New favorite amplifier

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
New favorite amplifier
« on: 14 Dec 2022, 04:50 pm »
I recently picked up a pair of Schiit Tyr monoblock amplifiers.  These unique amps have elevated the performance of the X-Statiks to a level I didn’t know they were capable of.  In combination with a single sealed servo sub they make a formidable system with a huge soundstage and gutsy, “feel the music” energy.

Highly recommended!

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: New favorite amplifier
« Reply #1 on: 14 Dec 2022, 06:24 pm »
Plus it just looks damn cool  8)

Early B.

« Reply #2 on: 14 Dec 2022, 06:35 pm »
Impressive!

corndog71

« Reply #3 on: 14 Dec 2022, 06:42 pm »
I hate to admit it, but in some ways this system sounds better than my Super 7s.  :peek:

Bigger soundstage and more forgiving of poor recordings not to mention more dynamic lower mid / upper bass energy.  :thumb:

Don’t get me wrong.  The Super 7s are still more transparent but they are also way more finicky with room placement and ruthlessly revealing of poor recordings.

The Tyr amps are something special.

Jaytor

« Reply #4 on: 14 Dec 2022, 08:07 pm »
Congrats on your new amps. It's nice to see Schiit moving up-market to a bit higher-end products while still keeping prices reasonable.

mkrawcz

« Reply #5 on: 14 Dec 2022, 08:20 pm »
There is definitely something about those M woofers that are very musical. Congrats on those amps. I may give the Schitt amps a try. I have the Freya+(modded by me) and it’s a great pre for the price.

audibleguy

« Reply #6 on: 14 Dec 2022, 10:33 pm »
Question on the Schiit Tyr amps, how are/would they be at driving Maggies and/or Eminent Tech. LFT-8b's?

corndog71

« Reply #7 on: 14 Dec 2022, 11:33 pm »
Question on the Schiit Tyr amps, how are/would they be at driving Maggies and/or Eminent Tech. LFT-8b's?

I’ve only tried them with my fairly efficient speakers. The website shows:
8 Ohms: 200W RMS per channel maximum
4 Ohms: 350W RMS per channel maximum

I think someone on another forum mentioned successfully using them with Maggies.  Or maybe it was at the  Schiit store.  Anyway, should be good depending on your room and listening levels.

2bigears

« Reply #8 on: 14 Dec 2022, 11:54 pm »
 :D well  dam, now I want to hear those amps.  Dam so much good gear and so little time.  :D

AKLegal

« Reply #9 on: 15 Dec 2022, 12:32 am »
I'd love to hear your thoughts on the Tyrs with the Super 7s though. I had used Schiit Aegir to drive my Super 7s for about two months and it was fantastic. I just found the Folsom 7293 and my Neurochrome monos to be better. I almost bought a pair of Tyrs when they were released.

corndog71

« Reply #10 on: 15 Dec 2022, 03:19 am »
I'd love to hear your thoughts on the Tyrs with the Super 7s though. I had used Schiit Aegir to drive my Super 7s for about two months and it was fantastic. I just found the Folsom 7293 and my Neurochrome monos to be better. I almost bought a pair of Tyrs when they were released.

I usually run tube amps with the Super 7s.  They just seem to compliment the planars.  I found Tyr to bring more clarity, air, space, depth, and oomph to the music.  Classical music sounds great.  Unfortunately I found a lot of rock music to have a bit of a glare to them.  Now it may not be the amps.  I added V-cap ODAM bypasses to the Sonicaps on the tweeter months ago.  I’m not sure exactly how much break in time I have on them but it’s probably around a couple hundred hours.  They could still be breaking in.  I don’t hear the glare on my X-Statiks.  Those have Sonicap Platinum bypasses.

I haven’t heard either of your amps.  Funny that at one point or another I wanted to build both of them.  When Tyr came out I was intrigued.  I’d never heard of choke input power supplies in solid state amps.  Early customer reviews were glowing and made me want them even more.  The price held me back for a while but eventually I caved.  No regrets!  I’m very happy with them and feel they make a great match with the X-series. 

I’m not sure about them with the Super 7s.  If I can get rid of that glare then maybe they’ll be fine.  I may need to try some different caps on the 7s.  Something a little warmer sounding.

FWIW, I shot a short video of them.
https://youtu.be/9Ao_taobq44