"SHOCKING" A-Rod linked to failed steroid test in 2003

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
Re: "SHOCKING" A-Rod linked to failed steroid test in 2003
« Reply #40 on: 9 Feb 2009, 06:55 pm »
If we stop kidding ourselves about these things being sports and acknowledge that they are businesses just like Enron and Goldman-Sachs, then everything they do makes more sense and instigates our sense of outrage in a more appropriate way.

Nothing sacred has been violated. This is just American capitalism doing its thing.

As long as money remains our top priority, all other values will suffer subjugation.

I disagree bigtime. The fact A-Rod failed a steroid test in 2003 isn't as big a dea for me as it was A-Fraud's outright nationwide lie on TV about on his never using steroids. Unless you feel a man's word isn't "sacred" anymore macrojack then indeed A-Fraud needs to atone for blatantly lying to the American public on a national forum and violating their trust in him,,, if indeed there was any trust to begin with..

Cheers,
Robin

I agree that integrity is big.  However, why did he cheat?  Money is certainly on the list.  Why did he lie about it?  Money again would be on the list (endorsements, salary).  Why did owners and Selig turn a blind eye?  Money.

AGREED WHOLEHEATEDLY! :thumb:

hmen

« Reply #41 on: 9 Feb 2009, 07:19 pm »
Two questions:
1. Who were the other 103 players who tested positive? Have any of them won any awards or set any records that are now in question? Do any of them have big endorsement deals or great reputations that they would lose if the facts became public?
2. When will the media spend this much time and effort investigating the fraud and cheating on Wall Street that is ruining this country?

maxwalrath

« Reply #42 on: 9 Feb 2009, 07:33 pm »
Two questions:
2. When will the media spend this much time and effort investigating the fraud and cheating on Wall Street that is ruining this country?

When you have a media that reports what viewers think is entertaining or important, instead of what is actually important...it might take a while.

If you want to know one reason why media coverage can suck, look to ad revenue (Money).

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #43 on: 9 Feb 2009, 07:37 pm »
Let's stay with A-Fraud or A-Roid.  Wall Street fraud will just get this thread binned.  :wink:

hmen

« Reply #44 on: 9 Feb 2009, 07:42 pm »
Let's stay with A-Fraud or A-Roid.  Wall Street fraud will just get this thread binned.  :wink:
It was a rhetorical question. I'm just amazed that with all that's going on right now that this is front page news. Also, is A-roid related to Hem A-roid? 

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #45 on: 9 Feb 2009, 08:14 pm »
                Also, is A-roid related to Hem A-roid?

I imagine the Steinbrenner clan thinks so.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #46 on: 9 Feb 2009, 08:15 pm »

I agree that integrity is big.  However, why did he cheat?  Money is certainly on the list.  Why did he lie about it?  Money again would be on the list (endorsements, salary).  Why did owners and Selig turn a blind eye?  Money.

Max - go read 'Freakonomics' by Economist Steven Levitt.  He'd probably find that the observed frequency of cheating appears to respond strongly to relatively minor changes in incentives AND that it is the threat of punishment (ranging from loss of income to jailtime) that would provide further incentive to stop cheating.

MLB has been sweeping something under the rug and the whole lot of them need to pay to piper now with dismissals or jail time...not just the 100+ drug cheats.  The management and owners are as much to blame as the players as they tacitly endorsed the juicing by not stopping it in the first place.

BobM

« Reply #47 on: 9 Feb 2009, 08:23 pm »
Gee, does anyone think we might have a serious ethic's problem in the world these days? What happened to the push to enhance ethics related business classes in colleges and universities? I think we need to take it more seriously going forward.

Bob

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #48 on: 9 Feb 2009, 08:25 pm »

Max - go read 'Freakonomics' by Economist Steven Levitt.  He'd probably find that the observed frequency of cheating appears to respond strongly to relatively minor changes in incentives AND that it is the threat of punishment (ranging from loss of income to jailtime) that would provide further incentive to stop cheating.

MLB has been sweeping something under the rug and the whole lot of them need to pay to piper now with dismissals or jail time...not just the 100+ drug cheats.  The management and owners are as much to blame as the players as they tacitly endorsed the juicing by not stopping it in the first place.

In this case John, punishment doesn't even come into play here as far as A-Rod's concerned and it surely had no part in his lying. But A-Rod's personal intergity and marketability, something the yankees were banking on when they gave him the big money/long term contract could very well come back to bit them in the posterior. Money is on the top of the list here AFAIC and I'm sure as far as the yankees are concerned. :duh:

Cheers,
Robin

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #49 on: 9 Feb 2009, 08:43 pm »
It all comes down to our obsession with money. How much do you make? How much is your system worth?

Why does anybody care about Donald Trump except for the fact that he is rich? Why buy lottery tickets or go to Las Vegas or take steroids or assume a huge mortgage?

We used to be concerned about movie reviews and we can still find them once a week buried somewhere in the entertainment section, but the gross receipts are published on the front page every day.

I think if America is to become what we all want to think it is, we need to realign our priorities and learn to recognize enough when we have it. We have been the land of wretched excess for a long time now and it appears we've run to the end of our leash.

Someone proposed a 100% income tax on earnings over $1,000,000 per year. The outcry was deafening. Ordinary schmoes who have never made more than $50K per annum were aghast at the stifling of free enterprise that would certainly ensue. I'm not so sure it would be a bad idea.

The incentive to reach a million would still be there but the incentive to take vastly more would be eliminated. Naturally loopholes and cheating would emerge, taking us back eventually to where we are now.........unless our national greed is somehow supplanted by a more empathetic and generous attitude than that which prevails today.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #50 on: 9 Feb 2009, 08:50 pm »
Robin/satfrat,

I know you love to take Yankee shots whenever the opportunity arises (and good naturedly 'grinding' zybar/George a bit, too in the process :wink:), but as the full contents of that 100+ men who were juiced in 2003 are not yet known....you might want to consider that one or more prominent BOSOX players are on there, too.

BOSOX went a purdy 95-and-67 that year, a none too shabby .586 winning percentage.  The next year, with much the same roster, they tellingly won their 1st championship since 1918.  I highly suspect more than one prominent BOSOX player will be on the 2003 steroid user list when it is fully known.

Manny and Ortiz are unusually large sized creatures, ain't they?  aa

So, I wouldn't be so smug to point a finger at A-Rod alone...the issue is systemic and much closer to home :(

John

sts9fan

« Reply #51 on: 9 Feb 2009, 08:57 pm »
Nomar?
Manny?
Trot?

I would be sad if Papi did but you never know...

zybar

• Facilitator
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #52 on: 9 Feb 2009, 09:35 pm »
Nomar?
Manny?
Trot?

I would be sad if Papi did but you never know...

Believe it or not, I would be sad if Big Papi was on the list. 

However, I wouldn't be shocked given his increase in size and performance once he left the Twins.

That last sentence is sadly what happens when you have so many unanswered questions out there.  The only way this begins to end is to get all the names out there and try to move forward.

Now if Jeter shows up on a list, I know I would cry...

George

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #53 on: 9 Feb 2009, 09:53 pm »
Robin/satfrat,

I know you love to take Yankee shots whenever the opportunity arises (and good natured 'grinding' zybar/George a bit, too in the process :wink:), but as the full contents of that 100+ men who were juiced in 2003 are not yet known....you might want to consider that one or more prominent BOSOX players are on there, too.

BOSOX went a purdy 95-and-67 that year, a none too shabby .586 winning percentage.  The next year, with much the same roster, they tellingly won their 1st championship since 1918.  I highly suspect more than one prominent BOSOX player will be on the 2003 steroid user list when it is fully known.

Manny and Ortiz are unusually large sized creatures, ain't they?  aa

So, I wouldn't be so smug to point a finger at A-Rod alone...the issue is systemic and much closer to home :(

John

I think you misunderstood the intent of my comments John, if anything I was trying to show sympathy for the yankee organization who just unloaded a whole lot of money on A-Rod. With all this negativity coming down on A-Rod that will probably effect his marketability in the future, the yankees financial investment in A-Rod could very well end up in the red. Now I don't know how you interpreted that to be a shot on the yankees but I was simply expressing what everyone else is expressing on the news as to the long term effects of all this will play out for the yankees :scratch:

Sorry you misinterpreted me John, I've tried really hard not to be snug as I think George might agree to. :D

Cheers,
Robin

woodsyi

• Volunteer

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #55 on: 9 Feb 2009, 10:05 pm »
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=3894963&categoryid=2521705

I think he is sincere.

It's a step in the right direction and he has the time to make things right, if he can accomplish the things he's done but in the right way. But let's face it, he had no choice but to come clean and admit things now in a quick manner. It's the smart move for both him and the yankees. :D

Disclaimer: I still have no use for the guy myself but it has nothing to do with steroids and everything to do with the guy himself.

Cheers,
Robin

TheChairGuy

« Reply #56 on: 9 Feb 2009, 11:27 pm »
He's totally FOS and that was rehearsed.

You mean to tell me he was tested in 2003 for steroids and immediately afterwards stopped doing them?  As they results were never announced and I assumed only now exposed by someone...he had no reason to stop right afterwards. Now, maybe, as his reputation might suffer...perhaps he has stopped now.  Let's see his physique shrink like Giambi's did next year :roll:

Bah-loney :bomb:  He's as FOS as Barry Bonds.

Robin/satfrat - I wasn't at all ticked at your comments, I just wanted to have you think more global, and less local to the Yankees.  Hopefully, the nudnik Steinbrenner sons built in a provision for drug use and or admission as a door out of that overpriced contract.  You'd think after Giambi, that would now be standard on every big contract with a power hitter, at least  :dunno:

A-Rod = A-Fraud = A-Liar

John

woodsyi

• Volunteer
« Reply #57 on: 10 Feb 2009, 04:28 pm »
Listen,

'Roids changed Alex' voice.  :o   :lol: :lol:  What would his love be?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiGPQVUJqq0

soundbitten1

« Reply #58 on: 10 Feb 2009, 04:46 pm »
I'm a Yankee fan but no fan of A-Rod at all . The guy is a cancer on the team and is totally classless . I've never seen a star of such magnitude choke so many times in crucial games and situations . He's been a complete flop in the playoffs . Joe Torre was wrong to bat him eighth in a playoff game ... he should have had him in the ninth position or on the bench . He can't hit the good pitchers at all . When he homers it's usually with no one on base with his team way ahead or way behind so it really dosen't make much difference on the outcome of the game . He fattens up his stats almost totally on mediocre or rookie pitchers . The guy is a loser but acts like a prima donna  . Failing a steroid test and lying about taking them is icing on the cake . Then only to admit it AFTER he got caught . I'll take Scott Brosius over A-Rod any day . End of rant .

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #59 on: 10 Feb 2009, 05:33 pm »
I'm a Yankee fan but no fan of A-Rod at all . The guy is a cancer on the team and is totally classless . I've never seen a star of such magnitude choke so many times in crucial games and situations . He's been a complete flop in the playoffs . Joe Torre was wrong to bat him eighth in a playoff game ... he should have had him in the ninth position or on the bench . He can't hit the good pitchers at all . When he homers it's usually with no one on base with his team way ahead or way behind so it really dosen't make much difference on the outcome of the game . He fattens up his stats almost totally on mediocre or rookie pitchers . The guy is a loser but acts like a prima donna  . Failing a steroid test and lying about taking them is icing on the cake . Then only to admit it AFTER he got caught . I'll take Scott Brosius over A-Rod any day . End of rant .

Now that's "NORMAL" not to perform in a clutch situation when one doesn't have the boost of steroids.  The playing field is now level.