OMG. . . .DAC-10 in da House

John Casler

OMG. . . .DAC-10 in da House
« on: 8 Jan 2015, 03:25 am »
Disclaimer:  I am a dealer and have a relationship with NuPRIME, so please take this into consideration with my remarks.

I just received my new DAC-10, and finally had a moment to plug it all in and fire it up.

OMG!!!! This is something different.

Straight out of the box, and ice cold, it has a SONIC that I can't say I have heard in my system before.

I am playing it through a Pair of REF-18 monoblocs, and WOW and Double WOW.

I ran through a few of my REFERENCE CUTS and ran into a BIG PROBLEM. :?

The problem, was once I started a cut, I couldn't stop it to go to another.  I had to listen to the whole cut. :green:

Next thing you know, an hour later, I'm still going from cut to cut.  So I slapped myself in the face  :duh:

And I am now running the ISOTEC "Burn In cuts" for maybe 50 hours and then I'll do some serious listening.

If what I just heard is any indication, this UNIT is very special.

This unit is being featured at the NuPRIME Room at CES right now.

Oh and if you have just taken delivery, REMEMBER to check the "voltage" switch on the bottom panel and make sure and switch it to 110v (if you're in the US)  It will likely come to you set to 220v.

Will be writing more after the 50 hours on the cooker cuts.
« Last Edit: 9 Jan 2015, 04:35 am by John Casler »

I.Greyhound Fan

Re: OMG. . . .DAC-10 in da House
« Reply #1 on: 8 Jan 2015, 04:04 am »
How would you characterize the overall sound?  Is it neutral or does it lean a little bit to the warm or sunny side?

John Casler

« Reply #2 on: 8 Jan 2015, 10:08 pm »
Quote from: I.Greyhound Fan link=topic=131 574.msg1391972#msg1391972 date=1420689896
How would you characterize the overall sound?  Is it neutral or does it lean a little bit to the warm or sunny side?

Well at this point I am still burning in, but the qualities I did notice were:

1) A more expanded soundstage (wider, taller, deeper)
2) A more fleshed out (read spatially complete) soundstage without sacrificing imaging
3) A fuller fleshier sound, not tube-like, but not sterile in any way
4) A greater ability to hear "more" details
5) An ability to hear specific singers or instruments, more clearly

Much of the above could be due to the extremely good noise and SN specs and the low jitter of the ESS Sabre 32 DAC chipset.

audio.bill

« Reply #3 on: 8 Jan 2015, 11:48 pm »
John - Your favorable impressions would be much more helpful if you would please share what DAC you were using as a reference prior to getting the DAC-10, or what other digital front ends you are comparing it to. TIA!

Nick77

« Reply #4 on: 8 Jan 2015, 11:53 pm »
Reference point of pricing also helpful. Thanks...

John Casler

« Reply #5 on: 9 Jan 2015, 04:26 am »
OK, with about 30 hours of burn in I took the listening chair and ran through a few Reference Cuts.

And everyone should remember that I am a NuFORCE and NuPRIME dealer, and have history with both, so take that into consideration.

Secondly my impressions are with my system, and in my listening room and environment which could affect the overall results.

And my listening impressions and comparisons are based on a number of previous components I have either used or heard.

The present system consists of the following:

Source: OPPO BDP-103 used for discs and HD music files both normal and Hi Rez
Preamp/DAC: NuPRIME DAC-10 $1495 MSRP
AMPS: NuFORCE/NuPRIME REFERENCE 18 Monoblocs originally $7600pr MSRP but now $6500pr
Speakers: VMPS RM40 BCSE Model
Sub AMPS: 2 VMPS PBS SYSTEMS (modded and tweaked Crown XLS 1500)
Subs: 4 VMPS Larger Subwoofers

Digital, Analog, and Power Cables are WyWires
Power Distribution is via the WyWires PowerBroker

That said, I most recently have had the NuPRIME IDA-16 in my system, and its pedigree sonic traits are just "extended" here.  Prior to that, I had the NuFORCE DAC-9 to the Reference 18 Monoblocs, which at the time seemed to be as far as one could go in my system sonically (I was wrong) :nono:

Then the NuPRIME IDA-16

Even at only 200wpc the IDA-16 was a step forward in overall presentation.

The front end and DAC is close to what the DAC-10 is also employing the ESS 9018 DAC chipset in the NuPRIME implementation.

I have to say it was spectacular and I could easily have lived with it, without reservation.  It was the precursor of the DAC-10 which is what I am listening to now.

The IDA-16 seemed to add a 3-D sense to the sound and I have posted that before, so I was not expecting HUGE improvements, as I didn't know where there was anything yet to add.

Well, there now seems to be.  :thumb:

All of the very incredible qualities of the IDA-16 have simply been extended via the DAC-10.  Likely, the separate Power Supply, Premium Parts, and the same great ESS Chipset Implementation.

So what did or am I hearing?

I immediately heard a wider, deeper soundstage, which is also what I remarked about with the IDA-16, but of course this incarnation is even more so.  I can't say I was ever disatisfied with the size of my soundstage, but I do like BIG and in some cases SIZE can matter.  No in general when you enlarge or spread something out over a larger space, things soften and wash out.

Just the opposite is true here.  While there just seems to be MORE sound, (sonic flesh) the detail and clarity are also slightly improved.  So fuller, larger, more spacious sonic presentations, with improved weight, and dynamics. 

All that said, as incredible as it seems within all that, you also have no "crowding".  That is every detail, instrument, and performer is clearly delineated in their own space, and sonic individuality.  Even through all of the harmonic textures, you can more clearly hear it ALL.  It is a type of Sonic Transparency.

The tonal balance continues from the IDA-16.  Voices and Instruments sound balanced and REAL.

I listen to a great variety of cuts.

For example there is a cut called "Seeds of Love" by Tears for Fears, which can sound terribly pedestrian and so 80's on even a good system.

Listening to it today, I was taken deep into the synthetic layered textures to the sound.  It was a wall of sound, but swimming with sounds like waves and currents moving and shimmering all around.  But at the same time all of these complex portions and layers are easy to hear.  I am impressed.

Then jumping to the latest Hi REZ Diana Krall and you have the most pristine clarity and sound you can imagine.  My only complaint was with the recording and that was the piano (which she is playing) was spread tow wide between the speakers which is just bad production.  But the tones are exquisite, the voice is sublime and John Clayton on bass (I presume) is as articulate, fat, smooth and dynamic as always.

I also went through "Keith Don't Go" for about the millionth time and can't say I have ever heard it better.

More coming after we hit 50 hours.

mr_bill

« Reply #6 on: 9 Jan 2015, 05:47 am »
John,
If the Dac 10 is a star, you'll need to try the newest amp - the ST10 and see how that compares to your Nuforce reference monos. I'd be interested to hear what you think.

Have you had the new ST10 yet? 

Nuforce/Nuprime now keeps raising the bar with each generation.
« Last Edit: 9 Jan 2015, 10:00 pm by mr_bill »

audio.bill

« Reply #7 on: 9 Jan 2015, 01:13 pm »
Thanks very much John, the additional details that you provided are very helpful!  :thumb:

mcgsxr

« Reply #8 on: 9 Jan 2015, 02:23 pm »
Sounds very cool, and thanks for the heads up.

I will be waiting in the wings for the used cycles on gear like this, but for those lucky enough to get a run at them new, sounds like a great choice in a competitive market!

John Casler

« Reply #9 on: 13 Jan 2015, 11:13 pm »
OK, I have now passed the 50+ hour mark and the results are in.

Sunday I had another Audiophile come by for a listen.  He is as familiar with my system as I am having listened to it virtually every Sunday for the last 4-5 years.  He concurred with my assesments.

All of the previous qualities listed:

1) A more expanded soundstage (wider, taller, deeper)
2) A more fleshed out (read spatially complete) soundstage without sacrificing imaging
3) A fuller fleshier sound, not tube-like, but not sterile in any way
4) A greater ability to hear "more" details
5) An ability to hear specific singers or instruments, more clearly

The above were quite evident and as mentioned earlier extensions of the qualities heard with the IDA-16.

That said, an additional BONUS QUALITY has also come into focus after the basic burn-in, and that is in the BASS department.

My friend noticed it immediately and commented that the BASS was now fuller, deeper and richer in the already present Low Frequency Harmonic Overtones.

We use a few cuts to test for this, but in particular THIS ONE from Victor Wooten of Bela Fleck and the Flecktones. 

The depth seems to have improved, and it seems like effortless depth.  Along with the fuller soundstage this deep bass adds to the foundation.

Actually the bass, may also be part of the reason for the added "fullness" and flesh to the soundstage as I have always noticed that good deep bass always makes the whole room come alive.

So there you have it, the DAC-10 is certainly a significant component and it would likely be better termed a DAC/Preamp as it performs all those functions of input switching, volume control, and Digital to Analog Conversion.

And my friend is looking forward to hooking his up soon and maybe I can get him to post, because he has quite a few DSD files, and he is getting the DAC-10H so he may also be able to comment on how it sounds and functions with headphones.

I might also mention that the DAC-10 has a rather unique feature of being able to select different "output" voltages for both Line outputs (RCA and XLR) and also for the headphone outputs.

John Casler

« Reply #10 on: 13 Jan 2015, 11:25 pm »
Just had an additional thought regarding the sound quality improvements.

I really like a few cuts on the DAFT PUNK Album that won album of the year last year, one is the GIORGIO MORODER cut, and the other is the the "song of the year" GET LUCKY.

Well while I liked the album musically, it really didn't have the AUDIO QUALITIES I liked, or at least it didn't seem to on my last two incarnations, and on other people's systems.

Well, now, those two cuts are VERY high quality in the sound I hear, although I can't put my finger on it exactly, they just sound cleaner, clearer, and have better bass.

:green:

rustydoglim

« Reply #11 on: 19 Jan 2015, 05:28 pm »

A better DAC should improve sound characteristic such as sound stage, resolution, FR, dynamic, low noise floor  and especially for DAC-10H, ability to drive IEM and over ear headphones efficiently through six gain settings. But our goal is try to stay as neutral as possible.

Louisa0208

« Reply #12 on: 31 Jan 2015, 04:40 pm »
Is there any review for DAC-10 or ST-10 already?
Thanks!

rustydoglim

« Reply #13 on: 2 Feb 2015, 11:55 am »
There were just shipped to TAS for review.  Inner Fidelity is working on DAC-10H review.

DAC-10H is the only DAC that can play sensitive IEM and power hungry headphones at the same time, connect IEM to 6.2mm headphone output (set to lowest gain) and over-ear Sennheiser HD-800 headphones to XLR output (set to highest gain).