First test of 2010 F1 teams

ltr317

First test of 2010 F1 teams
« on: 4 Feb 2010, 11:17 pm »
Ferrari, Sauber and McLaren were fastest among the teams first test of the 2010 F1 cars at Valencia.  With this year's new regulation of no refueling during a race, not sure what to make of the results.  Only seven of the thirteen teams participated, as the remainder are not ready yet.  I think the next test at Jerez would be a better indication of the potential of each team.

mfsoa

Re: First test of 2010 F1 teams
« Reply #1 on: 5 Feb 2010, 12:21 am »
I'm definitely getting that tingly feeling the month before the season starts  :thumb:

One good thing about the refueling ban is that it eliminates the fuel-load question going into Q3. I really hated how you could try to swipe a pole by ruining your race strategy, and also the yawning gap between the 10th and 11th cars on the grid which weigh many kilos different due to fuel load.

So I was very excited to have this years Q3 be a flat-out balls-to-the-wall "who is fastest today, period" kind of deal, but now a new rule says you have to start the race on your Q3 tires. WTF?  Now we can still have people artificially boosting their grid position by deliberately damaging their race-pace. I don't want to see mid-packers start on full tanks w/ soft tires after an attempt to up their grid position, only to have to pit 5 laps in 'cause the cords are showing!

I was hoping to have complete separation of quali and race but oh well.

I do think the refueling ban is going to spice things up, and we'll have cars catching up by seconds a lap toward the end of the race based on tire performance (1 stop?  2?  Do I nurse 'em or am I forced to pit 5 laps from the finish etc), instead of having essentially "perfect" cars for the whole race.

-Mike

ltr317

« Reply #2 on: 5 Feb 2010, 04:42 pm »
Hi Mike.  Yes, tires will be a major factor with the refueling ban this year.  It's too bad that there's only one tire supplier though.  I remember last year when Bridgestone did not make the right tire compound for certain tracks and conditions. 

richidoo

« Reply #3 on: 6 Feb 2010, 03:31 pm »
Weird rule. Maybe it will "evolve" as new rules often do at the beginning of season.

Looking forward to racing!
Rich