Band saw for "new" woodworker

ctviggen

Band saw for "new" woodworker
« on: 20 Sep 2020, 12:23 pm »
I record Woodsmith's TV program. They had a show about starting a small shop. The first tool they recommended buying?  A band saw. Hmmm...

And then they have another show where they make a variety of smartphone amplifiers like this one, using mainly (only?) the band saw:

I thought that would be a cool present for me to make for my daughter. 

After doing a tiny amount of research, some people recommend this Wen band saw. This comes in different sizes at quite different prices.  The 14 inch model is about $650:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VK2XF1G/?coliid=I27YHNPS7TVIFY&colid=15LWHGA04FA5N&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Meanwhile, the 10 inch model is about $260:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016VD8GAA/?coliid=I27YHNPS7TVIFY&colid=15LWHGA04FA5N&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1

I'm always hesitant to buy something that I'll outgrow. If I want to buy a band saw, do I buy the cheap one, which I might outgrow, or buy the more expensive one, which I probably will never outgrow?

Anyone have any input?  (Or even for a different band saw?)

PS -- This might not be the correct board for this.  If not, please move.

JakeJ

Re: Band saw for "new" woodworker
« Reply #1 on: 20 Sep 2020, 01:12 pm »
I recommend the 14" for a couple of reasons.  First is it is the same size we have at work.  It is really easy to use and we can put a narrow blade on it and do fairly tight scroll cuts.  Secondly I'll quote the old saying, "You get what you pay for" in terms of value.

Just my .02.  You might also shop for a used one on your local Craigslist.  My dad picked up a sweet Milwaukee radial arm saw in perfect shape for $50 at an estate sale.

I like that cell phone "amplifier".

diyman

« Reply #2 on: 20 Sep 2020, 05:17 pm »
Woodworking is a great hobby.  Very rewarding in both what you make and the enjoyment of making it.

What tools to start with is hard to say.  It depends a lot on what you are planning to build.  If it's small decorative objects like the phone amplifier, then a bandsaw would be a good choice.  But if you want to build larger furniture type objects, like tables, cabinets, speakers, etc., then it's probably not going to be that helpful.  It also depends on how much room you have for tools.  The bandsaw is fairly compact and easily moved.

I'm not a big fan of the WEN brand and would stay away from it.  It is fairly cheap and with tools like these that can make a difference in the accuracy you can achieve and the ease of using it.  Still staying in the budget category I would suggest RIKON as the minimum acceptable.   Or you could move up a little higher in quality with Delta or Grizzly.  And if you want to invest in something for the long term consider JET or Laguna, although those will be definitely more expensive.   Whatever you do, don't get power tools from Harbor Freight.  And I'm afraid that WEN is pretty much in that same category.

Ixnay

• We may argue and you may win. You're still wrong.
« Reply #3 on: 20 Sep 2020, 08:24 pm »
 I almost completely agree with the above comments. In a rare occasion, I was in a Harbor Freight store, Many Years Ago. No one saw me, thank god. Whatever tool it was that I bought, the price was and dam, the tool worked, and I still have it. Having said this, buyer beware of just about Anything that you buy. i try to buy from such manufacturers as Milwaukee, Porter Cable, and a few others that I trust. If it is a larger tool such as a band saw, the last thing that I want is constant fiddling, with an underpowered tool, regardless of price. Especially with a bandsaw, things like blade tracking, blade tension, and a decent sized table are worth whatever it may cost. Now I am talking about a floor sized model, and have never considered a benchtop model. In this case, you would not be disappointed with Jet brand products in general. In fact, if you buy a low quality product, you may become uninterested pretty quick.

jcsperson

« Reply #4 on: 20 Sep 2020, 09:18 pm »
The band saw is one of the most versatile tools in the shop. As others noted, stay away from the cheap stuff. You see dozens of them for sale on CL because people figured out early they needed bigger and better. You can likely pick up a nice, used 14" band saw for under $500 if you are patient and peruse CL or FB marketplace regularly.

diyman

« Reply #5 on: 20 Sep 2020, 11:26 pm »
The band saw is one of the most versatile tools in the shop. As others noted, stay away from the cheap stuff. You see dozens of them for sale on CL because people figured out early they needed bigger and better. You can likely pick up a nice, used 14" band saw for under $500 if you are patient and peruse CL or FB marketplace regularly.

I agree that the bandsaw is one of  the most versatile tools in the shop, but I'm not fully in agreement that it should be the starting tool.  It really depends on the projects being planned.

While the bandsaw will let you make both straight and curved cuts, it's not really well suited for long straight cuts.  The table is very small and offers minimum support for large pieces.  Outboard supports can help with large pieces, but it's still not the same as a good table saw or track saw for long cuts.

jcsperson

« Reply #6 on: 21 Sep 2020, 02:08 pm »
I agree that the bandsaw is one of  the most versatile tools in the shop, but I'm not fully in agreement that it should be the starting tool.  It really depends on the projects being planned.

While the bandsaw will let you make both straight and curved cuts, it's not really well suited for long straight cuts.  The table is very small and offers minimum support for large pieces.  Outboard supports can help with large pieces, but it's still not the same as a good table saw or track saw for long cuts.

I've said much the same before. I think the only tools you really need to make a set of box speakers are a track saw or circular saw (preferably the former), a router, a drill/driver, and some cheap clamps. These are tools most homeowners should have in their garage anyway to tackle typical projects and repairs.

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
« Reply #7 on: 21 Sep 2020, 11:23 pm »
Below is a list of woodworking tools for each level with minimum prices for each tool.  I emphasize minimum because while you could spend as little as $600 for a table saw, I own a SawStop model that set me back $3,200.  The list shows a band saw costing $400.  My Laguna 14BX is just shy of $1,500.  While I agree with jcsperson that you need minimum tools for building a speaker box.  However, if you want to get into woodworking as a hobby there is no other way but to pony up and buy good tools.  BTW, I also built the below speakers with just a circular saw, a router(no table) and clamps.  Sorry for the sideways pic of the tools list. :roll:

Regards,  Randy

WGH

« Reply #8 on: 21 Sep 2020, 11:47 pm »

ctviggen

« Reply #9 on: 22 Sep 2020, 12:21 am »
Thanks, all. I have many of the tools up until the Intermediate level.  I have a table saw, multiple circular saws (corded and battery), chop saw, "fake" track to make a saw a track saw, random orbit sander, larger plunge router, Kreg jig, corded and cordless drills/drivers, etc.  Don't have a planer or belt sander. 

Just bought one of these, too, which works really well:

https://skateplate.com/

I'm also insulating the basement concrete walls with rigid foam insulation (hmm..not sure why these are all in the wrong orientation):

That project will take a long while, as I have electrical to move, pipes to move away from a wall, a set of electrical boxes for our solar system to take off, insulate the concrete, build a wall, put the boxes on the wall.  And that only gets me about 3/4 done. 

So, I was looking to use the band saw in my "spare" time, as a break from work. 

I'll check these out and see what happens.  I might not have the money to afford $1,000 it might take for a nicer band saw. I may have to look locally for a used one.

PMAT

« Reply #10 on: 22 Sep 2020, 01:37 am »
The bandsaw is one of the most in Important tools in the shop.  Like Randy above said get a good one or don’t bother. His Laguna 14 BX would be perfect for you. I’m about to buy the 18 inch model. Remember the true cost of something is what it cost you to purchase, how much it cost you to maintain it minus what you get for it at the end. Craigslist is littered with saws nobody wants. If you had a 14 BX for sale people would be fighting over it. I know it’s above your budget goal but then again everything really worth having usually is.