New here

knotscott

• Sterling Acoustic speakers, Dyna/VTA ST70 bi-amped
New here
« on: 15 Apr 2018, 05:04 pm »
I'm new to this site, but have been involved with high end audio since long before the internet was invented.  I've been running a Lazarus Cascade Basic preamp, a pair of modified mono ST-70s in triode, and a pair a of custom build Sterling Acoustics speakers for about 25 years.  The hobby has taken a back seat due to the obligations of raising a large family, but the time has come to do some much needed updates, upgrades, and component replacement in my amps.  I stumbled into this website while research the AVA Ultimate 70 mods.  Looking forward to perusing the archives and maybe asking some questions.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
Re: New here
« Reply #1 on: 15 Apr 2018, 07:29 pm »
Welcome, knottscott.  :beer:

This Thread might just be the best Thread on all of AC as it relates to the AVA Ultimate 70 mod.

Have fun,

Jerrt

knotscott

• Sterling Acoustic speakers, Dyna/VTA ST70 bi-amped
« Reply #2 on: 15 Apr 2018, 08:31 pm »
Thanks Jerry!

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 15 Apr 2018, 08:57 pm »
Welcome Scott :thumb:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #4 on: 15 Apr 2018, 10:10 pm »
Welcome.

Always fun to find long 'sleeping' audiophiles.  You'll find speakers have gotten more what we used to call "European" (tighter, less extended bass) to the point that many smaller ones can sound 'constipated'.  Dedicated computers have gotten popular for digital sourcing with DACs being the fastest changing part of audio.  Class D design is making a big dent in solid state power amp sales.  More interest in how sound behaves in-room and addressing via treatments and signal modification.  Fortunately prices for good gear has stayed fairly constant and entry level gear has come down.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #5 on: 16 Apr 2018, 12:45 am »
Welcome to AC, knotscott.

I, too, was a sleeper until about six years ago. That re-entry into the hobby was just 'a warmup' for the day when my higher education obligations came to an end.   :D

Michael

Phil A

« Reply #6 on: 16 Apr 2018, 01:02 am »
Welcome!

JakeJ

« Reply #7 on: 16 Apr 2018, 12:10 pm »
Hello and welcome to AC, knotscott.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless