How to keep the room from hijacking my sound. . .

Hantra

« on: 21 May 2003, 02:39 am »
In a small room, it is easy for the room to really overpower the system at a decent SPL.  If I play at a live volume even with acoustic music, then it seems to just run away with it.  

I don't want to overdamp like I had before, but I would like to tame it more than I have now.  Is adding more Response controllers the ticket?  Or is there something else I can do short of damping. . ?

B

Obie

a question of size
« Reply #1 on: 21 May 2003, 02:40 pm »
B-

Small rooms pose a few unique challenges-- especially at higher volumes.  I suggest you consider an array of Frames in the principle pressure zones.  They will accomplish more attenuation over a large portion of the frequency spectrum.  Here at Audio Revolutions we've recently done the same in one of our smaller rooms, replacing seams with frames in the corners (two high) and in the center node behind the equipment rack.  It cleaned the room up remarkably, allowing us to crank up our system running the Triangle Celius to a much higher SPL (with a remarkably musical presentation).  Perhaps Bill or Nathan will post their thoughts as well.

Best sound to you.  

Regards,
Kris Johnson

8thnerve

Re: How to keep the room from hijacking my sound. . .
« Reply #2 on: 21 May 2003, 08:22 pm »
I agree with Kris.  The Framed Response products are most effective at reducing overall SPL levels.  Seams are great for most rooms in the corners, but the Frames do much more work and look great mounted in the corners in the rooms that need them.  As with all of our products give them a shot, if they don't work for you they can be sent back in 30 days.

Hantra

« Reply #3 on: 21 May 2003, 08:24 pm »
So your recommendation is for 2 frames then, and they'd replace the corners and seams?

Thanks!

B