My Response Audio Linestage Review

kingdeezie

My Response Audio Linestage Review
« on: 15 Jan 2010, 12:41 am »
After having spent a bit better then a month with all of my current (read as new electronics added) system; and letting everything new settle, I wanted to come here and post a review on the product that has completely transformed my system.

My 2-channel system is as follows:

Speakers: GR Research Line Sources
Preamplifier: Response Audio Purity One. (http://www.bellaextreme.com/purity%20one%20temp.htm)
Amplifiers: Odyssey Kismetros Monoblocks (Kismet/Stratos Hybrids in Stratos cases)
Analog Source: JA Michell Gyrodec/Tecnoarm/Dynavector 20XHO
Analog Preamp: Custom Dodd Battery Phono Preamplifier
Digital Source: CIA VDA-2/VAC-1 with RAL umbilical cable.

Back in early 2009, I received my Line Source speakers. I was extremely eager to set them up and have them playing loud and proud. I read a great review by Art (who you may know from here  :thumb:) on stereomojo about them, and I couldn't wait to get them since they were supposed to bring a high level of performance to us hard-working everyday people.

My critical mistake was trying to stuff them into a smallish room with electronics that were NOT up to snuff. So, I began to make purchase after purchase trying to find what I was looking for.

Before the Response Pre, the music was like looking at a gorgeous woman through broken glass. I could hear that the sound I wanted (that live you-are-there sound) was not quite in focus. I would move my proverbial "head" to capture a better glance at her (read as continuously upgrade and change components), but I couldn't quite get a good glance at her (experience what the speakers were truly capable of).

Flash forward to a couple of months ago, and I see this Response Preamp on sale here on audiocircle. Perhaps it was its gorgeous wood-working, or its beautiful blue eye (LED volume unit), or perhaps Arthur's recommendation of Response Audio; but I had to have it.

After having it dancing with the Odysseys and my Line Sources for a few months now; and having broken in my Odyssesys that came back to me mid-december 09; I can state that I am completely satisfied; the glass has been repaired, and boy does she look great  :eyebrows:

The Response Preamp, IMO, manages to straddle a complex conglomeration of musical reproduction ideals with extreme grace.

The first thing that was immediately apparent to me when inserting the preamplifier into the chain was an extreme sense of detail amidst a beautiful sea of tone and body. Guitars stream or march (depending on the musical selection) into the room in a beautiful and full way; but not before you hear the performer pic the strings, and never distractingly in front of that same performer moving his hands over the frets onto the next note.

Drums never sounded so real and natural in my system. Snare drums are tight and extremely fleshed out. Cymbals are reproduced exactly like they are recorded; with some of the better recordings presenting me with that beautiful and sparkely roundedness that follows after the drumstick (you hear this too) slaps the cymbal. Bass drum is extremely visceral, but very articulate.

Vocals are presented in such a natural way that when I close my eyes I can define them in my mind's eye right in the room with me.

The most IMPRESSIVE aspect for me though is how AMAZING bass is reproduced here. I do not use a subwoofer since my speakers are full range, but everything in the bass region is produced here with a surreal presence. I feel during some songs that I could actually get up and walk into the bass (if that makes any sense to anyone). Its deep, wide, and cavernous in its breadth. Its also extremely articulate as well; more so then I have ever personally heard anywhere. Its amazing to spin "Moving Pictures" and listen to Lee and Pert dance around each other without ever losing focus of each individual performer.

If you couldn't tell, I am completely in love with my Response Preamp. I am a young working man with two kids(read as does not have ridiculous amounts of money to expend); to have this level of performance is very exciting for me. I am sure I could buy better components here and there; but the Response preamp is certainly with me for the long haul.

Bill is also awesome to work with. He has helped me beyond the call of duty, and I didn't even purchase the product from him; I bought it used. He even transferred the warranty for me. A+ customer service.

Thanks for reading!     

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
Re: My Response Audio Linestage Review
« Reply #1 on: 7 Apr 2010, 11:06 pm »
Hi kingdeezie

Just wanted to check in and see how the Purity One preamp has been behaving for you. Hope you are still enjoying it.