to the behavior of any particular amp when the output is so low. That's a big reason class A amps are pretty much universally recommended for high efficiency speakers. They're always "on song." I've also found that class D amps can work a treat at low output too. Their sonic character doesn't seem to vary a lot whether outputting 1 watt or 200 watts.