updates on new AV3s and center channel speakers

Al Garay

« on: 23 Dec 2003, 08:43 am »
Where is everyone? Happy Holidays Danny to you and your family.

I visited Darren Thomas last weekend and was amazed at how well his AV2s (the old AV1+ with Sonicap upgrade) are sounding. Your new AV3s with transmission line design are looking very appealing. What are you recommending for center channel these days?

Happy Holidays!

Al

Danny Richie

« Reply #1 on: 23 Dec 2003, 03:57 pm »
Where is everyone? Happy Holidays Danny to you and your family.

Doing the holiday rush and shuffle.

Yea, wait until you hear the A/V-3's. They sound even better.

We have another new model that just hasn't made it up on the site yet, that is the A/V-3S.

It is the 8 ohm, A/V-3's in a smaller sealed box design.

It uses the same front baffles and grills. It is shielded and only $159. each for the basic kit.

Horizontal off axis is good out to about 25 degrees off axis. If you need to sit further off axis than that then go with a single shielded A/V-1.

bubba966

« Reply #2 on: 23 Dec 2003, 04:02 pm »
Quote from: Danny
Yea, wait until you hear the A/V-3's. They sound even better.

I was quite impressed by the A/V-3's in Danny's setup at VSAC. I really liked them and haven't heard much of anything in the same price range that sounds as good as they do.

I can imagine that the A/V-3S would make a damn good center channel.

Danny Richie

« Reply #3 on: 23 Dec 2003, 05:06 pm »
Bevis doing the Cornholio routine always makes me smile every time, and that favorite word of yours is a good one too. Two laughs today.

I picked up that Evanescence CD a few months ago. Man that chick has some powerhouse vocals, goose bump City. The first two tracks are awesome. The fourth is a favorite too.

I am glad you turned me on to her at the show. I had heard them on a few videos and really liked them, but it was hearing that CD that really pumped me to nab that CD when I had an opportunity.

:thumb:  :thumb:

BradJudy

« Reply #4 on: 23 Dec 2003, 07:41 pm »

I picked up that Evanescence CD a few months ago. Man that chick has some powerhouse vocals, goose bump City. The first two tracks are awesome. The fourth is a favorite too.

I am glad you turned me on to her at the show. I had heard them on a few videos and really liked them, but it was hearing that CD that really pumped me to nab that CD when I had an opportunity.

Not to derail the thread, but you should hear some of their stuff that's floating around the Internet (demo versions, songs that didn't make the album, acoustic versions, etc.).  I dig them and now I rarely listen to the released disc.  It is nice that they are re-releasing the album with the band's prefered version of 'My Immortal'.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 23 Dec 2003, 07:44 pm »
WHAT!  Brian turned you on to a singer? :o   When word gets out it's gonna ruin his image, Danny! :lol:

Danny Richie

« Reply #6 on: 23 Dec 2003, 07:57 pm »
It is nice that they are re-releasing the album with the band's prefered version of 'My Immortal'.

They are? Sounds like a must have.

you should hear some of their stuff that's floating around the Internet (demo versions, songs that didn't make the album, acoustic versions, etc.).

I'd love to.

I downloaded the "My Immortal" video here: http://evanescence.com/music/vid3.html

Really good!

WHAT! Brian turned you on to a singer?

Yep, sorry about that Brian.

But hey, we also threw on some Metallica and gave that a good rip there at VSAC.  :rock:

jjb

« Reply #7 on: 23 Dec 2003, 09:05 pm »
Quick question, Is the AV-3s just a center channel as the first posting gave me the impression that the AV-3s was a center channel as well as mains :?:

Danny Richie

« Reply #8 on: 23 Dec 2003, 09:17 pm »
The "S" denotes the sealed box version.

It can be used as left, right, and/or center.

jjb

« Reply #9 on: 24 Dec 2003, 01:51 am »
Danny, I know its a busy time of year but when do you think you will have them up on the web site to review. I made your first A/V-3 kit when I lived in Syracuse about three years ago, the only upgrade was with the sonacaps. I enjoy them. but looking to build another pair. A smaller version of the A/V-3 is appealing given my new house HT layout. Jim :D

timkeeler

« Reply #10 on: 24 Dec 2003, 02:04 am »
The "S" denotes the sealed box version.

It can be used as left, right, and/or center.

I take it then that the difference between this and the A/V-C (listed on the A/V-2 kit page) is the sealed enclosure and 8 ohm load?  Anything else?  Being sealed, how is the bass response versus the A/V-C?

I don't even have my A/V-1's yet but already planning the next project...

Tim

Danny Richie

« Reply #11 on: 24 Dec 2003, 04:40 pm »
Danny, I know its a busy time of year but when do you think you will have them up on the web site to review.

Maybe I can get to it right after Christmas.

I take it then that the difference between this and the A/V-C (listed on the A/V-2 kit page) is the sealed enclosure and 8 ohm load?

This is correct.

The front ported A/V-C box is also a little deeper.

Being sealed, how is the bass response versus the A/V-C?

The front ported A/V-C will hit a -3db at 55Hz, and falls like a stone.

The sealed box A/V-3S is -3db down in the 85Hz range, and has a gradual roll off.