RM 9MK II audio problem??

dhunte21

RM 9MK II audio problem??
« on: 20 Nov 2011, 05:05 pm »
Good day to all, i've got an issue that has been bugging me for quite sometime. I thought it was just me but I did a A and B. My RM 9MK II seems to doing something weird. When listening to music, I can hear in my speaker tweeters like a scratching or a rattling, almost similar to the sound a blown speaker will make.

So I changed the preamp and the sound was still there but not as pronounced. So I decided to try some other speakers to see if it was a blown driver but it is still doing the same thing. The funny thing is that it seems to be only coming from the tweeters or the high frequency. Does this seem possible or has anyone else seem to have experienced this issue.

Thanks

Scottdazzle

Re: RM 9MK II audio problem??
« Reply #1 on: 20 Nov 2011, 06:05 pm »
It may be time to change the tubes.

dhunte21

« Reply #2 on: 20 Nov 2011, 06:54 pm »
Humm, which tubes are you referring to? I have changed the input tubes, but I have not done anything with the output tubes, would be a shame to purchase new ones to find out that not the problem. I have an 8 6ca7 I can try to see if that solves the problem.

rbwalt

« Reply #3 on: 20 Nov 2011, 09:57 pm »
it could be the driver tube sockets. they have been known to come lose from the board. i had that problem with mine and it mimic's a bad tube. are you the original owner? if so have you done allot of tube rolling? i do not think it is the power tubes. how long or how many hrs do you think you have on them? i had NOS siemen's el34's in mine for 11 yrs without any issues. this is just my 3 cents worth.

R.

dhunte21

« Reply #4 on: 20 Nov 2011, 11:33 pm »
Thank you Gents for your reply, I found the problem not within the amp but more so with the actual music recording. I tried the CD in one of my other systems and I can hear the same noise. But thanks none the less.

Roger A. Modjeski

« Reply #5 on: 2 Dec 2011, 07:31 pm »
Thank you Gents for your reply, I found the problem not within the amp but more so with the actual music recording. I tried the CD in one of my other systems and I can hear the same noise. But thanks none the less.

It's often difficult to locate a problem and we sometimes get stuck on the notion that its in a particular unit later to find we were looking in the wrong place.