Lets Talk......Baseball !!

zybar

• Facilitator
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: Lets Talk......Baseball !!
« Reply #20 on: 19 Feb 2011, 01:17 pm »

It's impossible to compare players from the Babe's era to modern players.  The Babe also had the "luxury" of never having to face any black or latin players.  They also didn't pitch around him (or couldn't on those Yankee teams because the lineup was stacked) and the science of pitching is not what it is today.  Not to minimize his accomplishments but if you could resurrect the Bambino (time machine?) and watch him pitch against a modern day pitcher, it would not be pretty... :green:

I think the Babe we do just fine today. 

While it is impossible (although fun) to compare players from very different eras, I firmly believe that the best players from a given era could do well in other eras (including today).

George

jackman

« Reply #21 on: 19 Feb 2011, 01:36 pm »

While it is impossible (although fun) to compare players from very different eras, I firmly believe that the best players from a given era could do well in other eras (including today).

George

This would be an interesting topic for a show like Mythbusters or a technical show.  My guess is that players from the 20's would not fare well against modern players.  I guess they could examine films and analyze bat speed and other criteria to determine quantitatively how much the game has changed.  Im a big fan of Ruth and regard him in very high esteem but have doubts as to weather he could hit modern day pitching. 

On the other hand, players of Ruth's era, although they didn't have to deal with the slider or split fingered fastball, had to deal with spitters and pitches that are technically illegal today.  Either way, looking back at the old films and the way they played in the old days, there was a certain beauty to those old floppy mits and skinny bats.  I love baseball and appreciate the contribution of all of the greats who have built this game.  Ruth is certainly at the top of the piramid because of what he accomplished in his era. 

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #22 on: 24 Feb 2011, 04:54 pm »
Wainwright out for the season.

It's got to hurt the Cards.  I wonder how this will play into Albert bidding after the season.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #23 on: 24 Feb 2011, 05:04 pm »

soundbitten1

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #25 on: 24 Feb 2011, 07:03 pm »
Wainwright out for the season.

It's got to hurt the Cards.  I wonder how this will play into Albert bidding after the season.

No idea but it's certainly a blow for the season - especially with Tony thinking he can just bring someone out of the bullpen to be a starter.

Bryan

woodsyi

• Volunteer
« Reply #26 on: 24 Feb 2011, 07:57 pm »
No idea but it's certainly a blow for the season - especially with Tony thinking he can just bring someone out of the bullpen to be a starter.

Bryan

Like everybody stashes a 20 game winner in the 'pen, right?  :shake:

wharfrat

« Reply #27 on: 24 Feb 2011, 08:35 pm »
Love this thread because baseball is the best!

Wainright injury is big loss for Cards.  And while it's unlikely that Tony can pull 20 game winner out of bullpen, he does have one of the best pitching coaches in Dave Duncan. 

twitch54

« Reply #28 on: 26 Feb 2011, 02:53 am »
Ahhhhhhhh ....Grapefruit league starts tomorrow.......Phillies / Yankees

wharfrat

« Reply #29 on: 26 Feb 2011, 12:33 pm »
Ahhhhhhhh ....Grapefruit league starts tomorrow.......Phillies / Yankees

Yep!  Mets vs. Braves, also.  "Let's play two!"

Big news here is Wilpon's financial woes.  Yesterday, media revealed MLB loaned the Mets $25 million, in November,  to meet operating expenses.  How much longer can the Wilpons hold onto their team?

twitch54

« Reply #30 on: 3 Mar 2011, 03:41 pm »
Starting to get a bit nervous about Chase Utley.............his recuring joint issues (knee, hip) suggests that he is on the downward side of his carrer. I had read somewhere that he even had issues in his teens that's why he wasn't drafted as high ??

wharfrat

« Reply #31 on: 3 Mar 2011, 11:36 pm »
Starting to get a bit nervous about Chase Utley.......

Understandable.  With Werth's departure and Jimmy Rollins offensive struggles one might wonder how potent the Phillies batting order will be.  Perhaps they will engineer some type of trade with the Texas Rangers for Michael Young in exchange for Joe Blanton.

cujobob

« Reply #32 on: 4 Mar 2011, 01:30 am »

George

I disagree, things have just changed too much.  Training is entirely different/better, nutrition is better, competition is much higher now and scouting is vastly superior.  I don't mean to diminish great players from the past, it's just the way it always will be.  My favorite player will always be Alan Trammell, a great shortstop during his 20 years in the league but as offense for the shortstop position increases, his statistics look more bland.

I think the Detroit Tigers will have a good season, but Miguel Cabrera will be relied on heavily once again.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
« Reply #33 on: 4 Mar 2011, 02:11 am »

I think the Detroit Tigers will have a good season, but Miguel Cabrera will be relied on heavily once again.

I sure hope he gets on and stays on the wagon, not just for the Tigers but for himself.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
Opening Day is just around the corner: time to prognoticate!
« Reply #34 on: 30 Mar 2011, 04:41 pm »
Jason Stark picks the Red Sox to win.  Who do you pick?

Berto

Re: Opening Day is just around the corner: time to prognoticate!
« Reply #35 on: 30 Mar 2011, 04:48 pm »
Jason Stark picks the Red Sox to win.  Who do you pick?

Maybe they could win, if they can beat the Yanks :lol:

Scottdazzle

« Reply #36 on: 30 Mar 2011, 04:53 pm »
The Phillies will take it all this year.  Last year's series between the Rangers and Giants was a fluke. The worst matchup ever.  But, the short series does favor teams with 3 good starters like the Giants.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
« Reply #37 on: 30 Mar 2011, 04:57 pm »
Many more "expert" picks here

Utley and Lidge:  Ominous beginning for the Phillies.  :violin:

Scottdazzle

« Reply #38 on: 30 Mar 2011, 05:06 pm »
Looks like a lot of experts drank the Red Sox Kool-aid.  I predict they'll fold like a cheap tent in a storm by August.  :lol:

woodsyi

• Volunteer
« Reply #39 on: 30 Mar 2011, 05:14 pm »
It ain't a cheap tent.  It will take more than a thunderstorm to fold it -- maybe a Tsunami in North Atlantic! :o