Super Mini's up and playing over here.

Saturn94

Re: Super Mini's up and playing over here. New videos on page 2.
« Reply #100 on: 10 Jul 2019, 03:29 am »
:D  can you just cut and build this a one piece with the smaller drivers non servo bottoms ? 
          This seems feasible,, or not ??   :D

I like this idea.  :thumb:

Captainhemo

« Reply #101 on: 10 Jul 2019, 07:56 pm »
Danny is correct, 16"  tall and they start  6.25"  wide.... there is  a  roundover on  each   vertical edge so the  actual face ends up being  about   5.25 , just  wide enough for the  waveguide  of the Neo10.

They are indeed wider  at the rear,  the wings  extend rearwards at a 10 degree angle. 
The rear of the lower section  ends up  at approx  11" and sitting  atop of a  1"  base, the lower section  will be  27.5"  tall.

jay

Saturn94

« Reply #102 on: 10 Jul 2019, 08:07 pm »
Danny is correct, 16"  tall and they start  6.25"  wide.... there is  a  roundover on  each   vertical edge so the  actual face ends up being  about   5.25 , just  wide enough for the  waveguide  of the Neo10.

They are indeed wider  at the rear,  the wings  extend rearwards at a 10 degree angle. 
The rear of the lower section  ends up  at approx  11" and sitting  atop of a  1"  base, the lower section  will be  27.5"  tall.

jay

Thanks. :)

So we have
43.5 H
6.25 W at front
11 W at back

How about depth?

Thanks again. :)

Captainhemo

« Reply #103 on: 11 Jul 2019, 01:45 am »
Roughly 16"    plus   a base.... I think I have the   base modeled up with a  1.5"  over hang  front/rar  edge

jay

Saturn94

« Reply #104 on: 11 Jul 2019, 02:42 am »
Roughly 16"    plus   a base.... I think I have the   base modeled up with a  1.5"  over hang  front/rar  edge

jay

Thanks.  :D

sarora9

« Reply #105 on: 15 Jul 2019, 02:13 am »
I was wondering if it is possible to use a thin metal frame and grill cloth to cover  the sides of the Super Mini? Worried about the WAF...

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #106 on: 15 Jul 2019, 02:33 am »
As an alternative, just wrap the OB planar top in a open weave grill cloth.  Adding any frame will affect the radiation pattern.

Saturn94

« Reply #107 on: 15 Jul 2019, 02:40 am »
I was telling a friend about the Super Mini and he had a good question.

How does the asymmetrical wing design affect of axis (45°) response on both sides?  It seems the response on each side would be different?  Any off axis graphs we can see?

PS - Have an audition schedule with HAL.  I’m looking forward to it.  :thumb:

Early B.

« Reply #108 on: 15 Jul 2019, 02:42 am »
I was wondering if it is possible to use a thin metal frame and grill cloth to cover  the sides of the Super Mini? Worried about the WAF...

Don't be concerned about the WAF. I have OB monitors with asymmetrical wings and as long as the baffle color blends well with the exisitng decor, the WAF factor is high.

Danny Richie

« Reply #109 on: 15 Jul 2019, 03:18 am »
I was telling a friend about the Super Mini and he had a good question.

How does the asymmetrical wing design affect of axis (45°) response on both sides?  It seems the response on each side would be different?  Any off axis graphs we can see?

The off axis response is really good in both directions, and very much the same. I'll post some graphs of them Monday when I get back to the office.

Saturn94

« Reply #110 on: 15 Jul 2019, 03:44 am »

I was wondering the same thing.

I don’t care for the exposed driver look.

Would the effect of a thin wire frame be audible?

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #111 on: 15 Jul 2019, 03:52 am »
You can’t actually see the back of the speakers unless you walk up beside them. I lost count of how many people didn’t realize they were listening to open baffle speakers until I told them.Then they would get up and walk around the speakers to see for themselves.

Mike

Saturn94

« Reply #112 on: 15 Jul 2019, 03:59 am »
You can’t actually see the back of the speakers unless you walk up beside them. I lost count of how many people didn’t realize they were listening to open baffle speakers until I told them.Then they would get up and walk around the speakers to see for themselves.

Mike

Isn’t it pretty apparent from the short wing side?

I’ll get to see for myself next month.

aceinc

« Reply #113 on: 15 Jul 2019, 04:02 am »
I have a potentially heretical question. If it has been asked/answered elsewhere point me to it.

What would the impact of putting a top on this design be? How would it change the sound?

My thought was a top with a 1-2" dowel holding up the corner without the wing. If this has a negligible or non-negative impact on the sound, it would allow for grill cloth (perhaps a sock) to be stretched around the empty space for people who find symmetry aesthetically pleasing.

If it hasn't been tried, perhaps cut apiece of MDF the right shape, a dowel the right length and using weight or clamps run some measurements and listening tests.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #114 on: 15 Jul 2019, 04:37 am »
Isn’t it pretty apparent from the short wing side?

I’ll get to see for myself next month.

You would think so but the short wing is on the outside which is closer to the wall. This greatly limits the ability to see the open back from the front of the speakers.

sarora9

« Reply #115 on: 15 Jul 2019, 04:41 am »

Mike

Unfortunately my speakers are in a complicated open plan living/dining/cooking space, and the rear is quite visible from various angles in this space. (The space is acoustically live but because of several irregularities, no major issues otherwise.)

Saturn94

« Reply #116 on: 15 Jul 2019, 04:44 am »
You would think so but the short wing is on the outside which is closer to the wall. This greatly limits the ability to see the open back from the front of the speakers.

Ah, I see.

In my room the speaker sides are very visible (especially the right speaker).

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #117 on: 15 Jul 2019, 04:20 pm »
Why not just build a custom grill and attach it to the existing frame using magnets?

Saturn94

« Reply #118 on: 15 Jul 2019, 11:11 pm »
The off axis response is really good in both directions, and very much the same. I'll post some graphs of them Monday when I get back to the office.

Danny Richie

« Reply #119 on: 15 Jul 2019, 11:55 pm »

I guess I had actually posted these once before. I already had them on our server.

0, 10, 20, 30, and 40 degrees off axis to the inside.

And the same measurements taken going to the outside.

Looks great both ways.