Off-road bikes.

Imperial

• Love keeps us in the air, when we ought to fall.
Off-road bikes.
« on: 19 May 2009, 01:34 pm »
Hi, I am looking for a new set of wheels, sort of speak.
But I'm not sure what to choose!
Scott, Giant or what are they called all of them, there are so many I'm going nuts here!

I assume I will need ca 19 frame or something? I'm 5.6 tall.

Imp.

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
Re: Off-road bikes.
« Reply #1 on: 19 May 2009, 01:46 pm »
Budget?

Imperial

« Reply #2 on: 19 May 2009, 02:09 pm »
Well, I can go as high as $2500 (rough equivalent vs. norwegian currency) I guess. I want quality, and I guess that will cost me.
Should I go higher? (Last bike purchase was in 1995 and that was $1300 I can recall.
Imp.

konut

« Reply #3 on: 19 May 2009, 02:38 pm »
I can recommend Cannondale. The frames have lifetime warranty to the original owner, and are handmade in the US, but that is soon to change. I own a '06 Prophet and its a great bike. A quick search reveals 6 dealers within a 100km radius of Oslo.

Imperial

« Reply #4 on: 19 May 2009, 05:18 pm »
Thanx! I'll check it out!

Imp.

Nick77

« Reply #5 on: 19 May 2009, 05:43 pm »
There are a number of catagories within off-road bikes. Once you can narrow down what it will be used for, your choice will be eaisier.
There are primarally 3 groups, cross country, free riding and down hill. A cross country bike will be a little lighter and easy to petal and usually just single suspension and not up to downhill abuse. A free riding bike will be a little heavier and able to handle some downhill abuse but still can be used for cross country riding and most are dual suspension. Most downhill bikes are dual suspension with great amounts of travel and quite heavy and no fun to pedal. But downhill bonzai they are a blast and can handle extreme abuse.
I own a free riding style mountain bike from Giant that after trying numerious brands just fit me best.
Try to test ride as many bikes as possible cause its not one glove fits all.
« Last Edit: 19 May 2009, 07:04 pm by Nick77 »

Imperial

« Reply #6 on: 19 May 2009, 06:44 pm »
I've had a look online now and I came across this one here: (just an example really)

It's a Focus Black Forest SLX, costs about 60% of my budget. It's hardtail, I guess you call it that.
LX level all around. Is that good?
From reading a bit it seems that if one puts some extra cash into the wheels and brakes
that is pretty much smart.

I'm assuming you guys have a favv there? In the brakes and wheels/rims area?
Or is it like: get the best frame really and take it from there?
Also, do I need a rear damper as well? Does it not sort of rob petal power?
Same type with rear damper too, or something

From what I can tell, rear damper adds something like 4 pounds to the weight.
It's no big deal or?

I'm not an expert rider, never tried downhill or all that crazy stuff!  :o. I just want a long lasting good bike!  :thumb:

Imp.
« Last Edit: 19 May 2009, 07:45 pm by Imperial »

konut

« Reply #7 on: 19 May 2009, 08:24 pm »
Bikes are the same as most hobbies, the more one looks into it, the more one sees there is to find out. Nick77 gives a great synopsis of mountain bike differentiation. Its all a matter of personal preference, budget, weight, capability, and compromise. While I'm not a downhiller by any means, I appreciate the comfort of a dual suspension bike. My last bike was fully rigid, but my body was younger then and I could put up with more abuse. If it is set up correctly, there should be no pedal bob with shocks. This comes down to having the dealer showing you how to tune the shocks to your weight.
      Always go for disc brakes. Weight weenies argue that they're far heavier, and they are, but they will be far more effective in all kinds of weather. Personally, I like Avid mechanical BB7s because they are simple and there's no fluid to worry about, but others like hydraulic because they can be lighter than mechanicals.
     Find a dealer that carries a variety of brands, and is willing to take the time to fit the bike properly(IMPORTANT!)to YOUR body. If you mention your budget, this will NOT be a problem! Test drive a variety of configurations, ie rigid, single shock, dual shock, single speed, internal gear, super light, etc. to find the one that best fits your style and fitness level. Chances are one bike will stand out and grab ahold of you, like the Prophet did with me. Lastly, make sure that when you hit the Cannondale dealer they show you a model that has the Lefty front fork.   aa

brj

« Reply #8 on: 19 May 2009, 08:56 pm »
There are several other levels of suspension travel now....

"trail" bikes are usually considered the 4-5 inch travel category, one step up from cross-country.
"all mountain" bikes are in the 5-6 inch travel range and are the next step up.

The more travel, the more plush the downhill and the bigger hits/drops you can take, but the more inefficient you are pedaling uphill.  The nice benefit of technology's march is that 5-6 inch travel bikes are now as efficient as 3-4 inch travel bikes were just a few years ago.

Definitely get disk brakes.  If you need to skimp on components to save money on the initial bike purchase, skimp on the parts that wear out (transmission, primarily) as you will have to replace them eventually anyway and can upgrade at that point.  Frames, suspension, wheels, headsets, etc. tend not to wear out and are far more expensive when purchased separately from a new bike (usually).

Most importantly, go try and ride the bikes.  The best reviewed bike the world may not have a frame geometry that works with your geometry, and surprisingly small geometry differences can make for major performance differences.   Simply changing the rise on the handlebar can completely change the steering feel, for example.  This is where a good bike shop makes a difference.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #9 on: 19 May 2009, 09:54 pm »
I agree with brj.
To me, the most important factors are fit and geometry - if these are right, the experience is so much more pleasant. I think of the "right" geometry as the one that makes turning feel instinctive at any speed. Hands-off riding capability can be a bonus.
My favorite forks are made by Fox - in my experience, they are the most responsive to small irregularities - least stiction.
There appear to be few rear suspensions that don't absorb serious amounts of peddling energy, and those are not cheap. You may well be advised to go with 4" of fork travel and a hard tail - at least for trails.

low.pfile

« Reply #10 on: 19 May 2009, 11:03 pm »
I am a casual mt biker. my mt bike is 10 years old--I realized this when co-workers were asking about it when it was in the office.

I couldn't agree more with brj, russel and konut points.

I have to reiterate that you need to "audition" the bike!  different body types work with different bike geometries. akin to System synergy.

What you didn't state is how/where you will ride....non-technical fireroads(my main type of offroad riding) don't require the advanced suspensions of downhill riding. Will you be doing long rides too? Frame material will make a difference as well. Aluminum will feel different than carbon fiber different than titanium. I went with steel since that what suited me at the time. I may look this summer too. We'll see what I feel about full suspension vs. my hardtail...I've ridden friends full suspension bikes and still not enamoured with them.

Since many of us on AC are in the US we may not be aware of the Brands that are available to you in Norway--are you purchasing local or ordering online?

Have fun with your riding!!
ed

Imperial

« Reply #11 on: 19 May 2009, 11:15 pm »
Well, I guess like trips the length of like 20 to 50 miles is what I used to ride on my other bike.
Casual riding yes. Excersize trips.

Brands... We've got them all I think:
Scwinn, Scott, Cannondale, klein, all of them, and therein lies the problem... how does one choose!

So thanx for the tips! Keep them coming!

Imp.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #12 on: 21 May 2009, 02:05 am »
Check out Trek too... I am a dh'er and got a new Remedy for a trailbike and am super-impressed. The Fuel would be a good general purpose trailbike, the Remedy is better only when things get really steep, rough or fast.

Fit is really important, my only advise is to go with a shorter stem and a longer top tube than vice versa if you are deciding between sizes. Make the bike shop put a different stem on for test rides if needed, and make sure they adjust the suspension for your weight.

Good Luck

bunnyma357

« Reply #13 on: 21 May 2009, 02:29 am »
I have several Jamis bikes and they are comparable in quality to most of the other major brands, but you generally get a better component spec than similar priced models from other companies. They're a little harder to find, but are good values.

http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/index.html

Like others have said, fit is probably most important, and then finding the type of bike that matches your riding environment. I'm mostly a fireroad type rider, and over the years have gone retro with a non suspension steel frame, the tires provide all the suspension I need - and I enjoy the ride more. I'll now only ride the full suspension bike on single track, or in the snow.

Jim C

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #14 on: 21 May 2009, 04:21 am »
yes, speaking of going full circle: a lot of seasoned riders are going back to a simpler set up - even to multi speed hubs, or no gears at all, and looking at meaningful alternatives such as 29' wheels.
I was looking at a 29 incher with no suspension the other day and, I've got to say, the simplicity was appealing. When I rode it, though, the fit was not so good and the geometry was too weird.

It's like shoes - never buy a pair thinking you will "get used to the fit". You never will. A pair that fit right will feel good immediately.

6 years ago I paid a lot of money for a no-holds-barred bike that I ordered from a dealer who is a great local competition biker and has a shop with all the best stuff. I left it in his hands as to the frame size, etc., and I chose with his advice all the equipment on it. Everything was top of the line (Shimano XTR) or one down from the top. The bike looked great and was a pleasure to contemplate. The frame was made by the same folks that make the Lightspeed frames in Colorado and the welds on the titanium were the best I had ever seen. Thompson stem and seat post, Monkey Light carbon fiber bars, Hopey steering damper, Crane headset. The bike was worth about $6000 at the time.

I was just getting back into biking after a long time off, so I left it all in the dealer's  hands as to fit.

When the bike was delivered and I rode it I was not comfortable but thought it must have been me, as I hadn't ridden much in 40+ years (I was 58).
In the intervening 6 years although I love the bike, I have never been really comfortable on it.
About 3 months ago I asked a knowledgeable fellow at a local bike shop who was also a competitive biker to simply watch me ride around and tell me whether the bike looked too small for me, as I figured it was. It only took him 30 seconds to be sure it was, in his opinion.

Damn, I thought, All these years I have been riding a masterpiece of a bicycle that was just too small for me and as a result have never gotten the pleasure out of it that I could have.

Moral? Make sure the thing fits!!

A month ago I went shopping for a bike for my son and was checking them out for him. I rode one that immediately demonstrated to me how badly my own bike fit me - this fit like a glove and I felt I could have ridden forever on it. It was a hard tail with a decent fork and mechanical disc brakes, but it worked for me. It looked rough, but I may buy it anyway - at $300 - re-paint it and sell mine.

Then maybe I could take the profit and buy one of these catamarans! http://www.shuttlebike.com/
« Last Edit: 21 May 2009, 07:56 am by Russell Dawkins »

Lyndon

« Reply #15 on: 21 May 2009, 07:16 am »
All the above is relevant.
Hardtail should be the choice, if your type of riding follows the above and your back is happy.
I was also spending a lot of time looking at mountain bikes in the early spring.  The 'high end' for me was the Fuji
Reveal 2.0.  Though it has a MSRP of $3500, they can be found for much less.  The frames are larger, so if you take a medium, you should test a small
http://www.fujibikes.com/Mountain/All-Mountain/Reveal20.aspx
Review:
http://www.mountainbiketales.com/reviews/reveal.htm
I found dealers that had the bike, but pretty far away, and I wasn't ready to drop over $2K on a bike I have never thrown a leg over.  I then decided to go the opposite way and was about to buy a Giant Trance entry level for $800, but found a much better bike used.
I had kept watching the local online ads, and ended up with a Specialized Stumpjumper
DS Comp.  I am very satisfied, and have enjoyed it down in Moab, and slickrock trails.
You should follow the advice above and test ride them all.
Bikes are fun!  But be careful, just like HiFi, it can be addictive.  I've got the MTB dual, the MTB hardtail, the road bike, the long distance touring bike, a recumbent bike, a Bike Friday folding touring bike and another folding bike.  I gotta clear out the garage...so...I can buy some more!
I have 5 more bikes, but I won't get into 'antique' collections.
Lyndon :roll:

PhilNYC

« Reply #16 on: 21 May 2009, 12:39 pm »
Well, I guess like trips the length of like 20 to 50 miles is what I used to ride on my other bike.
Casual riding yes. Excersize trips.

Brands... We've got them all I think:
Scwinn, Scott, Cannondale, klein, all of them, and therein lies the problem... how does one choose!

So thanx for the tips! Keep them coming!

Imp.

I would stay away from Schwinn.  In the past, they were a great bike company, but now they mostly do bikes that are sold at Costco and Wal-Mart.

It's been a few years since I've kept up on mountain bikes (I am a traditionalist...personally prefer hard-tail steel or titanium bikes, but realize that in today's market these are considered to be passe), but a good friend has been looking a bikes in the same price range as you (his max budget is $3K).  We've gone to a bunch of local bike shops, and from what I see, I'd consider Specialized or Giant in this price range.  Both of these companies have high quality frames...especially if you go with a carbon fiber frame, Giant is the largest and most experienced carbon frame manufacturer in the world...their OEM business builds carbon frames for bike companies like Colnago (one of the most storied Italian bike companies ever) and Specialized.  Both Giant and Specialized seem to spec their bikes with components slightly better than others in the same price range (specifically I've seen this compared to Trek and Cannondale).

PhilNYC

« Reply #17 on: 21 May 2009, 12:41 pm »
I have several Jamis bikes and they are comparable in quality to most of the other major brands, but you generally get a better component spec than similar priced models from other companies. They're a little harder to find, but are good values.

http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/index.html

Like others have said, fit is probably most important, and then finding the type of bike that matches your riding environment. I'm mostly a fireroad type rider, and over the years have gone retro with a non suspension steel frame, the tires provide all the suspension I need - and I enjoy the ride more. I'll now only ride the full suspension bike on single track, or in the snow.

Jim C

Oh yeah, I forgot about Jamis.  Agree that they tend to spec their bikes with components that are slightly better than comparable bikes from other companies.  And I believe they are one of the few out there that are still making steel frames!  They are headquartered about 4 miles from my home, so I see a lot of them around here...

brj

« Reply #18 on: 21 May 2009, 01:23 pm »
There are more bike manufacturers than you might realize.  Just off the top of my head... Yeti, Titus, Pivot Cycles, Ventana, Santa Cruz, Kona, Rocky Mountain, Ibis, Iron Horse, Moots, Ellsworth, etc..

Based on your description of what type of riding you expect, I think a hard tail is entirely feasible.  At most, I'd step up to a cross-country level full suspension bike (3-4 inches of travel).  A hard tail with a good fork and 29" wheels might be a fun option...

mikef

« Reply #19 on: 21 May 2009, 02:46 pm »
Pardon the newb question, but what arethe advantages of 29" wheels?

Thanks

Mike Fox