NuPrime Omnia S1 at Paris Audio Show, Oct 21-23

rustydoglim

Re: NuPrime Omnia S1 at Paris Audio Show, Oct 21-23
« Reply #20 on: 30 Dec 2018, 06:25 pm »
The first model to be released will be without internal DAC.
It is a customized Android board so technically we will configure internet radio, Spotify, Tidal and all other commonly available streaming Apps on it. Since the hardware is optimized, it is not a general purpose Android device and it is not open for you to install any app as you wish.
The DLNA receiver and server are part of the device service and will run persistently.

left channel

• Everyone wants to date my avatar
« Reply #21 on: 30 Dec 2018, 06:43 pm »
The first model to be released will be without internal DAC.
It is a customized Android board so technically we will configure internet radio, Spotify, Tidal and all other commonly available streaming Apps on it. Since the hardware is optimized, it is not a general purpose Android device and it is not open for you to install any app as you wish.
The DLNA receiver and server are part of the device service and will run persistently.

Thanks for that answer! I found more info here too: https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=151501.0

Over on ComputerAudiophile this product will get shot down immediately if it's not a Roon endpoint, but perhaps that is not the target market.

Personally I only use streamers compatible with LMS. Don't know how you'd install Squeezelite in that type of system, or an Android app like SqueezePlayer. Probably not worth the trouble for NuPrime. The Omnia can pull local music from an LMS server using DLNA, LMS can probably see it as a player using the UPnPBridge plugin, and the Omnia can stream the major services on its own. That ought to be good enough.

So I guess my next question is: will the Omnia Tidal app support MQA bit perfect passthrough and/or MQA 1x unfolding? (I subscribe to both Tidal and Qobuz at the moment.)

rustydoglim

« Reply #22 on: 4 Jan 2019, 02:09 am »
Over on ComputerAudiophile this product will get shot down immediately if it's not a Roon endpoint, but perhaps that is not the target market.

Omnia S2 (has a built-in DAC) can be a Roon endpoint but keep in mind that it is also a server, so unless you must use Roon software, there is no need for Roon.

So I guess my next question is: will the Omnia Tidal app support MQA bit perfect passthrough and/or MQA 1x unfolding? (I subscribe to both Tidal and Qobuz at the moment.)

There is no specific Omnia Tidal app, it is Tidal app (we don't make our version, it is the offical Tidal version).
We implemented MQA in Evolution DAC.  From an engineer perspective, I don't see any difference whether you do the MQA decoding (they called it unfolding) from the computer (PC, Mac or Android) or from hardware. Why? Because we realise that the so called hardware unfolding is just some firmware code on XMOS USB chip.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #23 on: 4 Jan 2019, 03:16 am »
Jason,

Do you think the S1 will be available by mid-March?

Regards,

Michael

left channel

« Reply #24 on: 4 Jan 2019, 05:35 am »
Omnia S2 (has a built-in DAC) can be a Roon endpoint but keep in mind that it is also a server, so unless you must use Roon software, there is no need for Roon.

There is no specific Omnia Tidal app, it is Tidal app (we don't make our version, it is the offical Tidal version).
We implemented MQA in Evolution DAC.  From an engineer perspective, I don't see any difference whether you do the MQA decoding (they called it unfolding) from the computer (PC, Mac or Android) or from hardware. Why? Because we realise that the so called hardware unfolding is just some firmware code on XMOS USB chip.

Thanks for your reply. I'd want to use my own DAC in each case: (1) with the S1 as a Roon endpoint connected to my DAC, or (2) with the S1 providing a bit perfect passthrough of the Tidal MQA signal to my DAC. No unfolding needed. I suspect you will get many questions about this.

rustydoglim

« Reply #25 on: 6 Jan 2019, 01:53 am »
Tidal website says that MQA will be available on Android at a later date:
https://support.tidal.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000251305-Listen-to-MQA-with-the-TIDAL-app

left channel

« Reply #26 on: 6 Jan 2019, 02:19 am »
Tidal website says that MQA will be available on Android at a later date:
https://support.tidal.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000251305-Listen-to-MQA-with-the-TIDAL-app

I am aware of that, and now I understand: this product will run official Android apps only. [edit:] As of the latest update the Tidal Android app offers 1x software MQA decoding when played through the app, but it does not support external DACs that can do rendering or full 4x MQA decoding via USB. For the USB path many use the UAPP app instead, so it would be nice to be able to install UAPP. [/edit] Also, Roon does not run as an endpoint on Android. Luckily I'm just about done with MQA and Tidal, and am enjoying Hi-Res streaming from Qobuz.
« Last Edit: 7 Jan 2019, 06:54 pm by left channel »

Samoyed

« Reply #27 on: 6 Jan 2019, 03:42 am »
I had a free trial for Qobuz. Trust me, Tidal is better.

JackD

« Reply #28 on: 6 Jan 2019, 03:48 am »
I've had Tidal for almost three years and Qobuz for over 18 months and I feel just the opposite.  I rarely use Tidal unless there is some obscure artist that is not distributed in Europe then I use Tidal. 

Samoyed

« Reply #29 on: 6 Jan 2019, 04:07 am »
Content aside, I found Tidal to sound better on MY system. Qobuz lacks detail. Different strokes....

JackD

« Reply #30 on: 6 Jan 2019, 05:39 am »
They do sound different I give you that and which one you prefer the sound of will be based on system and personal preference. 

left channel

« Reply #31 on: 6 Jan 2019, 07:50 pm »
To avoid taking this thread off-topic, I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on Tidal vs. Qobuz differences, as ears and brains also have differences.

I am still interested in learning more about the Omnia S1, to compare with other products. It appears the OS will not support some software options preferred by Audiophiles and tech hobbyists. But OK, perhaps that is not the target market. So what about the hardware? Any sonic improvements or other special features?

rustydoglim

« Reply #32 on: 17 Jan 2019, 01:46 pm »
Today we did the audio comparison (at Singapore distributor showroom) with Omnia S1 and CDP-9 transport (using the DAC inside CDP-9).  The result ? With the same music, the difference is very small.  CDP-9 was using standard external PSU so Omnia S1 sounded a bit fuller and natural (we are certain that if CDP-9 is using linear power supply there would be no difference).
CDP-9 is a bit more forward than Omnia.  This is what we are expecting.  A high end CD transport should perform nearly identical to a high end media server for the same CD music.

This is the last confirmation we need before releasing Omnia S1 for production.  We changed the priority where S1 without internal DAC board will be released first to satisfy existing customers who already have integrated amp or DAC.  Omnia S2 will include an internal DAC and headphone amp just like the version shown at the Paris Audio Show.

The production ship date should be around mid to end of March.   Omnia S2 might be released in April.

simon740

« Reply #33 on: 17 Jan 2019, 02:53 pm »
Today we did the audio comparison (at Singapore distributor showroom) with Omnia S1 and CDP-9 transport (using the DAC inside CDP-9).  The result ? With the same music, the difference is very small.  CDP-9 was using standard external PSU so Omnia S1 sounded a bit fuller and natural (we are certain that if CDP-9 is using linear power supply there would be no difference).
CDP-9 is a bit more forward than Omnia.  This is what we are expecting.  A high end CD transport should perform nearly identical to a high end media server for the same CD music.

This is the last confirmation we need before releasing Omnia S1 for production.  We changed the priority where S1 without internal DAC board will be released first to satisfy existing customers who already have integrated amp or DAC.  Omnia S2 will include an internal DAC and headphone amp just like the version shown at the Paris Audio Show.

The production ship date should be around mid to end of March.   Omnia S2 might be released in April.

Wauu...nice.
Im Looking some good transport for my DAC 9. And Omnia S1 will be a good match  :D

Regards,
Simon

simon740

« Reply #34 on: 6 Feb 2019, 09:01 am »
Any news about S1?
Some more info?
Will it have any special dedicated S1 management application? For IOS?

regards,
Simon

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #35 on: 6 Feb 2019, 11:43 am »
 :popcorn: 

:wave:

:bounce:

:eyebrows:

Hoping for a mid-March availability.  :thumb:

simon740

« Reply #36 on: 27 Feb 2019, 01:08 pm »
Any news about S1?
Some more info?
Will it have any special dedicated S1 management application? For IOS?

regards,
Simon

rustydoglim

« Reply #37 on: 5 Mar 2019, 06:49 pm »
We are trying to confirm production ship date.
Omnia S1 managment is on the device, so you would been to attach a small display, but I think there is display mirroring app for iOS and Android, haven't had the time to try it.

simon740

« Reply #38 on: 7 Mar 2019, 12:49 pm »
We are trying to confirm production ship date.
Omnia S1 managment is on the device, so you would been to attach a small display, but I think there is display mirroring app for iOS and Android, haven't had the time to try it.

Thanks

sresener

« Reply #39 on: 7 Mar 2019, 02:52 pm »
I noticed there is a display port on the back. What are the capabilities of this. Is it possible to have the omnia work with plex for video.