Suggestions sought for a good Router!

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Suggestions sought for a good Router!
« on: 17 Nov 2014, 05:39 am »
Hi. I'm seriously considering buying a router for speaker projects (driver holes, cabinet edges, etc.). I know better than to buy the cheapest thing out there, but I do not know which ones work well for DIY speaker building. Any extra info like 'additional equipment' or useful suggestions on 'how to use a router without cutting a new hole in your thigh' or similar are eagerly sought.  :icon_lol:

Michael

kc8apf

• Are you sure what side of the glass you're on?
Re: Suggestions sought for a good Router!
« Reply #1 on: 17 Nov 2014, 06:09 am »
I have a Bosch 1617EVSPK that I've used on a few speaker cabinets. Plenty powerful for driver holes, rounding over edges, etc. I added a Rockler universal base plate (the older aluminum version) and their whirlwind dust port which does well to cut down on the mess for edge work. I have the Bosch dust collector attachments which work for cutting holes as well but I haven't tried it yet.

As for other accessories, you'll really want a Jasper circle jig. There are other options that offer infinite adjustment but the Jasper is just so simple to use.

I've recently been upgrading my tools to Festool and I'll eventually switch to their router. The main reason is that their dust collection system works amazingly well and the tools are wonderful to use. I've been using the ETS 150/3 random orbit sander with a Mini CT dust extractor. I've used that setup in my living room and not needed to clean up afterward.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #2 on: 17 Nov 2014, 06:17 am »
Lots of good ones out there.  Bosch, Porter Cable, Hitachi,... mine is a Milwaukee.  They will all last a lifetime of amateur use.

mresseguie

« Reply #3 on: 17 Nov 2014, 06:30 am »
KC,

Thanks for the link. I'm looking into it. I Googled the Jasper circle jig, but there are several different models. I think I recognize this one http://www.amazon.com/Jasper-200J-Circle-Cutting-Plunge/dp/B00009K77A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1416205226&sr=8-1&keywords=jasper+circle+jigs  or one very similar to it in pics posted by others. Does it matter what material the jig is made of? I assume plastic is cheap and breaks easily, so aluminum/other metal is ideal...

Festool: WOW! That's above my pay grade....or rather ain't no way I can con my dear wife into saying, "Sure!" for one of those. :nono:

S Clark,

Thanks.... I have the impression that Milwaukee is a really good brand, yes?

WireNut

« Reply #4 on: 17 Nov 2014, 07:56 am »
I have a Bosch 1617EVSPK that I've used on a few speaker cabinets.

I have that same router. Works good but after I saw how much better constructed porter routers are I wanted to return it.
I don't like how the bosch is only cleaned up/machined in 3 small areas in the base for the motor to fit into.
Porter routers are (at least the one I saw) completely machined on the inside of the base for the motor to fit/slide into.
Keeps the motor from getting cocked when you slide it in the base(s).
Also, the stop/height adjustment on the porter routers are better IMO.
Would like to own a Porter, but the Bosch works fine as little as I use a router.

The last speaker project I did with my Bosch router is here. I can't complain. Still needs a finish coat of paint.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;image=73323

« Last Edit: 17 Nov 2014, 09:31 am by WireNut »

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #5 on: 17 Nov 2014, 10:13 am »
I Googled the Jasper circle jig, but there are several different models. I think I recognize this one http://www.amazon.com/Jasper-200J-Circle-Cutting-Plunge/dp/B00009K77A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1416205226&sr=8-1&keywords=jasper+circle+jigs  or one very similar to it in pics posted by others. Does it matter what material the jig is made of? I assume plastic is cheap and breaks easily, so aluminum/other metal is ideal...

S Clark,

Thanks.... I have the impression that Milwaukee is a really good brand, yes?
My students and I used the Jasper Jig for cut outs of 100+ pairs of speakers over the last decade with no chips, cracks, or breaks... so it's actually very strong. 
As far as Milwaukee brand, they are professional quality tools.  Porter Cable made great routers for years.  I heard that they were bought out several years back and their quality has suffered, but I haven't verified that

JohnR

« Reply #6 on: 17 Nov 2014, 01:50 pm »
For your purposes, I think the key thing is that it fits your chosen circle jig and the depth adjustment works well. I have a Dewalt DW... um. Sorry I can't tell you the model nr without going to look at it but it was very popular for speaker builders a decade ago. It's OK, kinda clumsy to handle, the dust collection works well, I've never managed to get the depth adjustment "open loop" (although it's possible I'm just not using it properly). I really like the little Festool OF1010 though, so much easier to handle, but it's only 1/4" shank and I don't think any of the normally available circle jigs fit it. Luckily I bought it when prices weren't insane.

All this from the perspective of an occasional speaker builder.

BTW on the "additional equipment" a vac is essential.

mresseguie

« Reply #7 on: 17 Nov 2014, 02:23 pm »
As far as a vacuum is concerned:

Is it enough to use my wet/dry vac, or must I invest in a specialty vac?

Are there other questions I ought to ask pertaining to safe use of a router?

Thanks, guys!  :thumb:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #8 on: 17 Nov 2014, 02:31 pm »
I'm very happy with my Dewalt plunge router. I've been through a half dozen Craftsmen and Ryobi routers, and none of them have lasted more than a year.....just long enough to get out of warranty. The Craftsmen routers are going in the trash because they need new brushes (a $15 repair), but Sears doesn't sell brushes for my model.  :evil:

The Jasper jig is mandatory for cutting holes.

A vac will make life MUCH easier, unless you're building speakers in the driveway and sawdust isn't a concern. Any vac will do, as long as you can get it to connect to the tool.

Buy one of those cheap packs of router bits. Destroy those until you learn how to use the tool, then spend money on better cutting bits.

Get ear protection.

Find some YouTube videos on "Router basics".

Good luck, have fun, be safe!

Bob

steve f

« Reply #9 on: 18 Nov 2014, 01:39 pm »
Buy a good plunge type router. I like Porter Cable, but Bosch, Hitachi, Dewalt, are all good. Look for a good collet assembly, and a smooth plunge action with stops. Always use carbide bits.

JoshK

« Reply #10 on: 18 Nov 2014, 02:03 pm »
Buy a good plunge type router. I like Porter Cable, but Bosch, Hitachi, Dewalt, are all good. Look for a good collet assembly, and a smooth plunge action with stops. Always use carbide bits.

Agreed.  Skip Craftsmen/Ryobi and spend a bit extra for one of the above.   I own a Porter Cable a Hitachi and a handheld smaller Bosch for trimming and such.  Those are all good, but I like the Porter Cable the best all around for non-stationary use.  The Hitachi M12V is in my router table, its a beast so a bit to use handheld. 

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
« Reply #11 on: 18 Nov 2014, 02:28 pm »
Use a Dewalt plunge router. (Experiment with some scrap wood, until you can get a grasp on how to control it. Seriously. )

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #12 on: 18 Nov 2014, 02:34 pm »
That's the same kit I've got. Wonderful machine.  :thumb:

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #13 on: 18 Nov 2014, 03:32 pm »
Routers? Did someone say routers? I own 16, count 'em, 16. Not all the same, mind you. Suffice to say I don't like switching cutters. I've never tried Festool.

Keeping budget  in mind, my recs for a router virgin are;
Fixed base mid size: 1. Porter-Cable 690 2. Dewalt 616 or 618
Mid size plunger: 1. Dewalt 625 2. Dewalt 621
Combo plunge and fixed kit: 1.Dewalt 618,  2.Porter-Cable makes a plunge base for their 690, unfortunately it isn't smooth and kinda clumsy  as a result.

If I have a love affair with tools, routers top the list. Very versatile, but like any tool can be made dangerous by user. A book would probably be prudent.

TomS

« Reply #14 on: 18 Nov 2014, 03:55 pm »
I have the Festool OF1400 and it's a great router, especially with dust collection, but if you're not bought into the rest of the Festool system it isn't nearly as useful. Typical aftermarket bases, guides, tables, lifts, don't fit it, though I usually adapt them or make my own. I also have a Porter Cable permanently in a table.

PC, DeWalt, Bosch, as suggested, are very good bets.

Routers command MUCH more respect than even table saws as they're spinning ~10k rpm and often used free hand rather than in a table. Read up and better yet, get someone knowledgable to show you how to use one safely and start slow! You'll need very good clamping practices too.

richidoo

« Reply #15 on: 18 Nov 2014, 05:07 pm »
I have Porter Cable kit with plunger attachment, edge attachment. Mine is probably 8 years old, works good. Feels good in the hand, easy and accurate depth adjustment. Lots of accessories available for it. Make sure it can hold 1/2 shaft bits.

I use the small and medium jasper circle jigs for making speakers. Other important accessories for the router is hearing and eye protection!   8)

mresseguie

« Reply #16 on: 18 Nov 2014, 06:18 pm »
Hot damn! This router virgin has struck gold here.  :thumb:

This is more than enough for a good research start. I'll look into all the above brands and models, ask any local experts I can find, and look for bargains especially since Xmas shopping season is nearly upon us. I've got a massive work table that was made by a local guy who reuses unwanted/unused lumber in my back shed. It must weigh 300 pounds. [Unfortunately, the shed is not heated.]

Stay away from Craftsman and Ryobi. Check
Buy a plunger model/kit. Check
Kidnap gullible expert and force him to train me in safe practices. Check
Weatherize my shed. Check
Eye protection. Check
Hearing protection. (Crank garage music system up even louder.] Check
Once I get a model, practice multiple different cuts/edges, circles with cheap pack bits before buying quality bits. Check

Last question or two...

Do I need both an 'inches' circle jig and a metric jig?

How the heck do I persuade (con!) my wife into believing I MUST have a half-dozen speakers in the house?

I've been told that power tools sold in HD tend to be somewhat quality compromised due to HD's demands that price points be maintained which forces manufacturers to use inferior parts. Has anyone heard or experienced this?

Are any houses for sale in your respective neighborhoods?  :wink:

Thanks!

Folsom

« Reply #17 on: 18 Nov 2014, 08:34 pm »
Festool is... something worth saving money for! They make the only stuff you can even use in some industries, for things you'd never be able to do otherwise. I'm not sure I'd buy their impact driver or drill. They don't give any ratings on them, and they have varying battery sizes. It appears disorganized. Their track saw is a gift from God!

However when it comes to routers you're stuck with all their stuff, it seems. The big plunge router by them is overkill for speaker building as a hobby or maybe even professional since you don't deal with hardwoods all day. You can't hook it up to a CNC machine you made, and it's beastly as to be doing router work for trim of an entire house. It's for custom work in field basically; like nearly all their stuff. But it eliminates the need to be at the shop if you even need much of one!

Plunge routers are great for some things, but for a lot of work I like when the router height adjusts and fixes based on a rotating system so you can finely move it up and down by milimeters. It's utterly important that the height adjustment be easy to set and dependable. Porter and Cable routers that use moronic big wing nuts for this will wander or you need to use channel locks to tighten it. The Festool has precision adjustment. They offer a circle cutter too, but it's not not very inspiring to look at.

WireNut

« Reply #18 on: 18 Nov 2014, 09:13 pm »
Okay, here’s the deal with my Bosch router. As a machinist, I don’t like the way Bosch only cleaned up/machined 3 small places for the motor to slide into.
The Porter router I looked at after purchasing my Bosch was completely machined on the inside of both bases for the motor to fit/slide into.
Bosch went the cheat route IMO but I ordered it online without seeing it.
Wish I had a pic of the inside of a porter.
Much better construction.

mresseguie

« Reply #19 on: 18 Nov 2014, 11:06 pm »
Now this I understand.  :thumb:

I'll check every model. Perhaps I'll take stealth photos of each to post here.