Upgrading

motosapien

Upgrading
« on: 14 Jan 2024, 03:21 pm »
Recently ordered a Fosi ZA3 amp and an Emotiva BasxPT2 pre amp.  Hoping they play well together.  The Emotiva is feature rich and will allow me to do some things my Yamaha R S202 could not ( sub out and an in from the TV being the main two ).  Liked that the PT2 has a tuner and digital input options and is made in Tennessee.  Hopefully the BT and on board DAC will be up to snuff.

I built the top 2/3 of the Hestia OB a few years back and will be integrating a 10" powered sub into mix.  My CD collection has been gathering dust but I have be3n playing more vinyl lately.. Will let you all know how it goes.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
Re: Upgrading
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jan 2024, 04:52 pm »
Welcome moto.  I'd note that the FOSI is an integrated amp and doesn't need a preamp.  You can make it work, just that you'll have two volume controls which will likely degrade sound quality by some degree.  The Emotiva does give you a DAC and switching between sources, how many sources do you have?  If only one you can just use the FOSI.

motosapien

« Reply #2 on: 14 Jan 2024, 05:35 pm »
My sources are TV,CD,DVD,PHONO.  I wish my turntable did not have a built in phono stage as I imagine the one in the Emotiva will be superior.  I can certainly use the Fosi elsewhere, funny I did not notice that it was an integrated amp.  The Schitt Vidar amp looks good but it is not "cheap".
« Last Edit: 15 Jan 2024, 11:56 am by motosapien »

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #3 on: 18 Jan 2024, 11:26 am »
Usually turntables with build in phono stages have a switch allowing you to use either the built in phono pre amp or an outboard one.  The built in pre amps are universally garbage and you're always better with almost any outboard amp.