Invicta or PS Audio PW DACII with Ncore amps?

Phil

Invicta or PS Audio PW DACII with Ncore amps?
« on: 8 Oct 2012, 12:04 am »
Starting to consider an alternative to my DAC and wonder who uses either of following in their Ncore-based system WITHOUT a preamp (that is, direct connection).  My wife listens to lots of internet radio (so I do too  :D ).  The preferred DAC would need to sound good with internet radio, redbook (most of my music is in FLAC) and high rez. 

http://resonessencelabs.com  Invicta.  Would feed it with a BDP-1 via SPDIF rather than SD card reader since internet radio is needed.

http://www.psaudio.com/products/audio/media-players/perfectwave-dac/  PS Audio PerfectWave  DAC II.  Could add the Bridge and connect directly to ethernet and sell the BDP-1.  Anyone use it that way?

Other suggestions welcome too (price not > $4,000; direct connection to amp; SPDIF input). 
Thanks.

Phil

wilsynet

Re: Invicta or PS Audio PW DACII with Ncore amps?
« Reply #1 on: 8 Oct 2012, 01:49 am »
I have used both the PS Audio PWD MK2 and NAD M51 direct to NC400 monoblocks.

To my ears and in my system, the M51 is better than the PWD in this particular scenario.  Highs are more delicate and there is no loss of resolution with the M51 even at the lowest volume levels.

Phil

« Reply #2 on: 8 Oct 2012, 04:43 am »

To my ears and in my system, the M51 is better than the PWD in this particular scenario.  Highs are more delicate and there is no loss of resolution with the M51 even at the lowest volume levels.
Thanks.  At half the price, that is pretty impressive.

wilsynet

« Reply #3 on: 8 Oct 2012, 05:42 am »
There will certainly be those who prefer the PWD, although I do think the PWD is better off paired with an active line stage or an integrated amp rather than direct to power amp.  The M51, on the other hand will plug directly into the NC400 balanced inputs and not miss a beat.  You might prefer an active line stage anyway, but for many systems, it'll be preference that drives you rather than an objective deficiency.  In this respect, the M51 is stellar.

Comparing the two as DACs only (rather than as DAC preamps) if I had to make an analogy, I'd say the PWD MK2 is like a 300B and the NAD M51 is like an OTL.

Thanksgramps

« Reply #4 on: 9 Oct 2012, 08:32 pm »
the PWD is better off paired with an active line stage or an integrated amp rather than direct to power amp.  The M51, on the other hand will plug directly into the NC400 balanced inputs and not miss a beat.

I didn't have the opportunity to listen to the NAD M51 before I got my PS Audio PWD MKII, but I heard it's really good.  I am interested Wilsynet why you think the M51 is better direct to amp than the PWD.  I'm streaming FLAC (and internet radio) from my home media server (on the other side of the house in the basement) via a CAT6 ethernet cable to my PWD, balanced out to a pair of NC400 mono's bi-wired to a pair of Salk SS8's.  The sound is amazing and has not left me wanting for anything. 

The ability to stream over my network directly to my DAC is huge.  I can sit on my couch with my iPad, queue up a bunch of music, read liner notes, surf the web, all while the DAC just does it's thing with the music server via the Bridge.  No fuss.  No computer sitting in my living room I need to deal with or look at (besides the iPad of course which is just a remote control). 

If I had a pre of high enough quality to put it in line between the PWD and the NCore's, I would give it a try.  From what I've heard from other PWD owners, it's a matter of taste.  Since I'm very happy with the sound, I'm inclined to keep it simple and put more money into new hi-rez music and just sit back and enjoy.

jhm731

« Reply #5 on: 9 Oct 2012, 11:54 pm »
Phil,

I don't think the Invicta, NAD M51 or PS Audio PWD MKII is going to outperform your APLHIFI.

Had a PWD MKII with the Bridge connected to my amp and was happy but wanted to add some tube magic,
like you have with the APLHIFI.

Sold the PWD MKII and got a Aesthetix Pandora with the volume control.

Phil

« Reply #6 on: 10 Oct 2012, 02:26 am »
Phil,

I don't think the Invicta, NAD M51 or PS Audio PWD MKII is going to outperform your APLHIFI.

Had a PWD MKII with the Bridge connected to my amp and was happy but wanted to add some tube magic,
like you have with the APLHIFI.

Sold the PWD MKII and got a Aesthetix Pandora with the volume control.

As far as redbook goes, I'd agree with you.  While I don't have many hirez files, this is one area for improvement with the APLHIFI (assuming that hirez doesn't require its own break-in period; redbook required 500 hours!).   Would love to try the Pandora with volume control but wonder about the investment since digital seems to change every day.  How do you like it?

Phil 

jhm731

« Reply #7 on: 10 Oct 2012, 05:51 am »
As far as redbook goes, I'd agree with you.  While I don't have many hirez files, this is one area for improvement with the APLHIFI (assuming that hirez doesn't require its own break-in period; redbook required 500 hours!).   Would love to try the Pandora with volume control but wonder about the investment since digital seems to change every day.  How do you like it?

Phil

I agree, digital is a rapidly moving stream, but if you're not looking to get into DSD, the Pandora is a great place to camp out and enjoy a wonderful analog like sound.

My digital inputs are a PWT via AES and a networked Auraliti PK90 into the USB.

If you get a chance to hear one make sure it's got at least a 100 hours of burn-in.

Phil

« Reply #8 on: 11 Oct 2012, 01:53 am »
I agree, digital is a rapidly moving stream, but if you're not looking to get into DSD, the Pandora is a great place to camp out and enjoy a wonderful analog like sound.

My digital inputs are a PWT via AES and a networked Auraliti PK90 into the USB.

If you get a chance to hear one make sure it's got at least a 100 hours of burn-in.

Thanks for the recommendation.  Just tweaked my setup so that the Ncore plugs into a majikbuss.  I may not be looking for a new DAC for some time unless the sound degrades over time (long-term interaction among components is always a mystery to me).  Even internet radio sounds spooky real.  I'll keep my eye on the Pandora, however.  Nice to utilize the two inputs in the way you have.  My DAC has only one input so limits the options a bit. 

Happy listening,

Phil

wilsynet

« Reply #9 on: 11 Oct 2012, 02:55 am »
I am interested Wilsynet why you think the M51 is better direct to amp than the PWD.

Direct to NC400s, the PWD is a bit dry, the treble is a bit clunky, and low volume listening using the digital volume control seems less dynamic and resolved.

The M51 has better finesse and dynamic agility and a pleasant ... not sure how to characterize it, I'll say a certain roundness but without loss of resolution even at lower listening levels.

YMMV

EuroDriver

« Reply #10 on: 11 Oct 2012, 09:47 pm »

The M51 has better finesse and dynamic agility and a pleasant ... not sure how to characterize it, I'll say a certain roundness but without loss of resolution even at lower listening levels.

YMMV

Which speakers are you hooking up to the M51 > NCore ?

wilsynet

« Reply #11 on: 13 Oct 2012, 04:31 pm »
Speakers are the Selah Tempesta.  A very neutral, revealing, and a tad laid back speaker.

For what it's worth, I am not saying that the PWD MK2 is not a good DAC.  I'm just saying I don't think it's as good as it could be direct to amp as it is through a very good preamp.

acousticimagery

• Industry Participant
    • ACOUSTICIMAGERY
« Reply #12 on: 18 Dec 2012, 09:57 pm »
Hi guys

Big News from Hypex..........  http://www.hypex.nl/news/49-dlcp-now-limited-available.html   ....expensive :roll: but it is 6 channels

Cheers

John

this_is_vv

« Reply #13 on: 18 Dec 2012, 10:57 pm »
Hi guys

Big News from Hypex..........  http://www.hypex.nl/news/49-dlcp-now-limited-available.html   ....expensive :roll: but it is 6 channels

Cheers

John

so it is an active crossover? and if connected with 6 NC400 what a setup this could be ...though extremly costly i guess...

V

Julf

• Grumpy second cousin of Mark V Shaney
« Reply #14 on: 19 Dec 2012, 09:28 pm »
so it is an active crossover? and if connected with 6 NC400 what a setup this could be ...though extremly costly i guess...

Well, it is sort of what I am doing - except I am using 8 nc400's. Hypex dlcp driving 4 nc400's/channel to actively power a 3-way system, with each isobaric (so 2) woofers being driven by it's own amp. Right now the crossover is a Behringer unit, but will be replaced by the dlcp.