Integrated amp recommendations for M3 Turbo S?

OzarkTom

Re: Integrated amp recommendations for M3 Turbo S?
« Reply #80 on: 16 Dec 2017, 03:00 am »
That's not an integrated, is it?

Yes, integrated for $1200, $1700 with 60v PSU. Rex said the 48v STM beat the LIO, but he bought the 36v PSU and liked it even better. 36v will give enough power for the Spatials. Rex likes his STM over his 48v Cherry Monos with his Tortega LDR-3 passive with remote control. That is saying a lot.

JackD

« Reply #81 on: 16 Dec 2017, 04:04 am »
Well the website says it is an amplifier that can be feed by a preamplifier or a DAC so not a fully functional integrated amp.  Would work maybe with a DAC with full volume control as only source.

rebbi

« Reply #82 on: 16 Dec 2017, 01:46 pm »
Well the website says it is an amplifier that can be feed by a preamplifier or a DAC so not a fully functional integrated amp.  Would work maybe with a DAC with full volume control as only source.

I was also trying to figure out whether that was a full integrated or just a power amp with a volume pot, and it seems, as mentioned above, to need some kind of preamp or DAC to feed it. I was actually thinking that the top-of-the-line Schiit (the Freya, IIRC)  might be a great match, although the synergy factor is always a gamble. Interesting idea, though.  But I do have an analog front-end as well as a DAC, so I would need a preamp, for sure.

rebbi

« Reply #83 on: 16 Dec 2017, 01:50 pm »
Hey, let me just jump in here and add that I am very much enjoying this thread and appreciate the willingness of all of you to participate and share your knowledge and experiences. It’s my hope that, down the line, this thread will also serve as a reference to people making similar decisions about amplification. Thanks again! :D

Wind Chaser

« Reply #84 on: 16 Dec 2017, 04:36 pm »
It’s my hope that, down the line, this thread will also serve as a reference to people making similar decisions about amplification. Thanks again! :D

In that case we’d be talking about power and and preamps too. I know you have your doubts about Class D, but like yourself I found my favourite SET amp to be woefully inadequate for the task of driving the same speakers. All I can say is if you heard my system, you’d buy the same amps I have in flash. It simply doesn’t get any better. My Class D Amps manifest all the virtues my SET did (with some very special tube upgrades) and a whole lot more. And I’m not kidding when I say a whole lot more.

morganc

« Reply #85 on: 16 Dec 2017, 06:03 pm »
In that case we’d be talking about power and and preamps too. I know you have your doubts about Class D, but like yourself I found my favourite SET amp to be woefully inadequate for the task of driving the same speakers. All I can say is if you heard my system, you’d buy the same amps I have in flash. It simply doesn’t get any better. My Class D Amps manifest all the virtues my SET did (with some very special tube upgrades) and a whole lot more. And I’m not kidding when I say a whole lot more.

Care to share the exact details of your system?  After reading this thread, I feel like you and I have similar tastes.....

morganc

« Reply #86 on: 16 Dec 2017, 06:05 pm »
Yes, integrated for $1200, $1700 with 60v PSU. Rex said the 48v STM beat the LIO, but he bought the 36v PSU and liked it even better. 36v will give enough power for the Spatials. Rex likes his STM over his 48v Cherry Monos with his Tortega LDR-3 passive with remote control. That is saying a lot.

Hi Tom,
    Are you referring above to the STM vs the In Line Mono's from Cherry?  The STM's are superior to the ILM's on the Spatials?

rebbi

« Reply #87 on: 16 Dec 2017, 10:31 pm »
In that case we’d be talking about power and and preamps too.

Well, to a certain extent we’ve already wandered into that territory,. I was just looking at an integrated solution because simplicity appeals to me these days. But I’m happy to hear peoples thoughts on power amps and preamps, too.   :thumb:

OzarkTom

« Reply #88 on: 17 Dec 2017, 03:07 am »
Hi Tom,
    Are you referring above to the STM vs the In Line Mono's from Cherry?  The STM's are superior to the ILM's on the Spatials?

Rex also owns the Cherry monos with 48v PS, not the In Lines. I own the Cherry monos with 36v PS and 48v PS. 36v sounds the best.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #89 on: 17 Dec 2017, 05:17 am »
Specifically in what respect do you find the 36V better than the 48V PS and by what margin?  Of course to rightly understand this, it might be useful to know what speakers you are driving in terms of load and sensitivity...

OzarkTom

« Reply #90 on: 17 Dec 2017, 02:44 pm »
36v has more detail, clarity, and holographic imaging by about  25-30%. I often said here on AC about the Ncores, give me a lower PSU or battery, the Nores would no doubt sound a lot better.

I have run these with the same results on Zellaton Emotions, Gallo CL-1's, Audio Nirvana 8" full range, and Spatual M-3's. Rex has run his on Omega Super 3HO Monitors, Decware DNA Horns, and Audio Clarinet 1+1's with the same results.

It is amazing how Tommy O amps sounds so good with so many different speakers. And I was one of Tommy's biggest skeptics here on AC.

OzarkTom

« Reply #91 on: 17 Dec 2017, 02:56 pm »

Rex bought his STM to run his computer desk top system and made the mistake in trying it in his main system. He uses it as an integrated and it has been there ever since, about two years. He uses it with his DAC.

From Tommy O's webdite on the STM.

Measured Performance is expected to be as good or better than the current Maraschino monoblock design used in the Desktop and In-Line Maraschino Amplifiers.

mfsoa

« Reply #92 on: 17 Dec 2017, 03:29 pm »
If you have a single primary source (balanced preferred) and maybe a second source that is of less importance that you can plug into the STM's front input jack, then the STM will do much of what the Maraschinos can do, and acts as an integrated amp due to the volume control and two inputs. My buddy uses one being fed directly from an OPPO 205, powering Von Schweickert VR4JRs. Simple and great sound!

If you already have a volume-controlled source that you are committed to, or need additional switching from a more conventional preamp, go for the Maraschinos of whatever voltage you decide.

-Mike

Wind Chaser

« Reply #93 on: 19 Dec 2017, 04:01 am »
36v has more detail, clarity, and holographic imaging by about  25-30%.

How much were/are they?

2oldcranks

« Reply #94 on: 11 Jan 2018, 05:28 pm »
Hey Rebbi
Ever make a purchase?,I recomended the April music Aura note 2 a ways back,and I can now very truthfully say it is killing it with the M4TMs that I am enjoying.I am guessing that the Krell was too good to pass up?hope you got some sonic bliss :wink:

Wind Chaser

« Reply #95 on: 11 Jan 2018, 11:34 pm »
I spent a few months with this...

https://www.yuan-jing.com/Finished-Boards-Units3/tpa3116-class-d-2-0-stereo-power-amplifier-50w-50w

And believe it or not, it worked surprisingly very well with my M3ts. I know it may seem absurd, but it literally put to shame ...make that - killed a much more expensive tube amp with some very fine tubes.  :o

rebbi

« Reply #96 on: 15 Jan 2018, 03:52 am »
Hey Rebbi
Ever make a purchase?,I recomended the April music Aura note 2 a ways back,and I can now very truthfully say it is killing it with the M4TMs that I am enjoying.I am guessing that the Krell was too good to pass up?hope you got some sonic bliss :wink:

No, not yet. Unfortunately, I've been navigating a serious health issue in my immediate family so audio fun has taken a back seat. But I'm hoping that as things resolve on that front I'll get back to making this decision.

2oldcranks

« Reply #97 on: 15 Jan 2018, 09:11 pm »
No, not yet. Unfortunately, I've been navigating a serious health issue in my immediate family so audio fun has taken a back seat. But I'm hoping that as things resolve on that front I'll get back to making this decision.
Bummer,hope it all comes out well.
Peace & Health to Ya

rebbi

« Reply #98 on: 24 Jan 2018, 02:56 am »
AAAAAAAND.... WE HAVE A WINNER!

[drum roll.....]

Just ordered a NuPrime IDA-16!   :thumb:

Hoping to have it in a week or so and to get a review up on my blog in due course.

Thanks for all the useful advice. Hopefully I'll be as thrilled with it and my M3TS's as much as many of you seem to be.

Cheers!

Samac

« Reply #99 on: 24 Jan 2018, 03:48 am »
That's great, rebbi. :thumb: I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine.  I look forward to your impressions.

Cheers,

Scott