Transformer advice

rickmcinnis

Transformer advice
« on: 7 Jan 2011, 07:59 pm »
Dear Paul,

I lost my emails from you and need to ask you again about what transformer voltage to use with the "middle-sized" shunt regulators I got from you years ago.

These are on a small PCB with TO-220 devices mounted on heatsinks on each end.  Not the "big" ones and not the three-pin plug in replacements.

Mine are 15 volts and I cannot remember how much voltage needs to be on the input. 

Please let me know.  Thanks,

Paul Hynes

• Facilitator
    • http://www.paulhynesdesign.com
Re: Transformer advice
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jan 2011, 02:44 pm »
Hello Rick,

Sorry about the delay getting back to you on this. I have just returned to work after the Xmas/New Year hols and have been getting up to date with everything.

You will need a minimum of 21 VDC input as the dropout voltage for this regulator type is 6 volts.

Let me know if there is anything else you need to know.

Regards
Paul

rickmcinnis

Happy New Year to you and to your family
« Reply #2 on: 12 Jan 2011, 02:26 am »
Dear Paul,

Just noticed you had a "shop" here a few months ago.

Please no apology!  I have had these things for three or four years and I am finally going to finish the crossover.

I lost all of the emails from a few years ago and sorry I keep asking about these things.  This will be the last time; I promise!

Hope all is well for you.  I see you are busy and that is great.

Reading about your series regulator on the British site.  Very interesting how this art jumps about.  Good in many ways that you are able to use this more efficient appraoch to good effect.  Luckily for a subwoofer crossover I should be quite pleased with the "shunts".

Hope the New Year is good to you.

Noticed, also, you are doing the phono amp formally.

Ho

rickmcinnis

« Reply #3 on: 12 Jan 2011, 02:34 am »
I have some 18 volts transformers which will probably exceed the six volts a bit.

Will this be a problem?

Well, I thought I would not bother you again ...

Paul Hynes

• Facilitator
    • http://www.paulhynesdesign.com
« Reply #4 on: 12 Jan 2011, 05:13 pm »
Hello Rick,

You seem to attract computer problems. It is real tricky when your e-mail disappears.

I don’t mind if you have any further questions about the regulator application. It’s easy to forget the details of your project over such a long time.

It is rather busy at the moment mainly due to the severe Arctic weather conditions we had throughout December. This country, particularly Scotland was virtually closed down with nothing coming in or going out. We are just not used to this type of weather here so there is no preparation to deal with it. Anyway it has caused a delay with production because materials were not getting through, and now I am busy catching up with outstanding orders.

The shunts should work well with the Sub Xover so I would not be concerned about which type of regulator you are using in this instance.

Yes, the phono preamp is finally done. It took a while to get ready because I have been so busy with the power supply and regulator module manufacture.

18 VAC when rectified will give around 25 VDC whivh will be fine with the shunts.

Let me know how you get on with the Xover and get back to me if you have any problems.

Regards
Paul