Chord M-Scaler (Turns CD into Hi-Res)

Freo-1

Chord M-Scaler (Turns CD into Hi-Res)
« on: 24 Jan 2022, 07:48 pm »
Anyone here using the Chord M-Scaler?   I have found this to be a simply amazing product.    Understand that the results can be mixed,  but, with the applications I have on hand,  the results are more significant than I would have imagined. 

The playback always sounds better with the M-Scaler in the loop.  Even if you just select the same sample rate,  the playback sound is better across the board.  As the sample rate increases,  the sound improves accordingly.  I'm finding that a CD upscaled to 192KHz  or greater in my playback chain sounds better than playing hi res recordings without the M-Scaler.

Even hi-res PCM files upscaled from 192KHz to 768khz sound better. 

There's more than just upscaling going on here.  The proprietary filtering used is a key component with the M-Scaler.  The vocals and instruments sound very natural.  It exposes the recording for what it is, while providing the DAC with a top of the line input.

« Last Edit: 24 Jan 2022, 09:11 pm by Freo-1 »

Freo-1

Re: Chord M-Scaler (Turns CD into Hi-Res)
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jan 2022, 11:30 pm »
Here's a link that explains the designs principals of the M-Scaler and Chord DAC's (It's a bit long but interesting if one is into digital)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXyjsSYjnL8

kernelbob

« Reply #2 on: 24 Jan 2022, 11:35 pm »
I use the M-Scaler and would not want to be without it.  You're correct that this is much more than just an upscaler.  In realtime it analyzes the waveform of the input and regenerates leading waveforms that many digital recordings do not properly capture.  The key result is that spatial qualities are restored, improving soundstage focus and depth.  Some people misinterpret this process as just a way to brighten the sound.

When I auditioned the M-Scaler, it was connected to the Chord DAVE DAC which supports the dual BNC inputs required by the M-Scaler to achieve its highest performance.  The listening session began with the M-Scaler set to no upscaling.  At my signal, the dealer switched the M-Scaler to the highest upscaling with the highest level of spatial recovery. 

The result?  Have you ever found yourself driving and were stopped at a stop light and the car next to you started to move?  The response can be that, even though your car isn't moving, your brain interprets the other car's motion as you moving and your foot involuntarily jams the brake pedal to the floor.  This is exactly what happened when the M-Scaler was switched to maximum upscaling/recovery.  I found that my hands instantly grabbed the arms of my chair.  This the result of the immediate and dramatic increase in the sense of depth in the music.  Involuntarily, my mind interpreted this sudden increase in my "distance" from the musical stage as my physical position moving backward.

Unfortunately, Chord has chosen to support the highest level of processing on the M-Scaler only via the dual BNC output protocol which requires a DAC that also supports dual BNC input.  I contacted Chord and asked them if they are planning on an upgrade to the M-Scaler to support USB output (it supports USB input now).  Their response is that adding USB output would double the price of the M-Scaler.  Based on the performance of that highest processing level, to me it would be worth it, but it appears that Chord wants to use the M-Scaler as an incentive to purchase a Chord DAC, limiting its capabilities with other DACs.  I still get benefit from the M-Scaler, just not as much as I know is possible.

Now, if there was only someone who could market a Dual BNC to USB converter, I would snap it up in a minute.  Anyone out there know of such a thing?

Freo-1

« Reply #3 on: 24 Jan 2022, 11:46 pm »
I use the M-Scaler and would not want to be without it.  You're correct that this is much more than just an upscaler.  In realtime it analyzes the waveform of the input and regenerates leading waveforms that many digital recordings do not properly capture.  The key result is that spatial qualities are restored, improving soundstage focus and depth.  Some people misinterpret this process as just a way to brighten the sound.

When I auditioned the M-Scaler, it was connected to the Chord DAVE DAC which supports the dual BNC inputs required by the M-Scaler to achieve its highest performance.  The listening session began with the M-Scaler set to no upscaling.  At my signal, the dealer switched the M-Scaler to the highest upscaling with the highest level of spatial recovery. 

The result?  Have you ever found yourself driving and were stopped at a stop light and the car next to you started to move?  The response can be that, even though your car isn't moving, your brain interprets the other car's motion as you moving and your foot involuntarily jams the brake pedal to the floor.  This is exactly what happened when the M-Scaler was switched to maximum upscaling/recovery.  I found that my hands instantly grabbed the arms of my chair.  This the result of the immediate and dramatic increase in the sense of depth in the music.  Involuntarily, my mind interpreted this sudden increase in my "distance" from the musical stage as my physical position moving backward.

Unfortunately, Chord has chosen to support the highest level of processing on the M-Scaler only via the dual BNC output protocol which requires a DAC that also supports dual BNC input.  I contacted Chord and asked them if they are planning on an upgrade to the M-Scaler to support USB output (it supports USB input now).  Their response is that adding USB output would double the price of the M-Scaler.  Based on the performance of that highest processing level, to me it would be worth it, but it appears that Chord wants to use the M-Scaler as an incentive to purchase a Chord DAC, limiting its capabilities with other DACs.  I still get benefit from the M-Scaler, just not as much as I know is possible.

Now, if there was only someone who could market a Dual BNC to USB converter, I would snap it up in a minute.  Anyone out there know of such a thing?

Good feedback.  I have the Chord TT2 DAC, connected via dual BNC.  The TT2 makes for a great DAC/Preamp combination.   Currently using this M-Scaler/TT2  driving a pair of 8552 tube power amps. Great sounding combination. Will be trying a Peachtree Gan400 amp with the Chord to evaluate.

BTW, the M-Scaler is also connected to a Devialet 500, and it enhances the D-500 even better than it already sounds.

Craig B

« Reply #4 on: 26 Jan 2022, 12:08 pm »
I contacted Chord and asked them if they are planning on an upgrade to the M-Scaler to support USB output (it supports USB input now).  Their response is that adding USB output would double the price of the M-Scaler.

Adding a USB output would double the price of a $5300 device?! Or is there a Chord M-Scaler other than the Hugo model that pops up in Google searches?

kernelbob

« Reply #5 on: 26 Jan 2022, 04:15 pm »
Adding a USB output would double the price of a $5300 device?! Or is there a Chord M-Scaler other than the Hugo model that pops up in Google searches?

There's only one M-Scaler model listed on the Chord products site.  Chord had a CD transport (the BLU Mk-II) that had built in M-Scaler functionality, but lacked some features such as synching upscaled audio to a video source.  That transport has been out of production for some time now.

As an alternative to converting dual BNC output to USB, would converting the dual BNC output to I2S be feasible?