Your dream 2 channel desktop system?

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
Your dream 2 channel desktop system?
« on: 9 Aug 2007, 12:40 am »
Don't you wish to have a small desktop system (may be in your office) that can produce similar sonic quality as your top of the line Nuforce system?
How about a 15WX2 integrated amp that can connect to your PC (USB) or iPod (3.5mm jack) ?
What if we match it with a small pair of S-1 speaker (3" driver) ?
What if we price the whole set at <$400 ?
What else do you want for the best sounding desktop set?

Toka

Re: Your dream 2 channel desktop system?
« Reply #1 on: 9 Aug 2007, 12:55 am »
A fantastic idea! For me, any desktop/office system simply must have headphone capability (1/4"). Other than that, USB is a huge benefit for this application...maybe one single standard RCA input just in case. For those wanting a simple, quality interface to record vinyl records on their PC, having something like this that would allow for analog in and either analog or digital out would be perfect...just add the TT and phono stage you already have and you are good to go.  8)

I really like this idea...can't wait to see what you come up with!

timothyharnett

« Reply #2 on: 9 Aug 2007, 09:28 pm »
I would potentially be interested.  Presumably you mean a proper 15W and not the T Amp 15W which is actually closer to 6 useable watts.

Also, if that comes in at less than £200 Sterling.  Much above that and it probably wouldn't be of interest to me.

Something like this but Nuforce flavoured;

http://www.russandrews.com/lookup/1/region/UK/currency/GBP/customer_id/PAA0973088707167UPLIXJFJIUCDVCDU/product-RAVE-1-USB-amplifier-4604.htm

Ideally with a switch mode power supply so that I can take it on holiday.

USB is important but I wouldn't want the matching speakers.

TONEPUB

« Reply #3 on: 9 Aug 2007, 09:34 pm »
Jason:

That sounds really exciting.  Not only from a desktop system standpoint, but
from a portable standpoint.

I get people always asking me for suggestions for a good portable system
that they can take on vacation with them.

If you ever feel like sending us something for review, just let me know!

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #4 on: 10 Aug 2007, 04:17 am »
I think our 1st system will be much smaller than RAVE (not intend to be used for many sources). USB, 3.5mm stereo jack input.  For power supply, DC input with small external AC/DC converter.  Battery case can be purchased as an option for mobile use.
Since the amp will be using a Nuforce licensed 15W IC, it will sound pretty good (we think better than any class D IC based amps).  And we'll like to aim for a target MSRP price of US$150.

For the speaker, we're collaborating with SP Tech on a tiny speaker with wave guide to bring high end sound to the desktop market for around US$200.

We don't claim to know mass market product so your (and your girlfriend or wife) input will be very helpful.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #5 on: 10 Aug 2007, 09:46 am »
Shape factors:

Separate speakers (on either side of my monitor)

Main/base unit to sit vertically (like a book, take up less room on the desk top)

It could be operated through the computer, and if a CD/DVD player isn't needed, be so small as to be tucked away.

Put the cabinetry money into the speakers, not the main/base unit.

It should be a plug n play design

It should accommodate a (future) powered sub in case your desktop is in a separate office or home.

Toka

« Reply #6 on: 14 Aug 2007, 11:51 pm »
I'll second the ability to place it vertically (maybe an optional stand/mount?), as well as the ability to integrate a sub at some point...both excellent options as far as flexibility is concerned!

timothyharnett

« Reply #7 on: 21 Aug 2007, 08:44 pm »
I think our 1st system will be much smaller than RAVE (not intend to be used for many sources). USB, 3.5mm stereo jack input.  For power supply, DC input with small external AC/DC converter.  Battery case can be purchased as an option for mobile use.
Since the amp will be using a Nuforce licensed 15W IC, it will sound pretty good (we think better than any class D IC based amps).  And we'll like to aim for a target MSRP price of US$150.

For the speaker, we're collaborating with SP Tech on a tiny speaker with wave guide to bring high end sound to the desktop market for around US$200.

We don't claim to know mass market product so your (and your girlfriend or wife) input will be very helpful.

I'd certainly buy that amp now if it were available to me at that price plus reasonable postage to the UK. Particularly if it had connectors that took banana plugs rather than spring clips.  The 3.5mm socket and usb are enough for me.  I may even want a pair of them if you actually produce them.

The speakers wouldn't be of interest to me.

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #8 on: 21 Aug 2007, 11:24 pm »
This is a REAL project. We already evaluated the tiny amp board few weeks ago and now making samples with DAC and USB logic on board.  I think it will be sometime in November (at the earliest) before we can ship it.

IronLion

« Reply #9 on: 22 Aug 2007, 01:34 am »
I have been looking for something like this for my girlfriend for some time now; considered the Audioengine gear, but am waiting for them to release their tiny A2's at she doesn't want large speakers.  Glad to know that companies like NuForce are looking at getting some quality sound into the mainstream for an affordable price, I'll certainly keep it in mind when you guys finally do release this. 

raov1

« Reply #10 on: 22 Aug 2007, 04:48 am »
I have been asked the exact same question. It would be a very appealing solution to quite a few people I know and also a window for someone into the hobby  aa
How long before the launch?

Doublej

« Reply #11 on: 24 Aug 2007, 01:04 am »
If you want to build a mass market product it needs to be feature rich; subwoofer output, lights, dsiplay, ipod dock, lots of inputs. In this case bundling it with speakers might be a desirable.

If you want to make an entry level audiophile component that's a different story. Then it's sound quality, tweakability, product feel. I still think you need more than a USB and one mini jack input but one could argue with a mini jack input it's easy to disconnect one device and connect another one. Perhaps a headphone jack and/or a detachable power cord. No speaker bundle is desired as audiophiles like to choose their own speakers.

If you want to see great products in the mini chassis format take a look at the Teac Reference Series. They have this segment nailed.

« Last Edit: 24 Aug 2007, 01:18 am by Doublej »

EricR

« Reply #12 on: 25 Aug 2007, 12:36 am »
I would love to see the iPod Hi-Fi done right. Same size chasis, super minimal design and clean appearance, with a USB input in place of an iPod dock. I personally love a toslink input for  use with Apple airport express. Apple got the WAF right but they botched the sound. I know I'd buy two in a flash. So would most of my friends. Being able to do a high fidelity multi room system with iTunes/Airfoil, with flexibility and no in wall wiring is the way it's going, at least in my circle of peers.

timothyharnett

« Reply #13 on: 22 Sep 2007, 05:32 pm »
How's this project going?

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #14 on: 25 Sep 2007, 07:53 am »
We have nailed down the industrial design and showed to all our distributors and dealers. I am expecting to get the 1st sample board in 3 weeks time. To get everything together, it will take until end of the year if we're lucky. There are all sorts of mechanical and production stuff to deal with. We expect to make thousands and thousands of these so every details have to be thought through for the supply chain and production ramp up.  Making high volume stuff at low cost is more challenging.

I don't want to post the design in public yet, but it is pretty cool. It is clean and elegant.  There are too many outrageous and funky looking desktop set out there and we don't want to go there.

Toka

« Reply #15 on: 25 Sep 2007, 02:18 pm »
Excellent news!  8) Can't wait to see what you have come up with. Any chance you can give us a few hints as to the features that will be included?

anibal1966

« Reply #16 on: 26 Sep 2007, 08:53 am »
In the last weeks I have been looking something similar for a friend, an opera lover.

He just gave away his old stereo system. He found it bulky, ugly and over featured. He lives in a tiny appartment and just wanted to replace it with computer speakers connected to his dvd player or iPod.

Strikingly, there are dozens of ugly, cheapie ipod docks or pc speakers, but little resembling hi-fi. After a first research, I have just found this 190$ Behringer nearfield monitor  http://www.behringer.com/MS40/index.cfm?lang=ENG. (Audioengine has not wide distribution yet here)
On paper, a remote and better looks would make it perfect.

IMHO there is a rather empty market niche for unobtrusive, stealth hi-fi.  Active speakers are the shortest way to go.

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #17 on: 27 Sep 2007, 05:14 am »
Features:
2 or 3 analog inputs, USB in, optical out, DAC.
Power = 12W
A crossover circuit that will be bypassed if the mini-amp is NOT connected (through a special cable) to S-1 speaker.
Due to the use of waveguide and 3" driver, we think the sound will be loud enough for a small room or desk top/bedside listening.

EarlB

« Reply #18 on: 22 Dec 2007, 05:11 am »
Jason,
Are there any new developments on this project ?

Thanks,
Earl

ooheadsoo

« Reply #19 on: 22 Dec 2007, 07:40 am »
Wow, with sptech speakers?  I'm sold. 

Would be nice if there was a digital pass through for your main stereo for those of us without squeezeboxes.