Berekely Audio DAC (I mean D/A)

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
Berekely Audio DAC (I mean D/A)
« on: 14 Feb 2012, 11:42 pm »
Does anybody have experience with this D/A?  I heard it has balanced outputs and a output level control.  That is for my "ultimate D/A" to skip the preamp and drive a Cherry Amp directly.  Also wondering how Berekely Audio compares to Lavry, Benchmark, and Lucid.  Thanks!

-Tommy O

firedog

Re: Berekely Audio DAC (I mean D/A)
« Reply #1 on: 15 Feb 2012, 08:59 am »
Hi-

Very good DAC. Tastes differ, some think it is the best DAC for it's price and below. Check over at computeraudiophile.com, there's alot of discussion of it there. Chris, who runs the site owns one (the new mk II version) as his reference DAC; I'm sure he'd be glad to answer any questions you might have.

I think it is noticeably better than the DACs you mentioned (also costs more), and yes, it is designed to function as a preamp.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #2 on: 15 Feb 2012, 12:24 pm »
TAS rated it as one of the best available last year.  May have been the year before :dunno:.  Made it sound highly appealing to me.  My first player was a Sony that could drive my active speakers direct.  Astonishingly clear window on the event.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #3 on: 5 Mar 2012, 07:55 pm »
  Tommy think PDX DAC, LED volume control, no pre needed. Wolfson receiver and battey powered USB port. Dueland VSF copper output caps oh my !!
   I have one for evaluation so far really good.

charles

mfsoa

« Reply #4 on: 5 Mar 2012, 08:14 pm »
I don't know if I would rely on a digital volume control as my only means of attenuation.

I can't find the output impedence of the Berkely - As you know the input of your amps is lower than some...

S'posed to be a killer DAC though
-Mike

Phil

« Reply #5 on: 5 Mar 2012, 09:53 pm »
No direct experience but have read many reviews and user comments.  Some make the distinction between using the DAC only, which all seem to agree, tastes considered, that it is reference quality, and using the preamp section, which some consider inferior to a good preamp.

Perhaps they have a trial period.