BDA-3 DAC

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BDA-3 DAC
« Reply #1340 on: 21 Feb 2021, 09:03 pm »
Cable appears to be in excellent condition. The B connector end is standard 4-pin.

OK if you have another cable worth a try just to see.

Chris Rice monitors this forum so lets see if he has any ideas - may be tomorrow though

james

piezoman

• Decware: Torii MK V, Zbit, ZRock2
« Reply #1341 on: 21 Feb 2021, 09:30 pm »
James,

You found the culprit!

I just now tried a cheap printer cable I had lying around and voila....all good.

Thanks for your help sir.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1342 on: 21 Feb 2021, 09:55 pm »
James,

You found the culprit!

I just now tried a cheap printer cable I had lying around and voila....all good.

I have run into this before where the more exotic cables do not seem to work for some reason. :scratch:

james

piezoman

« Reply #1343 on: 22 Feb 2021, 08:31 pm »
xxx

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1344 on: 22 Feb 2021, 08:37 pm »
xxx

Well I find so much of that is a matter of opinion so I would not sweat it.  Still I would like to know why no USB.

If you do not mind email Chris and see if he can dial into your network and have a look. - crice@bryston.com

james

piezoman

« Reply #1345 on: 22 Feb 2021, 08:44 pm »
James,

Thanks.........My error. All is good. Sound is swimming all about in the room. A huge whole note just fell off its staff and clubbed me on the side of the head. Big smiles  :D

Toberius

« Reply #1346 on: 27 Feb 2021, 06:43 pm »
Hi there.

Someone here is linux user?

Here an user linux from regular to common and I'm glad to do work my BDA-3 in bitperfect on Gentoo.
I do not use any audiophile dedicated distro because linux is my main OS in almost all boxes what I have.
To achieve bitperfect golas in linux you need ALSA, MPD, a client MPD (I'm using Cantata) and a DAC DSD native capable like BDA-3. No pulseaudio, no resampling, no DoP on DSD files and so.
The front leds of DSD columns lit in ambar colour when I play a DSD from Cantata.

I take this post to ask that the official Bryston website does not have the firmwares and I would like to know what happened. I have installed the firmware version u2018.05d (index.htm-014) on my BDA-3.

Regards.

marcosax

« Reply #1347 on: 1 Mar 2021, 07:05 pm »

I take this post to ask that the official Bryston website does not have the firmwares and I would like to know what happened. I have installed the firmware version u2018.05d (index.htm-014) on my BDA-3.

same here

???

marcosax

Re: BDA-3 DAC Downloads Gone?
« Reply #1348 on: 1 Mar 2021, 07:12 pm »
Does anyone know why Bryston has deleted the BDA-3 downloads (firmware etc.) from their download site?

Gerald

Hi Gerald!
actually, an explanation would be nice

Marco

Mike Pickett

Re: BDA-3 DAC Downloads Gone?
« Reply #1349 on: 1 Mar 2021, 08:02 pm »
Hi Gerald!
actually, an explanation would be nice

Marco

Hi All,

While all BDA3's perform the same, some use different hardware, including different microprocessors that aren't compatible with every firmware release.  This presents the risk of 'bricking' the unit if an inappropriate firmware build is installed, so we decided to remove the files from our download page. 

In the event that a firmware update is required, we will send you the correct build, based on the serial # of your unit.

Thanks,

Mike

gbaby

« Reply #1350 on: 4 Mar 2021, 02:36 pm »
James,

You found the culprit!

Even though the cheap USB cable worked, you still need to compare it to a better cable, just don't use the brand that did not work. There is a difference in the sound for sure.

audioMirror

Re: BDA-3/BDP-2 ---- USB Connection With NO SOUND
« Reply #1351 on: 21 Mar 2021, 10:46 pm »
Hello all,

I have a BDP-2 / BDA-3 combination. I keep hearing the USB connection is audibly superior to the AES-EBU connection.

... snip

Brad

I'm happy a different USB cable worked for you.

However, I disagree that the USB is better.  I feel the AES-EBU is better (though some may have a different taste, and my BDP-2 does have the newer output board).

They are definitely extremely different - so different that I wonder what the engineering issue is with them?  One of them cannot be the optimum sound (and perhaps both aren't).

I am loving the AES/EBU sound.  I just wonder if there is more to be had, perhaps in a future product.

Clive197

« Reply #1352 on: 29 Mar 2021, 05:24 pm »
The BDA-3 DAC in my BR20 is simply the best DAC I’ve ever heard. Certainly compares with high end products from PS Audio and Chord.
« Last Edit: 30 Mar 2021, 01:49 pm by Clive197 »

fbny71

« Reply #1353 on: 4 Apr 2021, 01:20 pm »
I’ve got an opportunity to buy a demo unit but in silver.

James, is  Mike the man to ask re price to change the face to black?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1354 on: 4 Apr 2021, 01:25 pm »
I’ve got an opportunity to buy a demo unit but in silver.

James, is  Mike the man to ask re price to change the face to black?

Hi fbny

I am surprised there is a demo unit available?

Anyway yes Mike would be the guy - it is not an easy job and it may be a while before we have extra faceplates but give Mike an email - mpickett@bryston.com

james

fbny71

« Reply #1355 on: 4 Apr 2021, 03:49 pm »
Hi fbny

I am surprised there is a demo unit available?

Anyway yes Mike would be the guy - it is not an easy job and it may be a while before we have extra faceplates but give Mike an email - mpickett@bryston.com

james

I figured it wouldn’t be easy with all the buttons, and yes, demo unit available because they’re swapping it and BDP-3 combo out for BDA-3.14.

Doesn’t seem like I’ll buy unless they make the change themselves which of course should raise the price bringing me closer to retail anyway!

As always, thank you and happy Easter if you celebrate.

sgmsmg

« Reply #1356 on: 4 Apr 2021, 08:07 pm »
I figured it wouldn’t be easy with all the buttons, and yes, demo unit available because they’re swapping it and BDP-3 combo out for BDA-3.14.

Doesn’t seem like I’ll buy unless they make the change themselves which of course should raise the price bringing me closer to retail anyway!

As always, thank you and happy Easter if you celebrate.

Hello,
I have some insight because I swapped the silver faceplate on my BDA-3 for a black one but first I need to introduce myself to be able to post.

I would like to introduce myself.
My name is Patrick and I own several Bryston products ( BDA-3, BDP-3, BCD-3, BDP-17 cubed and 14B cubed).

The faceplate swap was not too difficult just takes patience. The cost was $400 for the faceplate plus the buttons but that was back in 2017.

Hopefully this gets posted and will help you decide if the demo unit price is worth it if you have to change the faceplate.

Mike Pickett

« Reply #1357 on: 5 Apr 2021, 12:38 pm »
Hello,
I have some insight because I swapped the silver faceplate on my BDA-3 for a black one but first I need to introduce myself to be able to post.

I would like to introduce myself.
My name is Patrick and I own several Bryston products ( BDA-3, BDP-3, BCD-3, BDP-17 cubed and 14B cubed).

The faceplate swap was not too difficult just takes patience. The cost was $400 for the faceplate plus the buttons but that was back in 2017.

Hopefully this gets posted and will help you decide if the demo unit price is worth it if you have to change the faceplate.

Thanks Patrick,

fbny17: The pricing for BDA3 dress panel and buttons remains at $400.00, plus shipping.

Thanks,

Mike

BWPhil

« Reply #1358 on: 9 Apr 2021, 02:06 am »
Hi:

I like to introduce myself. I am located in Toronto, Canada. I have many Bryston products: 14BSST, BP26, BDA2, BDA3, BDP2, BP17 Cubed, 7BST and 7B Cubed.

I have a 2018 Bryston BDA3. In 2020, I did a SW update and that was not applicable to prior 2020 BDA3. I had to revert to another version of the SW.

Don’t know if the AES-EBU interface was working prior to the SW update or not as I had not used it previously.

Recently I want to use the AES-EBU interface, but the BDA is not locking onto the signal; I tested the AES-EBU output from my BDP2 to another DAC, and there is no problem.

The link built in the BDA3 for SW update does not work any more, and there is no download from Bryston web site.

I am looking for the latest SW for 2018 BDA3. I am hoping that reinstalling the SW will fix the AES-EBU interface on the BDA3; I don’t think it would have left the Bryston factory if the AES-EBU interface did not work, but I had not used it before.

Please help.

Thanks in advanced.

Regards,

Phil

fbny71

« Reply #1359 on: 14 Apr 2021, 05:35 pm »
Thanks Patrick,

fbny17: The pricing for BDA3 dress panel and buttons remains at $400.00, plus shipping.

Thanks,

Mike

I hope you don't mind but I have one other quick question Mike: How difficult is switching blue LED to green in a BDA-3?