How to remove crap Apps in W10

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
How to remove crap Apps in W10
« on: 27 Dec 2017, 08:57 pm »
Open Windows Power Shell as admin and type:
PS C:\Users\-> Get-AppxPackage *windowsphone* | Remove-AppxPackage

PS C:\Users\-> Get-AppxPackage *bingsports* | Remove-AppxPackage

PS C:\Users\-> Get-AppxPackage *soundrecorder* | Remove-AppxPackage

PS C:\Users\-> Get-AppxPackage *xboxapp* | Remove-AppxPackage

PS C:\Users\-> Get-AppxPackage *windowsstore* | Remove-AppxPackage

PS C:\Users\-> Get-AppxPackage *bingfinance* | Remove-AppxPackage

PS C:\Users\-> Get-AppxPackage *connect* | Remove-AppxPackage

PS C:\Users\-> Get-AppxPackage *mail* | Remove-AppxPackage

PS C:\Users\-> Get-AppxPackage *messaging* | Remove-AppxPackage

PS C:\Users\-> Get-AppxPackage *mixedrealityportal* | Remove-AppxPackage

PS C:\Users\-> Get-AppxPackage *mixedrealityviewer* | Remove-AppxPackage
« Last Edit: 28 Dec 2017, 10:32 pm by FullRangeMan »

dB Cooper

Re: How to remove crap Apps in W10
« Reply #1 on: 27 Dec 2017, 09:56 pm »
WTF is 'mixed reality portal'?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 27 Dec 2017, 10:22 pm »
I have started this app once, I dont know what this software do, looks one more app aimed at teenagers.

rockadanny

« Reply #3 on: 28 Dec 2017, 04:56 pm »
Thanks for posting FRM!  :thumb:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 28 Dec 2017, 06:15 pm »
Unfortunatelly this dont work for some apps:
Alarms & Clock
Connect
Groove Music
Mixed Reality Portal
Mixed Reality Viewer
Paint 3D

I failed to remove:
Connect
Mixed Reality Portal
Mixed Reality Viewer

At least in my W10 Creators 1709. MS apparently made impossible remove certain apps, edit the start menu also dont worked as these apps arent in the start menu folders.
Any tip?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 28 Dec 2017, 07:16 pm »
Just removed MixedRealityPortal following this tutotial:
https://www.askvg.com/tip-how-to-uninstall-mixed-reality-portal-in-windows-10/

This new command format may work:
Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.XboxApp | Remove-AppxPackage

See the app name: Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers
« Last Edit: 28 Dec 2017, 10:42 pm by FullRangeMan »

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 28 Dec 2017, 11:42 pm »
Any reason for me not remove these Apps?
Or even any danger to W10 safe operation?
Microsoft People
Windows People Experience Host
Microsoft Connect
Microsoft One Connect
Microsoft Office OneNote
Microsoft Advertising
Microsoft Windows Maps
Microsoft Windows Store
Microsoft Get Help
Microsoft Mail
Microsoft Store
Microsoft Windows Cloud Experience Host
« Last Edit: 29 Dec 2017, 03:40 am by FullRangeMan »

GentleBender

ASCTLC

« Reply #8 on: 31 Dec 2017, 02:17 pm »
Excellent post FRM!  Thanks for posting this. 

Andy

WGH

« Reply #9 on: 31 Dec 2017, 06:25 pm »

Andy

Be sure to read Part 2 of FRM's deletion journey:
How Reinstall Full W10 Apps Package
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=154678.msg1654127#msg1654127

As srb writes "The whole idea of uninstalling W10 apps was a solution looking for a problem that didn't exist."

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 31 Dec 2017, 06:47 pm »

Andy
Thanks Andy you most kind.
The idea on delete apps is keep HD clean and avoid superfluous processing and memory use that slower my PC.

The Microsoft Connect may be need, its about infrared or bluethoot useful in digital cameras to transfer files, also some app are part of W10 system as Cortana and Edge browser.

WGH

« Reply #11 on: 31 Dec 2017, 09:14 pm »

The idea on delete apps is keep HD clean and avoid superfluous processing and memory use that slower my PC.

What is keep HD clean? Is that like what I did to my kitchen drain this morning? Back in the 90's with big platters and rotation speeds of 5400 rpm, a hard drive with less stuff and defragmented regularly was marginally faster. The Solid State Drive (SSD) commonly used should never be defragmented and data access is almost instantaneous no matter how many extra programs are installed. An installed program does not mean it is always running, it is like a power tool stored in a drawer, until you open the drawer and plug it in it does nothing. And modern hard drives are so big they have infinite drawers.

As for superfluous processing, I have W10 Creators 1709 and all the crap apps installed and have yet to see a slow down. I checked the task manager (Control-Alt-Delete) while replying and took a screen shot, you can't get less than 0% CPU usage. Memory is there to be used, as long as I let Windows manage the memory I never get the "Low Memory" warning.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 31 Dec 2017, 10:42 pm »

What is keep HD clean? I like to keep unsuited software away, having a slow 1Mb access link Firefox run slow sometimes due OS related software traffic or frequent downloads. 

In this image the CPU per cent value is a dynamic value, it show 0% now but can reach peaks and after task completed return to low values. Here it change two times per second. Your memory show a 65% use.

WGH

« Reply #13 on: 1 Jan 2018, 12:19 am »
What is keep HD clean? I like to keep unsuited software away, having a slow 1Mb access link Firefox run slow sometimes due OS related software traffic or frequent downloads. 

In this image the CPU per cent value is a dynamic value, it show 0% now but can reach peaks and after task completed return to low values. Here it change two times per second. Your memory show a 65% use.

Like I previously said: memory is there to be used, if it was at 5% or 10% I would know something is wrong. I have a lot of apps loaded in the background (65% worth) and could show you the memory list (firefox uses the most) but it doesn't matter, none of the crap apps are listed. As Shakespeare would say it's much ado about nothing.

You are absolutely right, the CPU can hit 4% while typing. Ripping a music CD and converting to flac files at the same time can max out all 4 cores, now that's fun to watch.

Now I wouldn't be surprised if someone came along and proved me completely wrong with benchmark tests with and without crap apps but my general feeling is that W10 Creators 1709 has been optimized even more and is slightly faster than before even with the bonus software. It's too soon to know if those bonus apps periodically wake up to phone home. Microsoft One Drive is always connected which is a good thing as it is part of my backup plan. I know Comodo downloads new software in the background and NOD32 updates it's database daily. Apple products like iTunes contact the mothership too. A separate firewall like the free Comodo will allow you to monitor your connections and block programs so you can maximize your 1 Mb speed. The Firefox plugin AdBlock would dramatically increase your browsing speed, I have seen up to 27 ads on a single page blocked - pages now load without waiting.

WGH

« Reply #14 on: 1 Jan 2018, 01:12 am »
...having a slow 1Mb access link Firefox run slow sometimes due OS related software traffic or frequent downloads. 

A new feature in the Fall Creators Update allows you to control how much bandwidth is allowed for OS downloads and updates.
https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/132935/fall-creators-update-feature-focus-delivery-optimization

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #15 on: 1 Jan 2018, 02:01 am »
Thanks I will check it.

ctviggen

« Reply #16 on: 1 Jan 2018, 12:10 pm »
The Firefox plugin AdBlock would dramatically increase your browsing speed, I have seen up to 27 ads on a single page blocked - pages now load without waiting.

Only problem with AdBlock is that many websites look for it now.  If you have it enabled, you can't go to a bunch of websites. 

Doublej

« Reply #17 on: 1 Jan 2018, 01:43 pm »
Only problem with AdBlock is that many websites look for it now.  If you have it enabled, you can't go to a bunch of websites.

You can add blocked sites of interest to an AdBlock whitelist or temporarily disable AdBlock to see a site. If you display the AdBlock stop sign on your menu bar it's easy to turn it on and off.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #18 on: 1 Jan 2018, 05:31 pm »
You can add blocked sites of interest to an AdBlock whitelist or temporarily disable AdBlock to see a site. If you display the AdBlock stop sign on your menu bar it's easy to turn it on and off.
I had removed AdBlock due probs w/the sites JPC and Chocomaru to listen samples in a pop-up window, the whitelist dont worked in my Firefox.