First listen to a pair of A/V-3s...

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« on: 18 Nov 2003, 01:12 pm »
...and am breaking them in with various music types.  So far, I am very pleased with the sound.  These will make great combo (HT and music) speakers, as they can deliver the SPL and not sound strained.
I had a nice surprise in running different music types through them last weekend.  I put on our (Austin Symphonic Band) recording of "Ahab", a narrated work done with quotes from "Moby Dick".  For the first time, I could hear all the words.  Before, some narration was smeared.  We are a large group of about 85 musicians and can put out some serious dB's, so soundstage/depth and distinction of individual instruments/sections is most challenging for electronics and speakers.  The A/V-3's presented the stage and detail in a pleasantly surprising way.  Lookin' forward to post-break-in listening! :D   BTW, I veneered them in rosewood that I bought 3+years ago and they look beee-utiful!  I have nice photos and will get a bettter web site some day. :oops:

Brian Bunge

« Reply #1 on: 18 Nov 2003, 03:59 pm »
Hank,

So do you feel that they are better than your SCH towers so far?  How would be describe the differences in bass output even without much break-in time on the A/V-3's?

BTW, when you get those pictures scanned let me know and I'll post them on my site for you.

Hank

« Reply #2 on: 19 Nov 2003, 01:22 pm »
Brian, let's give them some more break-in time, but I think I already detect a better midrange and that's what music is mostly about.  Also, I think I may have the last kit with the T-1 tweeters.  I need to pull one and check.  If so, I'll order 2 of Danny's new T-2 tweets so I'll be up to speed with the current A/V-3 version.
Thanks for offering to post photos.  I have a couple taken outside with only one quick coat of my oil compound, so I'll take a couple inside photos with the final finish.

teetopkram

Update?
« Reply #3 on: 2 Dec 2003, 01:25 pm »
Hi Hank - any updates on the sound of the AV-3s?  I recently auditioned the AV-2s and really liked the sound...but will have to get the AV-3s because my receiver will only handle 8 ohm speakers.  Are your impressions of the AV-3 still favorable?

Al Garay

« Reply #4 on: 3 Dec 2003, 03:42 am »
DMB,

Just buy the AV3 kit and get the Sonicap upgrade for the tweeter crossover. You will be laughing how good it sounds.

Do a search in:
* harmonicdiscord.com
* hometheaterforum.com (DIY section)

Al

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #5 on: 3 Dec 2003, 09:20 am »
Hank, On your website link  http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index  you have a subwoofer, did you build it ? Any info ? Thanks !! :)

Brian Bunge

« Reply #6 on: 3 Dec 2003, 02:31 pm »
The pics of Hank's sub are misleading.  It looks rather small.  :)  But I saw that beast in person a couple of summers ago.  It consists of a 175L enclosure tuned to 17.5Hz with an Adire Audio Tempest and their AVA250 amp.  IIRC, the enclosure ended up being 3' or so tall.  Maybe more.

Hank

« Reply #7 on: 3 Dec 2003, 06:33 pm »
The A/V-3's are sounding very nice indeed - midrange is there, and for me, midrange is numero uno, since I play clarinet in a large ensemble and am sensitive to the sounds of different wind instruments.  I bought one of the first of the new transmission line designs and have the T-1 tweeters.  Danny says I really should try his new T-2's, so I'm going to order them this week.  
This is a great combo (home theater and 2-channel music) speaker, so I'm giving it my "thumbs up" :thumb: even before installing the new tweeters.  After all, us guys over the age of 30 have very diminished high frequency hearing. :wink:

My sub, The Mother of All Subs, as I call it, is my creation.  Dan Wiggins suggested the 175 liter volume/17.5 Hz tuning.  The driver is Adire's 15" Tempest and it has dropped jaws without fail every time I demo it.  For music, I back off the gain control judiciously so it's natural-sounding.