External tube buffer with Sensation M451

banjoman

External tube buffer with Sensation M451
« on: 14 Jul 2014, 09:53 pm »
Has anyone tried an external tube buffer with a M451?
I recently got hold of a M451 (without tube buffer) here in London, UK and am very impressed with the sound in combination with my Proac speakers - superb detail and tone.
However, keen to try and flesh out and smoothen the sound a tad.
I am currently trying a Musical Fidelity tube buffer and while it's tightened up the soundstage, dont think its really fleshed out the sound noticeably.
I'd obviously prefer to get the Dodd tube buffer - but looks like its not available any more and its difficult to sort that out from here in the UK.

Any suggestions please for other external tube buffers that might give me a fuller sound? Thanks.

bardamu

Re: External tube buffer with Sensation M451
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jul 2014, 05:41 pm »
Hello,
I just did get an M501 with a tube buffer but i am still waiting for a set of batteries to arrive. The other sensation in my smaller set is also on batteries.
Mabe you could try adding an active subwoofer and change the little 100nf into a better one
Maybe you could order the promtion batteryset That virtue is offering now.
Maybe just change the cap. The standard one is a bit plastic sounding to me. Maybe something like the Russian k75-10 would be nice.
There is or was one person i believe in London too who has or did have two sensations. You could ask him as well.
Sincere greetings, edward

banjoman

« Reply #2 on: 15 Jul 2014, 08:07 pm »
Thanks Edward
The other Virtue owner in the UK you are thinking of is also on this forum - nickname Tarzan. He has been immensely helpful with giving me advice and also suggested I try changing the caps to Russian PIO caps, which I might do.
My M451 apparently has some upgraded caps - cant remember which ones - Sonic Cap or Clarity Cap, I think? Are they any good?

bardamu

« Reply #3 on: 16 Jul 2014, 12:04 am »
Hello,
Yes, i did exchange some ideas with him.
My latest amp also has been upgraded with sonic caps but because i will use the same subwoofers in both my sets i will just put in one 100nf or 2 so i can compare.
The Russian caps are rather big. In my speaker filter i did use them too.
But they are big and maybe top big to install. If you go for the cheapest SVS woofer. They have a promotion now in Norway you can use the 100nf. I have some Russian teflon 200 volts. I can give you a pair. Have some polysterene caps too.
I am not sure if the teflon caps are any good. I really like the 100nf French surplus caps i am using now. Anyway most 100nf caps are better than the bgger values if you dont need them.
Sincere greetings, Eduard
p.s but it is a secure job to replace the caps. I will replace the rear/bottom part of the chassis before i do. Take a look at my posts and you will see what i did do.

bardamu

« Reply #4 on: 16 Jul 2014, 10:20 pm »
Hello,
When i did receive the sensation i did hear something moving inside. I thought something was wrong. Happily it was just a big block with some kind of resin to hide the secrets of the buffer. Today i did try to open the unit because i want to make some new metalwork.
This buffer is installed in such a way that it would not pass any examination regarding safety. Looks like real diy. That block should be attached somewhere just like the other parts in the device. Right now i am to sleepy to get it open. I will have to do it with a '' fresh mindset ''
 You better just '' adjust '' the sound by changing the caps and or adding a subwoofer.
Sincere greetings, edward