The Absolute Best Deal at the RMAF was....

OzarkTom

Re: The Absolute Best Deal at the RMAF was....
« Reply #20 on: 20 Oct 2012, 11:32 pm »
I didn't get to go :cry:

but AMR's new Ifi line looks like a mighty good deal. The IDAC is $299 and the IUSB at $199 sounds like a heck of a deal. AMR says that the IUSB even helps the sound of their $5K tube Dac.

They also have a phone stage for less than $400.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #21 on: 20 Oct 2012, 11:47 pm »
There were several rooms where 1 or more speakers were at special show prices, I just wasn't interested in new speakers at all (but if I were, I'd take a close look at those small one's in the Silverline room - maybe for an Office?)

MIT had show specials on cables and outlets. Morrow Cable was running show prices, including 20% off of previously used/returned for upgrades (I bought one of those - heck of a deal). There were some others, but just didn't pay attention as I wasn't in that particular market.  :dunno:

Several rooms had cash discount prices for smaller items at the end of Sunday, but we were sworn to secrecy. :shh:

Afterimage

« Reply #22 on: 20 Oct 2012, 11:51 pm »
The amazing ELAC 249BE were a smokin' good deal.  The best $8k speaker I heard there.

I own the Elac FS 247 Sapphire Edition.   This is a very under rated speaker line, at least in the USA.  I don't think to many people on this side of the pond have heard them.  Anyway, it does not surprise me the 249 BE's sounded great. 

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #23 on: 21 Oct 2012, 12:14 am »
I own the Elac FS 247 Sapphire Edition.   This is a very under rated speaker line, at least in the USA.  I don't think to many people on this side of the pond have heard them.  Anyway, it does not surprise me the 249 BE's sounded great.
Very nice.   :thumb:

If I was looking for speakers that were < $15k I would've come home with the 249BE from the show.  They were offering a reasonable discount and they're the real deal.  I encourage anyone looking at speakers in that price range to give these a listen.  They're awesome!

rbbert

« Reply #24 on: 21 Oct 2012, 12:29 am »
Many speakers, even some $50k and above, were available for 30-50% off and free shipping to US addresses.

Those ELACs were very nice; I think list was around $6-7k/pr?

standub

« Reply #25 on: 21 Oct 2012, 12:43 am »
And, although I didn't get to that room, it seemed to well received.   6K for everything except a source- could be a deal indeed. 
Ok. now we've got a preamp, a set of speakers, a TT pad, one system, a sandwich, and a brownie.... for probably 50 AC members for three days.  Sounds like bargains were hard to come by.  Either that, or the vendors really need to do a better job at putting up some signs advertising the RMAF deals.

I think it was the advertising of deals that wasn't to be found.  However i'm will the bet to avoid shipping many of the vendors would have sold stuff at a good price.

OzarkTom

« Reply #26 on: 21 Oct 2012, 06:03 pm »
Many speakers, even some $50k and above, were available for 30-50% off and free shipping to US addresses.

Elac goes to great lenths in buiding their woofers. I wouldn't mind hearing these.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=Ua95wiuIa4I

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #27 on: 21 Oct 2012, 06:04 pm »
They were $8k.  ELAC 249BE is the model.  These were the larger Black speakers hooked up.

OzarkTom

« Reply #28 on: 21 Oct 2012, 06:35 pm »
They were $8k.  ELAC 249BE is the model.  These were the larger Black speakers hooked up.

Or you can buy them at Wild West Electronics for $6K.

http://www.wildwestelectronics.net/elac-fs249-floor-standing-speakers.html

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #30 on: 21 Oct 2012, 09:41 pm »
Or you can buy them at Wild West Electronics for $6K.

http://www.wildwestelectronics.net/elac-fs249-floor-standing-speakers.html
those are different than the fs249be's, which have upgraded internals...

in the be range, it's the fs248be's that i would like to hear.  three 150mm woofers instead of the 249's two 180mm's.  and x-overs at 180/450/2900 instead of 500/3000 for the 249's...  tho the bass of the 248 is only rated to 30hz instead of 28hz of the 249, i bet it's more accurate.  and as i use subs anyway, ultimate extension is not important to me.

the fs249be retails at 5k euros, which translates to ~6.5k usd, but i am sure there's import costs...

doug s.

shadowlight

« Reply #31 on: 21 Oct 2012, 10:20 pm »
Hey everyone, just for fun for anyone interested,
 I'll honor the show price
of $900 for a stock built unit for 1 more week! :thumb:
So you can get in on thid until 9:00P.M. next friday evening!! :green:
Gary

Gary,

Is that the price on the amp or the preamp?

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #32 on: 21 Oct 2012, 10:39 pm »

That's on the preamp. 

gld

• Industry Participant
    • http://doddaudio@live.net
« Reply #33 on: 21 Oct 2012, 10:59 pm »
Yes, that is for the PREAMP @$900
Gary

shadowlight

« Reply #34 on: 22 Oct 2012, 10:24 pm »

That's on the preamp. 

Yes, that is for the PREAMP @$900
Gary

Thanks guys.  Need to think this one through before Friday :-)

Afterimage

« Reply #35 on: 22 Oct 2012, 10:55 pm »
:o

yeah, Western Electronics does not have the new updated black version of the 240 series.  The black version has updated drives and the internal wiring was switch to Chord cables. 

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #36 on: 22 Oct 2012, 11:29 pm »
yeah, Western Electronics does not have the new updated black version of the 240 series.  The black version has updated drives and the internal wiring was switch to Chord cables.

Well, either way, if I was looking at full range speakers in the $10k-$15k I'd seriously consider these.  They were that good IMO and they're much less (248BE)then that.  Their 400 series is supposedly crazy good. 

The TAD CR1 is on my list but they're a bit more.   :cry:

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #37 on: 23 Oct 2012, 03:46 am »
also upgraded x-over parts.

doug s.

TONEPUB

« Reply #38 on: 23 Oct 2012, 05:02 am »
Well you could have had a free slice of chocolate cake in our room!  Seriously, I thought the new little sonus faber speakers for 1200 a pair were pretty awesome.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #39 on: 23 Oct 2012, 02:42 pm »
Seriously, I thought the new little sonus faber speakers for 1200 a pair were pretty awesome.

I almost agree... the mids and highs were very good but the mid bass on down was fairly poor, and not just because of room setup. If they could fix the bass issues with these speakers at the same price they would deserve a mention here, but as-is there is no way I could live with them.