A happy camper (with re to 3T's)

OmahawkSCM

A happy camper (with re to 3T's)
« on: 19 Aug 2013, 01:39 am »
A few of you may remember me as the guy who was seeking subwoofer advice with my 3T's and a few of you simply said that I need to be a little more mindful of my upstreams components, very plainly sating that the 3T is a speaker that scales well with upgraded equipment. I originally wanted to spend $650 for a SVS SB12-NSD and you guys were trying to sell me on the TBI millennia. Well, I did not take your advice and get that exact amp. However, I did some homework and ended up with the Yamaha a-s500, which is an integrated amp with a good HP amp that also has a phono input and a sub out. The TBI had none of these AND only had 1 analog input. Also, I got this integrated for a song (just half over MSRP shipped!). Also, since my last post, I bought a used Oppo 970 so that I could play some SACD and DVD-A discs. Also, I have a Schiit Modi on order that should arrive in the next few days and I am now running some 12 awg BJC from the Yamaha to the super 3T's.

You were all pretty spot on WRT the subwoofer. I am very pleased that I was able to get the sound that I sought with the addition on the Yamaha amplifier. I will likely try some nicer analog interconnects to pair with the Schiit. I have the subwoofer out now if I ever feel the need. But, honestly, I may just get a different Omegas. They are awesome speakers!

Here is a crappy iPhone picture of my setup:

I have changed the setup so that the speakers are now at ear level because I lowered my listening position. Also, I pulled the speakers out about 2.5' from the back wall.

Thank you everyone for your advice so far. And, if you have any further tips, send them my way.

Good Times

Re: A happy camper (with re to 3T's)
« Reply #1 on: 19 Aug 2013, 10:48 am »
Looking good mate! One bit of advice that could be worth a try and is free, is to try a lower cabinet for your gear. I have found from experience that if I ensure nothing above driver height is between my speakers, the soundstage and imaging take on a whole new level of refinement. I notice there's a lot of unnecessary height with your existing cabinet, so could be worth a try with something lower if that's feasible.

Loving the finish, I think it's the same as what I got!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 19 Aug 2013, 11:24 am »
Looking good mate! One bit of advice that could be worth a try and is free, is to try a lower cabinet for your gear. I have found from experience that if I ensure nothing above driver height is between my speakers, the soundstage and imaging take on a whole new level of refinement. I notice there's a lot of unnecessary height with your existing cabinet, so could be worth a try with something lower if that's feasible.

Loving the finish, I think it's the same as what I got!

Good tip!  Years ago I had just one system, a 2.1 audio/HT rig with the large CRT in the middle and speakers pushed back (fronts even with the TV).  The speakers are magical at imaging and I played a xylophone cut where the musician went from one end of the instrument to the other.  The recording was miked with one at each end, such that the effect was like the train rolling past you from right to left.  As the image moved "into the TV" the sound became incoherent (lost definition) but re-integrated as it "came out of the TV".  Since then I pull the speakers out well out in front of any cabinet/obstruction for any serious listening.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 19 Aug 2013, 04:28 pm »
OmahawkSCM,

You are not the first to have the successful combo of a Yamaha amp and Omega speakers.  Looks like you have a nice system now. 

OmahawkSCM

« Reply #4 on: 23 Aug 2013, 03:40 am »

I can't reasonably change the equipment rack. I had already planned on wall mounting the monitor. I could then put the integrated amp one shelf lower. The would get the equipment rack to roughly right at the center of the Omega drivers. If you guys think that this will help, I am definitely willing to try it. Thanks for the tip.

Good Times

« Reply #5 on: 23 Aug 2013, 10:11 am »
Yep I reckon you're doing all the right things. I bet they're sounding great now. Do you have some sticky stuff to keep them firm on the stands (eg Blu-tac)?