Why doesn't everyone get the phase inverter option?

newzooreview

Why doesn't everyone get the phase inverter option?
« on: 26 Jul 2010, 01:56 pm »
I just learned about the phase inverter option for the AVA preamps. If I understand it correctly, when wired up to a single stereo amplifier as AVA describes, the affect is to allow the power supply in the amplifier to see only demand from one channel at a time, effectively making the stereo amplifier into a dual mono amp (or at least the power supply section). This will improve imaging and maximum current that the power supply can support (making its full capacity available to each channel independently).

Also, it allows the option of running two stereo amps bridged if you ever need to do that. A small bit of future proofing.

So for $199, why isn't everyone getting the phase inverter option and using it? I just learned about it--is it just not well communicated? Are there drawbacks?

Can someone who's used it on a single stereo amplifier comment? Is the affect on sound quality audible?

Thanks!

rlee8394

Re: Why doesn't everyone get the phase inverter option?
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jul 2010, 02:24 pm »
I agree. Then, I'm a big fan of using a pair of amps bridged for triple power and elimination of common mode noise. Very worthwhile for the $$$. Recommended.

Ron

newzooreview

« Reply #2 on: 26 Jul 2010, 02:25 pm »
I called Frank and answered my own question. The phase inverter does send the signal through an extra circuit, and on a well-designed stereo amplifier the benefit may be "a wash" in Frank's estimation. It's primarily useful for a) improving performance of stereo amplifiers that may not have as solid a power supply design as Frank's, and b) bridging two stereo amplifiers.

Since I'm getting a 550 Double Ultra+, I don't think bridging two amps or helping a weak power supply design will be problems.

For the purpose of discussion, however, it should be interesting to know whether anyone is using the phase inverter option on a stereo amp and whether the affect is noticeable and in what ways.

(My AvaStar is apparently, possibly, if all goes well, shipping this Friday with my Double Ultra+  :drool: )

newzooreview

« Reply #3 on: 26 Jul 2010, 02:32 pm »
I agree. Then, I'm a big fan of using a pair of amps bridged for triple power and elimination of common mode noise. Very worthwhile for the $$$. Recommended.

Ron

Yes, for bridging two stereo amplifiers it seems to be an excellent $199 upgrade.

For my system I think the $199 and cost of the second amp is better put towards new music (or a quarry full of Shatki stones?).

mark funk

« Reply #4 on: 26 Jul 2010, 03:10 pm »
I have a Fet/Valve inverter from the early 90s, it has 12AX7 valves. I got it to run two UltraValve amps, when ever that happens! I did try it with my 550 before I got the Ultra+ upgrade. I would not recommend running an old inverter like mine with any of Frank's new stuff. R and D marches on. Frank's new stuff is a lot better then one of his 20 year old inverters although I did let a friend use it until he got his Ultra 550. He used it with a Hafler DH200 and he said it made quite a difference.

:smoke:

turkey

« Reply #5 on: 26 Jul 2010, 05:38 pm »
I've had preamps with this option. At that time they did seem to make a single stereo amp perform better.

Then I got an FET-Valve amp and it didn't seem to benefit from the phase inverter, nor did an older amp when I later had it upgraded to the OmegaStar circuits.

When it came time to replace my old Transcendence Two preamp with an OmegaStar one I chose not to get the inverter option and I haven't missed it at all.

boycephoto

« Reply #6 on: 26 Jul 2010, 07:13 pm »
I have an Insight+ EC with phase inverter installed that I use with a single Ultimate 70 and Rogers LS3/5a's.  I origianlly used 2 Super 70i's (w/Dahlquist DQ-10's).  I have known about the bennifits of usinging a phase inverter with single amplifier but have never connected it that way.  I will try to do some A-B listening tests over the next couple of days and get back to AC with a report. 

Dave

newzooreview

« Reply #7 on: 26 Jul 2010, 08:40 pm »
I have an Insight+ EC with phase inverter installed that I use with a single Ultimate 70 and Rogers LS3/5a's.  I origianlly used 2 Super 70i's (w/Dahlquist DQ-10's).  I have known about the bennifits of usinging a phase inverter with single amplifier but have never connected it that way.  I will try to do some A-B listening tests over the next couple of days and get back to AC with a report. 

Dave

Cool.  :thumb:

ricmon

« Reply #8 on: 26 Jul 2010, 11:48 pm »
Cool.  :thumb:

Please don't hesitate to post you impressions.  I'm very interested in the effects of this circuit.

rcag_ils

« Reply #9 on: 23 Aug 2023, 04:24 pm »
My 1999 AVA preamp has the phase inverter option, how is it used again? Any wiring diagrams to show how's it being used?