Anybody watching the Winter Olympics?

jackman

Re: Anybody watching the Winter Olympics?
« Reply #20 on: 22 Feb 2010, 03:14 pm »
If anything, the refs let them play more than a typical NHL game :)

I agree, that game last night was brutal.  Both teams were playing like it was a gold medal round.  No one gave the US a chance to medal but they have a good shot.  The Russian team has some serious firepower and we have not heard the last from the Canadians.  The Canadian team is an Allstar squad of crazy-talented players.  I can't see a team with this much talent and pride going down without a fight.  Also, it looks like Luoungo will be in the pipes for the Canucks.  I think Luoungo would have stopped a couple of those shots last night.  No soft goals but Brodeur may be losing a step.  A young Marty B would have shut the door on at least two of those goals last night. 

If the US doesn't win, I want Canada to win the gold.  The US has some pockets of strong hockey enthusiasm (I live in one of them!) but my Canadian friends really appreciate the game much more than most people in the US.  It's a shame because, IMO, there is nothing as exciting as a live hockey game.  No more off-topic talk! 

USA, USA!

J

doorman

« Reply #21 on: 22 Feb 2010, 03:43 pm »
Anyone else find it odd that the ice cleaners were rushed out before the Canadian power plays?
Also, the ice rinks look rather small for an international tournament don't they?
It will be different when Roberto Luoungo is in net for Canada?
The ice size isn't an issue, as the vast majority of the players in this tournament play on North American sized ice anyway.
Long time fans know that the ice is constantly being cleared/tweaked.
No advantage or disadvantage there.
Brodeur didn't play his best game, but neither did some of the defense, incl Pronger!!
Give the Americans credit. They played a great game.
Ryan Miller was outstanding.
Don

Mag

« Reply #22 on: 22 Feb 2010, 03:57 pm »
No doubt the Canadian team can put the puck in the net given the chance. But team US as well as some of the other teams are shutting them down defensively. The US team looks big and the Canadian players aren't able to penetrate to the middle of the ice and are kept primarily to outside shots on the net. Brodeur should not handle the puck, he cost them one goal and it nearly cost them against the Swiss.

IMO Canada will be lucky to win bronze. Russia looks good, but I think team US is the team to beat.

Bill

« Reply #23 on: 22 Feb 2010, 05:13 pm »
I think I'm one of the few Canadians who doesn't root for Canada in hockey. I don't like the whole Team Canada hype thing. I don't like the style of play or the attitude. However, they outplayed the Americans last night and were better overall in most phases of the game but an inferior team can beat a better one with better goaltending, which was the case last night. In a 7 game series, I would put my money on the Canadians for sure.

Roberto Luongo is a better goalie than Brodeur so I'm sure he will see more action. Pronger is slow and takes stupid penalties. Thornton and Heatley are soft and not suited to the intensity of this kind of tournament.

Will they get up for Germany tomorrow? It doesn't matter because they will lose to the Russians.

jackman

« Reply #24 on: 22 Feb 2010, 05:17 pm »
Brodeur was not up to his standard but the Canadians had a huge SOG advantage coming out of the first period.  The Canadians showed how they could pour it on late in the game but it was too late...and Miller was "standing on head" blocking pucks.  If he stays hot, the US will be hard to beat.  Also, looks like Sid the Kid misses his friend Gino.  A couple of Crosby's passes in front of the net might have had a different outcome if Malkin was on the ice (I know he's too Russian to play for Canada!).  Gino usually deposits  those in the back of the net!  It was also great watching Patrick Kane play a solid game.  Don't know if he's big enough to mature into a real star but he's getting stronger, more mature and is becoming very skilled player. 

I still don't count the Canadians out because they are a talented squad plaing on "home" ice.  Secretly, I hope they lose early and give the three Hawks a rest!  Same with Czek's!  We need Hosa back healthy and rested! Screw the olympics!

tull skull

• I can't send hare in search of anything!
« Reply #25 on: 22 Feb 2010, 06:47 pm »
The ice size isn't an issue, as the vast majority of the players in this tournament play on North American sized ice anyway.
Long time fans know that the ice is constantly being cleared/tweaked.
No advantage or disadvantage there.
Brodeur didn't play his best game, but neither did some of the defense, incl Pronger!!
Give the Americans credit. They played a great game.
Ryan Miller was outstanding.
Don

You wouldn't be from BC now would ya?
If you mean by "constantly" the scheduled tv time outs, well then ya, I guess you got me.

NHL players have played in the last 3 or 4 Olympiads, um, what size ice did they play on for those?