A/V-1 & 3 speaker placement etc.

dayneger

A/V-1 & 3 speaker placement etc.
« on: 28 Dec 2003, 02:21 pm »
I'm considering one of these for a bedroom system where I don't have much space.  Ideally I'd be able to have the front baffle within 2 ft of the wall.

How close can the A/V-1's and 3's be placed to the wall with good results?

What impact does putting the ports on the front have (or the top)?  Does this allow a closer placement?

If I make the 1's it'll be built as a tower, with the appropriate volume closed off.  Actually, what would happen with the 1's if they're constructed with the A/V-3 volume?  Need a different XO?

Thanks!

:-) Dayne

Danny Richie

Speakers
« Reply #1 on: 28 Dec 2003, 07:07 pm »
How close can the A/V-1's and 3's be placed to the wall with good results?

Good results can be achieved with them 1' out front the rear wall.

There are pros and cons of coarse.

The further out into the room the more open and three dimensional the sound stage will become. The loser to the rear wall you place them the more you diminish those things and it adds more reinforcement to the bottom end.

What impact does putting the ports on the front have (or the top)? Does this allow a closer placement?

The A/V-1 uses a standard port. It can be run out the top with no problem.

The A/V-3 is a rear terminated transmission line. The plans can be reversed to allow the transmission line to terminate in the front.

Both of these would allow for closer placement to the rear wall.

If I make the 1's it'll be built as a tower, with the appropriate volume closed off.

You can do that.

what would happen with the 1's if they're constructed with the A/V-3 volume? Need a different XO?

The woofer would be unloaded in the larger box and would be tuned wrong and bottom out easily.

dayneger

Re: Speakers
« Reply #2 on: 3 Jan 2004, 08:20 am »
Hi Danny,

Thanks for the responses!

Just a clarification question:

Quote from: Danny
The A/V-1 uses a standard port. It can be run out the top with no problem.

The A/V-3 is a rear terminated transmission line. The plans can be reversed to allow the transmission line to terminate in the front.

Both of these would allow for closer placement to the rear wall.

Does that mean closer placement to the rear wall for a given sound stage?  Along the lines of: the front port version 2' from the wall has the same soundstage quality as the rear port version 4' from the wall?

Danny Richie

Ports
« Reply #3 on: 3 Jan 2004, 04:32 pm »
Does that mean closer placement to the rear wall for a given sound stage?

The location of the port will not effect imaging or sound stage.

It effects the bottom end. When the port is rear firing it couples with the rear wall and adds more bottom end output.

When it it run out the front, or top of the box you get what you get.

Along the lines of: the front port version 2' from the wall has the same soundstage quality as the rear port version 4' from the wall?

Sound stage, no. Bottom end response, close.