Use of second set of binding posts for high-level sub connection

redskinsfan

Hi guys,

I have a 5-channel Meridian 558 power amp that has 2 sets of binding posts per channel to allow for bi-wiring speakers. Could I use the extra set of binding posts for my L and R mains (that have a single set of binding posts) to make a high-level connection to a pair of subwoofers?  :scratch:

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
Redskinsfan,

You will have to check with Meridian tech-support. The only incompatibility I foresee is if the amplifier output  stage is either a bridge tied load (BTL), or balanced output in design. With this kind of output stage it would not be recommended (prohibited) to connect it to the high-level inputs of your sub woofer plate amplifier. The subwoofer  plate amplifier high-level inputs are compatible with single ended amplifier output stages, in other words those that have positive (+) and ground only. Thankfully most solid state amplifier output stage designs are single ended. So double check to be sure. If I had a schematic I would be able to tell you.

Best,
Anand.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
Yes

redskinsfan

Redskinsfan,

You will have to check with Meridian tech-support. The only incompatibility I foresee is if the amplifier output  stage is either a bridge tied load (BTL), or balanced output in design. With this kind of output stage it would not be recommended (prohibited) to connect it to the high-level inputs of your sub woofer plate amplifier. The subwoofer  plate amplifier high-level inputs are compatible with single ended amplifier output stages, in other words those that have positive (+) and ground only. Thankfully most solid state amplifier output stage designs are single ended. So double check to be sure. If I had a schematic I would be able to tell you.

Best,
Anand.

Hi Anand,

The Meridian does allow for the bridging of 4 of the 5 channels into 2 higher output channels. Would that signify a bridge-tied load?

Here is a link to the Meridian 558 user's manual:

https://www.meridian-audio.info/public/558user%5b127%5d.pdf

Thanks for your time and input!

poseidonsvoice

Redskinsfan,

I am glad you found the manual. Thanks.

As long as you have the Bridged Mode turned to OFF you can use those speaker terminals to connect to your subwoofer plate amps’ binding posts (as high level inputs). But connect everything in proper polarity. Red (+) to Red (+) and Black (-) to Black (-).

Best,
Anand.

redskinsfan

Thanks, Anand! I get the impression from what I've read that high-level speaker connection is preferable to line-level from a preamp, though I'm not sure why and whether it is true in all cases. I know it is the preferred method of the REL subs in that they have specially designed cables specifically for that.
« Last Edit: 19 May 2019, 11:38 pm by redskinsfan »

poseidonsvoice

Thanks, Anand! I get the impression from what I've read that high-level speaker connection is preferable to line-level from a preamp, though I'm not sure why and whether it is true in all cases. I know it is the preferred method of the REL subs in that they have specially designed cables specifically for that.

I’ve played with both methods. Honestly I don’t find a difference as any system that I implement with subs always involves didactic and repeated in room measurements so that the subs and mains act as one and not a disparate set of sound sources.

I will admit there is a convenience with piggybacking a set of speaker cables from your mains to your subs.  You can use cheap and should use cheap speaker cables to your subs.

That being said, regardless of the supposed sonic advantages purported by those “Hi Level” connecting enthusiasts and the REL marketing team what is most important is the integration of your mains, subs and room. At the end of the day I have never been able to address that without the assistance of measurements, room treatments, multiple subs and EQ. I do not have the golden ear so many audiophiles seem to possess!

Good luck!

Best,
Anand.

redskinsfan

I’ve played with both methods. Honestly I don’t find a difference as any system that I implement with subs always involves didactic and repeated in room measurements so that the subs and mains act as one and not a disparate set of sound sources.

I will admit there is a convenience with piggybacking a set of speaker cables from your mains to your subs.  You can use cheap and should use cheap speaker cables to your subs.

That being said, regardless of the supposed sonic advantages purported by those “Hi Level” connecting enthusiasts and the REL marketing team what is most important is the integration of your mains, subs and room. At the end of the day I have never been able to address that without the assistance of measurements, room treatments, multiple subs and EQ. I do not have the golden ear so many audiophiles seem to possess!

Good luck!

Best,
Anand.

Thanks so much! I really appreciate your expertise as I haven't used subs before. Ditto with room treatments, SPL meters, DSP, etc. My media room is in the basement, 12' x 25', and closed via doors to the rest of the house. Ceiling is drywall as are the walls, with 4' knotty pine wainscoting all around. The floor is linoleum tile with large area rugs. I plan to place my 2 subs midpoint of the long walls and hope for the best! Thanks again for your time and advice! My 63-year-old ears aren't exactly tin, but they're definitely not golden either!

Cheers,

Michael