Network for Klipsch RP600M - please check my work

daleda1

Network for Klipsch RP600M - please check my work
« on: 3 Jun 2021, 03:31 pm »
Greetings, I installed the networks and am getting a very timid low output from the tweeter (I did reverse the polarity). Could you guys be so kind to check my work. The woofer seems to be working fine. I followed Danny’s videos but seem to have possible made a wrong connection.

daleda1

Re: Network for Klipsch RP600M - please check my work
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jun 2021, 03:39 pm »
another photo

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 3 Jun 2021, 06:05 pm »
If I'm looking at it correctly, The smaller inductor should be connected to the Tweeter circuit after the Sonicap and before the 2nd resistor, then to ground at the other end. But from what im seeing in your pics, it looks like it's connected to the woofer capacitor, which should connect from the large inductor to ground.

Danny Richie

« Reply #3 on: 3 Jun 2021, 06:56 pm »
If I'm looking at it correctly, The smaller inductor should be connected to the Tweeter circuit after the Sonicap and before the 2nd resistor, then to ground at the other end. But from what im seeing in your pics, it looks like it's connected to the woofer capacitor, which should connect from the large inductor to ground.

No, that is the way it is designed. He has it connected correctly. It still sounds like a polarity issue to me.

Shives

• I like French fries
« Reply #4 on: 3 Jun 2021, 11:57 pm »
I think it looks alright. But, seem folks are getting a bit confused on the tweeter.

I was actually talking and working with someone where the tweeter some how as he says has it’s post reversed. In other words, smaller was positive and larger was neg.

Normally large is positive, and smaller is neg. tho I’ve seen, maybe that’s not standard.. but most part I think it is. With Klipsch I’ve heard this twice now.

I only know how to test the mids and woofers with a 9 volt and watching what way it pops out to determine if polarity is correct. Tweeter having no movement... Any tips!  Other then say REW?

Also what amp are you using? Does it have Room correction or DSP anything? If you do, make sure you re-do this.

If you have Audyssey... try setting it so it will only correct the lows, like 501 and lower.. or not. Make sure BBC is off! And it does not have a house curve so make sure you do one with the editor.

Other wise, all I got for tips. Double check your solder points for cold joints.

Take a few hours off,, walk away.. have some dinner or a drink. Later on go back and check it out. Danny has made a nice post about the full build and we have all added tips and tricks. Maybe read that and look at how those are done.

WGH

« Reply #5 on: 4 Jun 2021, 01:11 am »
I only know how to test the mids and woofers with a 9 volt and watching what way it pops out to determine if polarity is correct. Tweeter having no movement... Any tips!  Other then say REW?

Determining the polarity of a midrange or tweeter used to be very hard but now with smart phones the test is easy.
I have used Polarity Checker for Android and it works great, I changed my dipole surround speakers to bipole and the app easily identified which drivers were out of phase.

iPhones can use Speaker Polarity (Speaker Pop)

Watch the videos, the testing method is the same for the Android and Apple apps:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-W0T1cTjos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7EwxmtTDV4

daleda1

« Reply #6 on: 4 Jun 2021, 06:54 pm »
Success, was a polarity issue, got sorted out, and now listening. Danny’s work is a wonderful upgrade. These are my first Klipsch speakers and only purchased after his wonderful videos which piqued my interest. I drive them them with vintage tube amp and preamp and vinyl as source. 25 watts of tube goodness and they seem a good match. Thanks everyone for your generous support.

Shives

• I like French fries
« Reply #7 on: 4 Jun 2021, 10:29 pm »
Determining the polarity of a midrange or tweeter used to be very hard but now with smart phones the test is easy.
I have used Polarity Checker for Android and it works great, I changed my dipole surround speakers to bipole and the app easily identified which drivers were out of phase.

iPhones can use Speaker Polarity (Speaker Pop)

Watch the videos, the testing method is the same for the Android and Apple apps:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-W0T1cTjos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7EwxmtTDV4

Sweet!! I’ll have to try this!!

And good job!! Good work! About 100 hours and they come to life. You can run and off radio station (white noise?) when your not around, if safe. This will help with adding time. If you choose. Good work!!

On to the next project!

daleda1

« Reply #8 on: 8 Jun 2021, 12:42 am »
One last observation. Since I drive these with a 25 w vintage tube amp, I had to open the amp up and change the leads from the left/right transformers from 8 ohm to 4 ohm. The difference is not subtle. They definitely open up to their optimum performance and Danny’s upgrade really shines.

daleda1

« Reply #9 on: 14 Jun 2021, 06:51 pm »
Final observation on this update. OK Danny, tube connectors, I get it! I did not bother with running a wire to old binding post, why would I? I changed the banana plugs off of my speaker cables to the tube connector male (cables made by my buddy Frank at Signal Cables, stand up guy, and have used him for years). I was not looking for a change in sound, only trying to support the theory of “do as little harm to the signal path as one can” and I support it 100%.

joemamma206

« Reply #10 on: 11 Jul 2021, 08:47 am »
Just finished my kit at 2am. I'm going to wait for the morning to try them out.