WTA mat and keeping vinyl clean.

MRC

WTA mat and keeping vinyl clean.
« on: 20 Oct 2011, 02:12 pm »
Hi,

Just registered, this being my first post. I was looking for a busy WTA forum, and it feels like this is it. I live in Lisbon, Portugal, and my former TT was a Michell Gyrodec, class of 87, AC motor and Gyropower PSU, now with upgraded inverted bearing and springs. It's still there, right beside the Amadeus.

I bought the Amadeus roughly a month ago, and am beginning to listen. It's the beginning of a steady, exciting ride, though some practical concerns are getting in the way of serious tuning. I'm careful about record cleaning, own two cleaning machines and really enjoy hunting and restoring records. Therefore, a mat which clings to record surfaces four out of five times and inevitably leads to mat label area sliding and bonding to playing surfaces, not to mention eventual fingerprints on both record and mat, when forced apart, is an issue. It's all the more important because the WTA is an amazing player, which makes you want to stay the night, as it were.  I'm not really inclined to use tape to glue the mat to the platter cause it's a bit messy itself. Some messages exchanged with Frank Denson, very friendly and informative, made me aware of the former mat and its production drawbacks. Any experiences or solutions out there?
« Last Edit: 23 Oct 2011, 03:07 pm by MRC »

rayh23a

Re: WTA mat and keeping vinyl clean.
« Reply #1 on: 22 Oct 2011, 11:51 am »
Hi i have the same static problem. I ordered a Herbie's audio lab Way Excellent II 3mm mat & a Extremephono Speed Donut non felt mat to try. Should get them next week. But i was told the stock mat sounded best. The  next one i will try is the Auditorium 23 mat, that other member tried & said is the best one. I believe the strong static will affect the sound quality.

threadkiller

« Reply #2 on: 23 Oct 2011, 02:08 am »
Yes, but an auditorium mat... Better sounding, will not stick to records...

threadkiller

« Reply #3 on: 23 Oct 2011, 02:09 am »
Ooops,   Buy the mat...

rayh23a

« Reply #4 on: 23 Oct 2011, 11:43 am »
Ok will order one to try, thanks threadkiller.

MRC

« Reply #5 on: 23 Oct 2011, 03:11 pm »
I am going to try the Zerostat route, because I realized I wasn't doing it right. Three careful "zaps" in triangular formation and a fourth to the center actually made a Lp leave the mat without clinging... Anybody with a similar approach? Mine is a red Milty.

threadkiller

« Reply #6 on: 23 Oct 2011, 03:50 pm »
It does seem like the stock mat will not stick after using it some.  However, with heating season coming and static electricity due to that, it's inevitable you'll get some clinging sometimes.   
I've heard of some using an extremely thin washer that fits the spindle tightly, preventing the mat from coming up...

MRC

« Reply #7 on: 23 Oct 2011, 04:16 pm »
Thanks for the tip ThreadK, hadn't thought about that one. It would have to be as thin a washer as you suggest... Just tried to untangle another Lp with the Zerostat to no avail, this time it was clinging like a concrete wall. Regardless of excellent aftermarket mats, I do wish the WT team would look into this... surely there is an alternative that would fit their tuning balance?

threadkiller

« Reply #8 on: 23 Oct 2011, 04:37 pm »
There was quite a bit of testing with mat materials.
If your table is on a carpeted floor, you might try spraying fabric softener in front of it where you walk.. It works for some.

MRC

« Reply #9 on: 23 Oct 2011, 06:14 pm »
Thanks again, wooden floor here. But I'm beginning to think that I'll have to save awhile for a Furutech Destat... also amazed at the effect that the Zerostat has on the actual sound... not the final answer to static, but the lp's are opening up quite a bit. Interesting.

roscoeiii

« Reply #10 on: 23 Oct 2011, 06:21 pm »
Wouldn't the Auditorium mat be a cheaper option?

threadkiller

« Reply #11 on: 23 Oct 2011, 06:33 pm »
Perhaps... I went with the Auditorium mainly for sound, plus added bonus less clinging

MRC

« Reply #12 on: 23 Oct 2011, 07:08 pm »
Well, keeping all options open... is there a link to the Auditorium? And I think i'm almost ready to topic on the Amadeus damping cup thing... you've been there, right?

roscoeiii

« Reply #13 on: 23 Oct 2011, 07:11 pm »
Don't think there is an online retailer of Auditorium mats. But give Pitch Perfect Audio in the Bay Area a ring. They have them.

MRC

« Reply #14 on: 23 Oct 2011, 07:14 pm »
Will do, thanks. But I guess the Furutech Destat might be the thing, unfortunately. Could buy lots of vinyl, used and new, on that.

MRC

« Reply #15 on: 24 Oct 2011, 01:00 pm »
Amazingly, I just landed a good offer for a Furutech Destat II... If I go for it, should have it next Wednesday... I shouldn't, but it's hard to resist. Anyone tried one of these with the WTA?

rayh23a

« Reply #16 on: 24 Oct 2011, 02:31 pm »
I have the ORB destat gun, it will improvement sound, but will not remove static that stick to LP.

MRC

« Reply #17 on: 24 Oct 2011, 02:40 pm »
I suppose that it might be closer in specs to the Zerostat than to the Furutech, wouldn't you say?

rayh23a

« Reply #18 on: 25 Oct 2011, 12:42 am »
Furutech is make by ORB in Japan, they are the same thing with different housing. 

MRC

« Reply #19 on: 25 Oct 2011, 09:08 am »
Humm, those are not good news. By the way, nice system, Rayh.