Linked Events

• AK Fest 09: 2 May 2009 - 3 May 2009

AK Fest 09

MaxCast

AK Fest 09
« on: 14 Jul 2008, 04:50 pm »
Just booked a room.  May 2&3 2009.
I'll link the home page when one becomes available.

MaxCast

Re: AK Fest 09
« Reply #1 on: 16 Feb 2009, 08:10 pm »

pardales

« Reply #2 on: 16 Feb 2009, 08:23 pm »
I'll be there...... :thumb:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 18 Feb 2009, 12:40 pm »
Thanks for the heads up and keep us posted.  I attended last year, but missed out on the afterglow at Big Red's.

Steve

AKFest
« Reply #4 on: 16 Mar 2009, 08:44 pm »
Hi, Gents,

I was wondering who has attended the AKfest in the past, how it was, and how many are planning on attending the AKfest, May 2-3rd, this year?

Thanks.
Steve

MaxCast

Re: AKFest
« Reply #5 on: 16 Mar 2009, 10:17 pm »
I am going and I've gone the last 3 years.  It gets a bit bigger each year.  Have you checked out the web site?  There are mostly mfg rooms and a few members rooms.
Sorry to be brief, but I have to get the kids to swim lessons.

Steve

« Reply #6 on: 16 Mar 2009, 10:44 pm »
I am going and I've gone the last 3 years.  It gets a bit bigger each year.  Have you checked out the web site?  There are mostly mfg rooms and a few members rooms.
Sorry to be brief, but I have to get the kids to swim lessons.

Hi Maxcast,

Yes, I may be exhibiting in room 554, will decide for sure tomorrow. Some 50+ exhibit rooms with some big names that will be there. Good to see the east/midwest have a fest.

Thanks.
Steve

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #7 on: 16 Mar 2009, 10:54 pm »
We're considering going. 

Where are you finding the list of 50+ rooms?  I'm counting about 29 on the exhibitor page unless that's not up to date.

Bryan

Steve

« Reply #8 on: 17 Mar 2009, 02:32 am »
We're considering going. 

Where are you finding the list of 50+ rooms?  I'm counting about 29 on the exhibitor page unless that's not up to date.

Bryan

Hi Bryan,

That is what Dave (Grumpy) told me on the phone. He said he was working on updating it.

Thanks.
Steve

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 17 Mar 2009, 02:33 am »
Gotcha.  Thanks Steve.

Bryan

turkey

« Reply #10 on: 17 Mar 2009, 12:39 pm »
I went a while back and found it to be a fun show. Lots of nice people with real passion for their gear.

It was great to wander around and see what people were into, compare thoughts with new friends, and admire some of the stuff that people had built.

Some of the manufacturers were great to talk to also.

I didn't really find any of the dealer's rooms useful. (Full of over-priced crap that they knew nothing about. But they could quote the reviewers word-for-word. "Harry Pearson wrote in Issue 215B how he bought 5 of these for his proctologist as a Thank You gift.")

(It was for that emergency cranial removal job...)

Ok, maybe it wasn't quite that bad. I think I met one dealer that knew what he was talking about and was quite nice.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #11 on: 18 Mar 2009, 05:21 pm »
Nice layout, a bit crowded on Saturday.  Worthwhile?  Depends on how far you drive in from.

Heads Up:  The rooms are small and bass boomy.  Pick your speakers carefully.  Last year the only "full range" speakers that sounded decent were transmission lines or Hawthrone Audio's open baffles.  On the flip side, a good opportunity for room EQ/treatment (maybe do side by side with/without).

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #12 on: 18 Mar 2009, 06:53 pm »
Boom can definitely be an issue in those rooms - as well as finding a way to set up with any sort of symmetry in front of you at all. 

This is a common problem in most hotel/show type venues. 

Bryan

pardales

« Reply #13 on: 18 Mar 2009, 06:54 pm »
I thought the sound in the Van Alstine/Salk rooms was quite good, as well as the QUAD room. The rooms were not ideal though and many speakers probably suffered for this.

turkey

« Reply #14 on: 19 Mar 2009, 12:10 am »
I thought the sound in the Van Alstine/Salk rooms was quite good, as well as the QUAD room. The rooms were not ideal though and many speakers probably suffered for this.

I felt that the Van Alstine/Salk room had the best sound when I went too.

Rick Craig also had some good stuff, but he was using a tube integrated amp with completely flatulent bass, so his speakers sounded pretty bad. He would have been better off with a BPC receiver.

chadh

« Reply #15 on: 19 Mar 2009, 12:52 am »

I thought both Salk/Van Alstine rooms sounded nice.  And, alas, I didn't get into the room with the top-of-the-line Harbeths.  But the best of the rooms (in my opinion) was the Classic Audio Reproductions room:  a massive pair of horns, using custom compression drivers, driven by a big pair of Atma-Sphere monoblocks and playing vinyl.  They'll be there again this year, and I will definitely be visiting.  I hope others do as well, so we can compare notes afterward.

Chad

turkey

« Reply #16 on: 24 Mar 2009, 05:53 pm »

I thought both Salk/Van Alstine rooms sounded nice.  And, alas, I didn't get into the room with the top-of-the-line Harbeths.  But the best of the rooms (in my opinion) was the Classic Audio Reproductions room:  a massive pair of horns, using custom compression drivers, driven by a big pair of Atma-Sphere monoblocks and playing vinyl.  They'll be there again this year, and I will definitely be visiting.  I hope others do as well, so we can compare notes afterward.

Chad

The problem I had with the systems with horns was that they sounded like systems with horns.

grumpy

• http://www.audiokarma.org
« Reply #17 on: 29 Mar 2009, 12:06 pm »
For all of the latest info on this years show please be sure to check our www.akfest.com. Sign up for our seminars starts very soon and with limited seating will fill up fast. Don't forget to stop by the Parliament room on Saturday evening at 9 PM to check out Michigan's very own Laith Al-Saadi belt out the blues. See you all there.

Grumpy

MaxCast

« Reply #18 on: 27 Apr 2009, 02:44 pm »
5 more days   :hyper:

I'll be arriving Friday evening.  Hope to meet a few more AC'ers.
Be sure to put your AC user name on your name tag.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #19 on: 1 May 2009, 08:47 am »
5 more days   :hyper:

I'll be arriving Friday evening.  Hope to meet a few more AC'ers.
Be sure to put your AC user name on your name tag.
Don't forget your camera Rich....and have a good time ! :beer: