Premiere by Microsorb = Rates 5 Chairs

TheChairGuy

« on: 19 Jan 2006, 01:05 am »
http://www.microcare.com/default.htm?http://www.microcare.com/product/PS-94%20VRP.asp

Great stuff for $19.99...I found largely makes vacuum record cleaning redundant.

A good general purpose cleaner (I use Vinyl-zyme by Buggtussel for bacteria and mold - who's website is now down or they are out of business now  :(  ), after application of the Premier yields vinyl as quiet as my vacuum.  Well, it's maybe a smidge better after vacuuming, but it's not night and day difference anymore after Premier application.

I'm not sure how long it will last as it's so light (much lighter than water) you can't hear anything rattling in the can to know how much you've used.  

I finish it off with an application of Last System 2 Preservative to protect things long term (which also helps yield quieter vinyl) and you've largely achieved what only a hassle-filled experience that Nitty Gritty/VPI/Keith Monks, etc could once do.

Really, 5 chairs from TheChairGuy  :thumb:

Now, don't one of you tell me you read on Vinylasylum or Vinyl Engine that it leaves residue that gums up my stylus...please don't spoil ChairGuy's glee today :wink:

http://www.amusicdirect.com/products/detail.asp?sku=AMCP

TheChairGuy

« Reply #1 on: 19 Jan 2006, 01:57 am »
Let me make that conditional 5 chairs now.

The next album I sparyed with Premier (maybe it's 10th/20 sides), the stuff ran dry from the can.  I don't think I overapplied it, but maybe I did :roll:

It might have been more like 15 albums/30 sides, but still, that seems a bit costly at a $1.00 per album.

I emailed Music Direct to ask if they were having any other problems like this - let's see what they respond with.

Until then, 5 conditional chairs at $1.00 per album.  If that's indeed how much you need, than it'll get 5 chairs for usefulness, but only 3 chairs once cost is factored in  :wink:

randytsuch

« Reply #2 on: 19 Jan 2006, 04:46 am »
Hi
Check out this stuff
http://www.microcare.com/default.htm?http://www.microcare.com/product/PS-94%20VRP.asp

At a Lenco site, there is an article about record cleaning.  It talked about this stuff, and said that the microcare contact cleaner is the same is premier.  

If you compare the properties of contact cleaner C to premier, you will find they are identical.  If fact, at the bottom of the premier page, it even refers to contact cleaner C, like it was copied and they forgot to fix that.

You can find contact cleaner C for around $13 a can, so you save around a third, and it's not as expensive per record.
It is supposed to be good at cleaning mold release from your records.
I did all this research at some point, and then never bought the stuff.  If it saves me from having to vacuum clean records, I may have to try it.

I started using last preservative too.  Good stuff.

Randy

TheChairGuy

« Reply #3 on: 19 Jan 2006, 05:51 am »
Awesome Randy :!:  :!:  :!:

I thought it really weird that among 20 products, only one was for audio folks on that site.  Indeed, when I looked up Contact Cleaner C, and downloaded the pdf spec sheet, EVERYTHING was the SAME as for Premier.  Premier is just marketing schmaltz - another way to gouge us :guns:

I just bought two cans of Microcare Contact Cleaner C (same identical size and everything as Microcare Premier from Music Direct) for $33.35 delivered.

It cost me $24.95 for one can of Premier from Music Direct.

Now that's what I call a great savings. It's still pricey I feel (it seems this stuff is the nearly the same as Nitty Gritty Firstserv...which costs about $22.00 for 6 fluid ounces - gulp).  It cleans that natty mold release...something no amount of vacuum cleaning can do.

At least it's less expensive now - thanks to Randy! You are King Randy of Vinyldom to me now, my friend  :wink: I hate getting humped / ripped off and love to save  :)

randytsuch

« Reply #4 on: 19 Jan 2006, 06:22 am »
Yeah, you gotta love the marketing guy at microcare who figured out they could call it vinyl cleaner, and charge 1/3 more for it. :flame:

Randy

TheChairGuy

« Reply #5 on: 19 Jan 2006, 04:30 pm »
It's still a bit pricey at a bit under-$1.00 per record, but it's a one time and done deal.  The mold release compounds are present in every vinyl release - you have to get rid of it somehow to attain the lowest noise level.  

The synergistic combo of Buggtussel (for bacteria and general purpose cleaning), Premier/Contact Cleaner C (for mold release compunds) and LAST System 2 Preservative (to maintain the groove condition as it wears fast otherwise) is quite remarkable.  There are no 'clicks' left (unless you really gouged your records earlier), leaving only a faint 'hiss' that you only hear in extremely quiet passages.  A vacuum helps a bit more - but it's really not worth the expenditure after using these three products (two of which, Cleaner C and LAST are one time and done).  You are better off putting your money towards a better TT, cartridge, or phono stage.  I never thought I'd say that, so indispensible has been the Nitty Gritty, but it's worth is considerably less to the end result when employing these chemicals first.    

Soooo, I still give it 5 Chairs, but I'd love for it to be $9.95 a can or less - it was $13.90 per can for the Contact Cleaner C on HMC Electronics.

Maybe us audiophiles are paying for the more snappy name of 'Premier' :(  

Ha - not funny...but, at least the stuff works, whatever you call it or pay for it  :)

TheChairGuy

« Reply #6 on: 3 Feb 2006, 04:13 am »
Randy/all,

I got the Contact Cleaner C in (2 bottles) and it's the same stuff, and works equally as well, as Microsorb.  Thanks so much for the $$$ saving tip.

It is the most signifacnt cleaning step I've found...it almost makes using a vacuum device afterwards redundant.  Records, if they've been cared for, are spooky quiet now.

If the record has been abused by some ham fisted owner with a ceramic cartridge that tracks at 3 grams +...ain't nuthin' gonna help that record.  Short of that, this stuff is truly great   :)

TheChairGuy

« Reply #7 on: 24 Feb 2006, 04:04 am »
The Micrsorb Premiere / nee Contact Cleaner C does indeed make using a vacuum almost redundant.

HOWEVER, the vacuum is now needed because the amount of good it releases from the grooves is amazingly plentiful.  My hand cleaner, a combination of carbon fibre brish and TrackMate (like Allsop - same designer) with cleaning fluid is incapable of sopping it all up.  If I play a record after using the Microsorb stuff, than rigorously clean the record manually, my needle gets seriously gummed up with crud.

I have to brush it back-to-front several times to pry off the crud :(

SOOOOO, turns out the vacuum is not redundant, it's nearly imperative.  Just not for the reasons it normally is.

No damn free lunch folks....but what a fabulously, scrupulously clean record and sound I am now enjoying.

Each can is lasting me about 30-35 sides...so it's not cheap at almost $1.00 per record, but it's a once and done forever process.  It's quite excellent value for the enjoyment it brings  :D

Dan Kolton

Re: Premiere by Microsorb = Rates 5 Chairs
« Reply #8 on: 15 Mar 2009, 08:25 pm »
John,

I ordered a can from MusicDirect before reading the whole thread.  Oh Well!  Please tell me where you bought the Microcleaner C.  The website  doesn't seem to indicate a source.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #9 on: 15 Mar 2009, 10:04 pm »
John,

I ordered a can from MusicDirect before reading the whole thread.  Oh Well!  Please tell me where you bought the Microcleaner C.  The website  doesn't seem to indicate a source.

Dan,

I think, but not certain, the manufacturer either discontinued the Microcleaner C or named it something different and I have tracked it down in their line.

This topic is a little old now and I have since moved to LAST Power Cleaner....which is even more expensive at like $40 for 2oz (does about 60 sides...so it's pricey at like $1.00+ an album)...but it really works well so I'm okay with it. It works out to about the smae with with the Premiere stuff :(

No free or inexpensive lunch I guess.  The results with all of these products is impressive tho  :thumb:

John

Dan Kolton

« Reply #10 on: 16 Mar 2009, 12:35 am »
Thanks, John.  Can you suggest a good source for last products.  I used them in the 70s and 80s, but have lost track, and I'm now out of preservative.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #11 on: 16 Mar 2009, 02:31 am »
Dan,

I've bought the Record Preservative from LAST for the past 20 years and experienced good success.  I still have the original Stylast I bought 20 years ago and still have half a bottle left (so it's a the most cost effective LAST product purchase as it increases life of styli up to 10x with regular application).

I normally buy LAST Preservative and Power Cleaner in combination at a savings of 10% buying separately from friendly proprietor Alan Grau of www.audiowaveshifi.com in Trinidad, CA. Normally $73 :o for the two, it's discounted to $66 from Audiowaves.  As well, they have free shipping anything over $60 :thumb:

I get dinged for sales tax as I'm in CA, but the rest of you 250 million in the US pay only US$66.00 :)

I have been doing just fine with the Kleer-Disc stuff I buy from LAT International and it's inexpensive as it is a concentrate.

http://www.latinternational.com/index.php/product/kleer-disk.html

Ciao, John

orthobiz

« Reply #12 on: 7 Jun 2009, 05:54 pm »
John,

Can you tell us exactly how you apply the Premiere/MicroCare product?

Thanks,

Paul

TheChairGuy

« Reply #13 on: 7 Jun 2009, 05:59 pm »
John,

Can you tell us exactly how you apply the Premiere/MicroCare product?

Thanks,

Paul

Paul,

I now use LAST Power Cleaner.  Which is 2x as expensive as the Premiere/MicroCare stuff, but last a little more than 2x as long.  It seems to work as effectively.

When I did use the Premiere (note the date of the start of this topic) - I cannot remember exactly how I used it :|

The combination of LAST Power Cleaner, a cleaning fluid of some kind, the Nitty Gritty machine and application of LAST Record Preservative makes for that last little bit of enjoyment with vinyl.  It ASSURES no digital technology yet invented comes closes to it for enjoyment  :thumb:

It's a bit tedious, but it's a once-in-lifetime procedure I figure (I date all my records that have gone thru the process and I've not had to go back to do it again)

John

orthobiz

« Reply #14 on: 7 Jun 2009, 10:20 pm »
I still have a can of Premier and I usually spread it around with a foam brush. Then follow with a cleaning like L'art du Son. Is that how the LAST product is applied?

Paul

TheChairGuy

« Reply #15 on: 8 Jun 2009, 02:00 am »
I still have a can of Premier and I usually spread it around with a foam brush. Then follow with a cleaning like L'art du Son. Is that how the LAST product is applied?

Paul

The LAST Power Cleaner is in a tiny, little plastic bottle - maybe 2 oz fluid inside (?)

Three drops are applied to the (supplied) velour applicator and the applicator is then rubbed against the top of the bottle a couple times to spread the fluid relatively evenly.

Then take wet applicator for a spin around the record (1 to 2x only).

Viola! - scrupulously clean vinyl (after using a record cleaning machine with fluid as I found both Microsorb and LAST Power Cleaner was very effective at pulling gunk from the grooves....necessitating a final wash)

John

chosenhandle

« Reply #16 on: 10 Jun 2009, 01:13 pm »

Paul

wow, with the way Premier evaporates, I imagine you go through a lot of that stuff! I learned (the hard way) to spray a little on a microfiber cloth and apply as the disk spins. I have to reapply the premier to the cloth a couple of times to get the whole record cleaned.

At $25 per can, that stuff is like liquid gold. I used to get it when the generic version was $13 each, but can no longer justify the stuff.

Sure miss the convenience!

TheChairGuy

« Reply #17 on: 10 Jun 2009, 03:51 pm »
wow, with the way Premier evaporates, I imagine you go through a lot of that stuff! I learned (the hard way) to spray a little on a microfiber cloth and apply as the disk spins. I have to reapply the premier to the cloth a couple of times to get the whole record cleaned.

At $25 per can, that stuff is like liquid gold. I used to get it when the generic version was $13 each, but can no longer justify the stuff.

Try the LAST Power Cleaner....it's some rediculous $40 for the wee bottle, but it probably does 2-3x as many album sides as the Premiere.  It works every bit as well as and costs less per side.

John

orthobiz

« Reply #18 on: 10 Jun 2009, 09:53 pm »
Thx, will check it out!

Paul