The Genius of DTS Technologies

witchdoctor

The Genius of DTS Technologies
« on: 18 Aug 2019, 06:22 pm »
Today DTS is known primarily for codecs used in Blue Ray discs for movies, DTS-HD for surround sound and now DTS-X for immersive audio. I've noticed that I have DTS features in my HT components and never thought twice about integrating them into a cohesive "system" for MUSIC until recently. I have a Sony Universal Player with a setting for DTS Neo 6. It will take whatever signal you feed it and encode it for surround. It has a setting for movies and a setting for music. Occasionally if I was playing an old movie that was done in mono or stereo I would turn on DTS Neo 6 for movies and it transformed it into surround sound. I then noticed that when I fed that DTS signal into my Marantz processor I could select one of three settings, Dolby Surround, Auro-3D, or DTS Neo-X. The DTS-Neo-X setting matched perfectly with DTS- Neo 6 being fed from my Sony BRD player. I could take a mono mix of an old musical and be transported into a fantastic fully immersive mix without having to buy any additional software. Then I wondered what would happen if I tried it with music. I set the Sony DTS Neo 6 to the music setting and dropped in a CD. WOW! The DTS Neo-X setting in my Marantz processor will up mix any signal to 11.1 immersive audio. If I feed it a stereo signal it is OK, I prefer the Auro 3D upmixer for stereo. But when I feed it the Neo6 signal it is magic. The takeaway here is if you have any components that have licensed DTS products try experimenting, you maight be surprised.
The "icing on the cake" is I have used DTS Playfi to distribute audio throughout the house. I have Playfi components from Klipsch, Paradigm, DefTech, Polk and Onkyo. I run it all with the DTS Play-Fi app installed on my tablets and PC.
I added these products never really focusing on the underlying DTS system. I bought the Marantz processor because I wanted height channels for immersive audio, I bought the Sony Universal player because I wanted to get rid of my PC and get better SQ, I bought the Play Fi components around the house because I liked the open architecture and were excellent values. It was just recently that it dawned on me how DTS links it all together. I really haven't tried any of the DTS-X movie bluerays yet but I guess that will be next on my list.
So, my hat is off to the genius of DTS and how they can bring a bunch of different hardware, software together into an amazing cohesive system.

https://dts.com/professional/home-solutions

witchdoctor

Re: The Genius of DTS Technologies
« Reply #1 on: 21 Aug 2019, 11:32 am »
I wish more streaming services streamed in DTS instead of Dolby.