Couldn't wait for Revs, so found Minis....................

bbchem

Re: Couldn't wait for Revs, so found Minis....................
« Reply #20 on: 29 Jul 2008, 10:20 pm »
 :lol: :lol:>>> Not to toot my, horn but I think that I might have influenced Springbok because both of us also bought the Mark and Daniel speakers. And at the time I told Bob about them and he told me that the Minis may be better because of several reasons. I thought that The Mark and Daniel Rubys were the best monitors I ever heard and that nothing I mean nothing could beat them. I was wrong, I don't know how but the Minis are better!! Springbok you can respond if I am wrong. We have been talking privately and we seem to have the same taste.

:thumb: Bob, I wish I could sell speakers for you since I love them so much. I have never felt so convinced that I can't get something better ever before thus the 33 pairs I purchased. I still have the MArk and Daniel Rubys, but the Minis are my all time love!!

Aether Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.aetheraudio.com
« Reply #21 on: 30 Jul 2008, 12:54 am »
bbchem,

Bob, I wish I could sell speakers for you since I love them so much.

You're a nut!  :thumb: Our kind of nut anyway - THANKS!!! :thumb: :thumb:  As far as selling our speakers goes, I'd say that Know it or not... you probably already have.  I can't thank you enough for all of your kind words and effort in sharing with others.  I'm just glad that maybe we added a little sunshine to one guy's experience.

All The Rest of You Guys...

...that have posted similarly lately (as well as in the past).  The same goes for all of you... THANKS!!! :thumb: :notworthy: :beer:

After all of the grief we've been through in the last few years, its responses like yours that really make it all worthwhile.  Its really beginning to look like your help in spreading the word is really beginning to pay off too.  Even though the economy sucks right now, I still have little doubt that 2008 will be our best year ever and that many of the struggles of the past will soon be over.

!!!ENJOY MY FRIENDS!!!

-Bob :D

bbchem

« Reply #22 on: 10 Aug 2008, 08:30 pm »
Ok, here is the tale of the Minis and the in laws.

Today my sons mother and father in law came to my house. His father-in-law likes music and has some antiquated stuff. I played him my 4 systems and saved the Minis for last. He is into electronics and likes music as much as the next person. He said WOW to all my three sytems, and when he heard the Minis he was totally blown away. He said that this was the best he has ever heard, and he loved my others. he called his wife in to listen and she began swaying to the music and said its like the musicians and singer are in front of me. This is the second time someone of minimal audio concern was shocked that something can sound this live. He spoke about them for the rest of the day. Proof again of the never ending praise from people who don't even care

:thumb:

Double Ugly

« Reply #23 on: 10 Aug 2008, 08:55 pm »
Nice story, Bill.  :thumb:

I've had somewhat similar experiences with my Timepieces, but unfortunately I can only dream of having 3 other systems with which visitors can compare.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #24 on: 11 Aug 2008, 12:54 pm »
Will you keep those Mini's when the larger ones show?  I'm thinking about trying a pair.

bbchem

« Reply #25 on: 11 Aug 2008, 02:14 pm »
Will you keep those Mini's when the larger ones show?  I'm thinking about trying a pair.

Big Red Machine, are you talking to me? Well I am the only one here ( Now), anyway if you are, Which bigger ones are you talking about? As I did state many times, I will only sell them to trade up in the Sp Tech line.

P.S. another thing my in laws said was how can anything sound more like live than the Minis that sound like live ?? A philosophical question, not to take away from Bobs higher price speaker sales.   :duh:

Big Red Machine

« Reply #26 on: 11 Aug 2008, 02:28 pm »

Big Red Machine, are you talking to me? Well I am the only one here ( Now), anyway if you are, Which bigger ones are you talking about? As I did state many times, I will only sell them to trade up in the Sp Tech line.

P.S. another thing my in laws said was how can anything sound more like live than the Minis that sound like live ?? A philosophical question, not to take away from Bobs higher price speaker sales.   :duh:
I thought these were temporary while waiting on the larger model.  I PMd SP to see about ordering.

bbchem

« Reply #27 on: 11 Aug 2008, 02:37 pm »
Ok, I guess you meant larger Sp Tech like the Time piece or the Continuum. I think you made the right choice, I think that if people who do not share our interest in the hobby like we do can tell the difference between some great speakers and the SP Tech speakers that might mean more than if we can hear the difference. It would take a larger difference for someone who does not normally participate in trying different types of stereo equipment to actually get such a huge positive response. In the past, my wife would always tell me that your speakers sound good and was not sure if there is a difference between the umpteen pairs until she heard the Minis. As stated, she said these are amazing and don't sell them like you always do.

:thumb:

rydenfan

« Reply #28 on: 11 Aug 2008, 03:09 pm »
I thought these were temporary while waiting on the larger model.  I PMd SP to see about ordering.

Pete, that was the OP who is a different owner. What would you order, Mini's or something larger?

Big Red Machine

« Reply #29 on: 11 Aug 2008, 03:14 pm »
The only other speakers I have seriously considered here are SP's but I'd dip my toe in the water before spending more.  Although if it were spring and bonus time I might be in Chicago auditioning those 20k pair for 8k.

rydenfan

« Reply #30 on: 11 Aug 2008, 03:33 pm »
The only other speakers I have seriously considered here are SP's but I'd dip my toe in the water before spending more.  Although if it were spring and bonus time I might be in Chicago auditioning those 20k pair for 8k.

I would very much like to audition SP Tech's as well. Perhaps I should just go to Ted's place considering I am familiar with how his gear sounds... :wink: And if by luck I am able to make it to RMAF, I would like to hear them there as well. I would be most curious of your impressions if you pick up a pair of Mini's.

mcullinan

« Reply #31 on: 11 Aug 2008, 04:17 pm »
The minis ARE that good! But once you dip, you wont go back to decaffeinated. And youll be chasing the dragon and quit work and take your minis on a french gondola and sing it stuff... in french. with a lisp. uhuh thats right.
Mike  :o

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
« Reply #32 on: 11 Aug 2008, 04:22 pm »

Man, I didn't realize these were so close....  I just looked up the address, Laporte IN - that's only 2 hours away  aa

I think I am going to have to make a trip out there and see what all this fuss is about, if they will have me?

-Tony

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #33 on: 11 Aug 2008, 06:04 pm »

I would very much like to audition SP Tech's as well. Perhaps I should just go to Ted's place considering I am familiar with how his gear sounds... :wink: And if by luck I am able to make it to RMAF, I would like to hear them there as well. I would be most curious of your impressions if you pick up a pair of Mini's.

C'mon over!!!   :thumb:  (But wait till I get back from Hilton Head).

Albireo

« Reply #34 on: 12 Aug 2008, 02:07 pm »
The minis ARE that good! But once you dip, you wont go back to decaffeinated. And youll be chasing the dragon and quit work ...  uhuh thats right.
Mike  :o

I have been known to be late for work because I tried sneaking in some morning listening and just couldn't get up again. Yup, it's like that with the Minis all right.

Double Ugly

« Reply #35 on: 12 Aug 2008, 04:42 pm »
I have been known to be late for work because I tried sneaking in some morning listening and just couldn't get up again. Yup, it's like that with the Minis all right.

And Timepieces...  :oops: 

I've also stayed up WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too late and discovered there really is a point of diminishing returns, assuming one appreciates some rest/sleep (lonewolfny42 excluded, of course :wink:).

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #36 on: 13 Aug 2008, 05:21 am »
..... assuming one appreciates some rest/sleep (lonewolfny42 excluded, of course :wink:).

Of course..... :lol: ( late night is the only time I can listen...guess I work too much.. :? )

Albireo

« Reply #37 on: 13 Aug 2008, 01:29 pm »

Of course..... :lol: ( late night is the only time I can listen...guess I work too much.. :? )

Anybody else find the next morning that they've been listening to music much louder than normal the previous night? I'm always surprised to find the music too loud in the morning, even though I thought I made a conscious effort to turn down the volume the previous evening (I live in an apartment building). There's no doubt in my mind that my hearing is keener in the mornings than at night.

I confess I'm enjoying my Minis a bit more than my KEF Reference 201/2s, although the KEFs certainly have their strengths. And Bob still needs to fix something for me too! (hint hint)

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #38 on: 13 Aug 2008, 01:37 pm »
I believe the apparent loudness in the morning is simply due to expectations.  We tend to sit down in the evening and get used to certain spl's, and tend to inch it up little by little until it pressurizes the room correctly.  When hit first thing in the morning with it it is way louder than we would have thought.  I don't agree that our hearing is therefore necessarily more sensitive in the am, just a matter of getting used to it.  Same is true for concerts, etc. First song is perceived way louder than the last song of the night. 

And with SP Tech speakers, louder doesn't mean distorted (assuming the rest of the signal path can handle it).  My $.02

ooheadsoo

« Reply #39 on: 13 Aug 2008, 01:59 pm »
The ear becomes insensitive to high SPLs over time.  Think of it as temporary hearing loss (soon to become less temporary if exposed long enough.)  The converse is that if allowed to rest, the ear returns to a more sensitive state.  That's why hikers are recommended to wear ear plugs to prevent hearing damage as they descend the mountain and return to urban areas.  It's not just psychological, it's a physiological response.

If you're serious about protecting your hearing, try wearing good earplugs for 5 or 10 minutes before listening, to restore your hearing's equilibrium.