What up? Where's the Super Bowl thread?

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Re: What up? Where's the Super Bowl thread?
« Reply #100 on: 9 Feb 2010, 09:56 am »
Well, after 43 years I guess you're due one!  I wonder if that means I'll live long enough to see the Vikes win it all? :lol:

Bigfish

« Reply #101 on: 9 Feb 2010, 12:11 pm »
The chess game on Sunday was Manning vs. the Saints defense and coaching staff.  On the back-breaker interception, Tracy Porter had figured out where Manning was going to put the ball, given that particular Colts formation in response to the Saints showing blitz.  Saints defensive coordinator Gregg Williams had figured it out too, and he and Porter exchanged knowing glances shortly before the snap.  Did you notice how it looked like Porter was the intended receiver the way he caught the ball on the run?  That's a sign of the defender expecting the ball to be where it was.  So on that day, the Saints defense won the chess match... and the man they beat is the master of this generation.

The announcers on Sirius NFL were stating the above comment on the air yesterday.  They went further to state this is the problem with a quarterback always calling his own plays as he will become predictable if shown certain coverages.  Both announcers had spoken to Greg Williams and to Porter after the game and they were both expecting the pass from Manning.  It was a great play by Porter and the back breaker for the Colts.

Ken

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #102 on: 9 Feb 2010, 12:35 pm »
It's also the down side to being a machine. Manning must have become too predictable with his quick judgement calls. But it also looked like he was not quite himself at times. I don't remember which quarter it was but I do remember that PM was completely on top of the play clock as usual but completely surprised when the ref blew the whistle to end the quarter.

Also agree with Rob. In his commercials Manning plays a lovable, clueless obsessive unable to comprehend anything outside a football context. In uniform on game day, he seems like a damn the torpedoes field marshall unwilling to forgive or understand, concerned only with his own success. I use the expression "seems like" because I don't know the guy. Maybe he just feels he has a job to do. He sure doesn't look like he's enjoying it.

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #103 on: 9 Feb 2010, 06:10 pm »
I guess dreams do come true, sorta!  :green:

I just got this from my daughter in an email:

"You know, when Peyton Manning was a kid he probably used to go to bed at night and dream about throwing the winning touchdown for the Saints in the Superbowl. And on Sunday he did."

Gene

launche

• ...on being an audiophile...no.
« Reply #104 on: 9 Feb 2010, 08:01 pm »
Poor Manning, the sad part about it all is it was the receivers fault.  Oh well the QB get the glory and the shame.

jackman

« Reply #105 on: 9 Feb 2010, 08:25 pm »
I guess dreams do come true, sorta!  :green:

I just got this from my daughter in an email:

"You know, when Peyton Manning was a kid he probably used to go to bed at night and dream about throwing the winning touchdown for the Saints in the Superbowl. And on Sunday he did."

Gene

That was awesome!  One of those things that makes you think, "I wish I had said that!".

Thanks,

J

Bigfish

« Reply #106 on: 9 Feb 2010, 08:28 pm »
Poor Manning, the sad part about it all is it was the receivers fault.  Oh well the QB get the glory and the shame.

???

No doubt Wayne had a part in the interception but Manning threw the ball.  As previously stated Porter was expecting the pass and jumped it.  After the game Porter said he did not think Wayne could have done anything to prevent the interception.  Peyton is human, he made a mistake that cost his team the game.  I am certain he will lead the Colts to another 12 to 14 win season again next year.  The question that will continue to nag at Manning is can he will a 2nd Championship?

Ken

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #107 on: 9 Feb 2010, 08:37 pm »
That was a 14 point swing play. I've seen the replay numerous times. When they show it from behind Manning, there was nothing behind Wayne. All it would have taken was for a misstep by Porter and it would have been a Colts TD, tie game.

And Manning would have been a hero again. As they say, it's a game of inches.  :thumb:

Gene

jackman

« Reply #108 on: 9 Feb 2010, 08:51 pm »
I'm a Manning fan and don't blame him completely for the loss, but he gets his share of it.  There were a couple dropped balls by Indy receivers and Manning's pick-six but the Indy defense also gets their share of the blame.  Brees had all day to throw the ball and his receivers were wide open. 

Either way, it was a very exciting game and I feel great for the NO fans.  That is a town that knows how to party and I'm sure they are still going strong since Sunday!  I love New Orleans and encourage anyone who hasn't been there to check it out.  The Quarter is a blast and if you like live music, late night partying, great food and historic sites, there is no better place than New Orleans.  Also, if you like high humidity, it's your town!

drphoto

« Reply #109 on: 9 Feb 2010, 08:51 pm »
Man, you guys are a tough crowd.  :D  I think the Colts consistent excellence over the past few years has been pretty amazing. And to come back after losing Dungy and nearly win it all just adds to that.

Manning may feel like crap about the pick, but he has nothing to be ashamed of.

He may be an obsessed, egotistical jerk. Dunno, never met the guy. I do know 2 highly successful commercial photographers in CA, who only shoot big time ad jobs, and they are both obsessed, egotistical jerks. And one of them used to be my assistant and was a good friend at one time.

I stand corrected on the Manning TV spots though, I'd forgotten the 'clueless' one you mentioned. Pretty funny, and poking fun at his own obsession.

regards,

j

Scottdazzle

« Reply #110 on: 9 Feb 2010, 09:00 pm »
KEITH MOON IS ALIVE AND CHANNELED SAYS ROGER DALTREY
Current mood:  cheerful
Keith Moon is alive and channeled, says Roger Daltrey...

I get lots of Keith Moon and Who fans coming up to me to let me know how much they Appreciate and feel they just saw Keith after watching me play… I love every one of you, thank you so much, it just makes me want to play even harder and better and keeping Keith in your face…

But when I found out what Roger Daltrey said while watching me play Keith, that made all the years of me Keeping Keith Alive, like I'm just at my beginning… Thank You to all my fans, and Roger…

I will never let you down.

-"This guy has Keith channeled – I feel Keith living on through him." ROGER DALTREY

http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=106096315&blogId=228372556

Zack Starkey was the best reminder of what the Who were in their prime. It was great to hear Keith Moon's parts recreated so well.

jackman

« Reply #111 on: 9 Feb 2010, 09:08 pm »
Zack Starkey was the best reminder of what the Who were in their prime. It was great to hear Keith Moon's parts recreated so well.

+100000000% 

Moon's style is very unique and Starkey nails it as far as I'm concerned.  This guy is a freak and although he doesn't bust up his kit during or after the shows like Moon, the drumming part is dead on.  Brilliant.

Duke

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.audiokinesis.com
« Reply #112 on: 9 Feb 2010, 09:14 pm »
I didn't see any mistake by either Manning or Wayne.  In my opinion the Colts didn't lose the game... the other team won it.

I read one analysis of the game that said the Saints defense never showed Manning the same thing twice throughout the whole game.  Now I'm not nearly observant enough to say whether or not that's true, but if so it's an indication of the enormous respect the Saints had for what Manning could do to them if they became predictable for even one play. 

Duke
fan of that other team

launche

• ...on being an audiophile...no.
« Reply #113 on: 9 Feb 2010, 09:44 pm »
I felt to need to offer some defense for Manning since he is getting hammered.  Let me be more to the point.

IMO Wayne ran a piss poor, and I do mean piss poor route that allowed Porter to easily jump the play.  Manning was right on target, Wayne hesitated and took about two or three stutter steps before coming out of his break.  Porter read those steps and stepped up in the lane.  That led to the interception, it's a timing play and Manning was right on schedule.  He didn't choke (what a joke of an overused cliche').  For whatever reason Wayne was not decisive.  If you look at Collie running the underneath route, he ran it correctly, no hesitation and with a hard break.  If Manning made any mistake it was not throwing the ball to Collie but I think the play was designed for Wayne.  I imagine Wayne, Manning and the coaching staff know who's fault that really was (the tape doesn't lie). 

It's interesting the things fans come up with.  If you're a competitive you want to win as much as possible, why would Manning be especially nagged by winning a 2nd championship.  Funny how life works.  A piss poor route by Wayne and Manning is remembered in history for the blame.  Now if he's nagged by something then that might be it.

rydenfan

« Reply #114 on: 9 Feb 2010, 09:55 pm »
To the only selfprofessed New Orleans Saint fan that I definitely know of,

Congratulations to Rydenfan, The New Orleans Saints did it!  :thumb:

Thanks guys!! It was an amazing game!! I am still trying to recover (not easy). I was there with 11 of my family members ranging from ages 8 to 82   :thumb:

After a rocky 1st quarter we kicked some ass and out scored the Colts 31-7 over the next 3 quarters. As Drew says every game it is all about Finish Strong The ultimate master of film was out filmed by a 2nd year player   :o
It was truly a team effort though: Drew spreading the ball around, Reggie and Pierre making some tough runs, Hartley killing 3 kicks all over 40 yards, special teams (both the on-sides kick and Roby all over coverage all night), Defense giving up yards but only 2 scores and Porter's huge play, and Sean Payton calling a masterful game. I actually thought we were going to win once they stopped us on the goal line and then went way too conservative with their play calling with 3 consecutive runs and allowing us to drive and kick a field goal before half. But I was still PLENTY nervous up by 7 with the ball in Payton's hand   :wink: The city of New Orleans and the gulf coast region have been through so much that you guys cannot imagine what this win means to them. Spending Saturday in NOLA, game on Sunday, and NOLA yesterday was truly moving.

WHO DAT??
NOBODY!!