BePure 2s: The Sound

Boybees

BePure 2s: The Sound
« on: 14 Sep 2023, 02:51 pm »
Here's what I wrote to Jim yesterday about my initial impressions. I hope to post in more detail about the listening experience in weeks to come.

"I also wanted to tell you that the BePure 2s are living up to all the hype, and then some. The dynamics, and detail, and sheer physical scope and presence of the soundscape they put out are just phenomenal. The SongTowers are a great speaker, but this is just on a whole other level. It feels like for recordings and SPLs where the SongTowers were reaching their ceiling, the BePure 2s are just getting started.

And there is untapped potential on several levels. Right now, I have them on Amazon basic speaker wire, I haven’t put the Gaia II feet on, I haven’t re-equalized the room yet, and I don’t think my amplification and DAC are on the same level as the BePure 2s. Yet still this is the best sound I’ve ever heard in my own home."

Check my system page for details about the listening space and equipment. I've mischievously named this system "The Salk Institute".

DFpritchard

Re: BePure 2s: The Sound
« Reply #1 on: 14 Sep 2023, 07:04 pm »
Agree with everything you said about the BePure2s.  The Gaia 2 feet will improve the focus and imaging, especially if the current setup is on a soft floor (e.g., carpet).  Recommend you try the Anticables Level 4.2 flex.  This is the cable I use and the one Jim used to demo the BePure2s at Pacific Audiofest last year.  Very reasonably priced, as are all Paul Speltz' cables. 

Enjoy!

Boybees

« Reply #2 on: 15 Sep 2023, 03:25 pm »
I have some excellent speaker cables made by Jim himself. A spade popped off of one of them, as soon as I get that repaired, I'll put those cables back in.

Boybees

« Reply #3 on: 21 Sep 2023, 07:41 pm »
Wanted to note that there is a magic in the way my favorite rock guitar riffs emerge from these BePure2s. All of you know the spine-tingling thrill of a great riff. To me that happens because of a connection between your music-appreciating soul, and the sound waves coming at you.

The clarity of reproduction, the exquisite detail, the three-dimensional soundscape that comes forth from the BePure2s, the riff jumps out, stands out, comes alive - it's moved you before, but never like this. It easier, more effortless for your soul to perceive what it craves.

Boybees

« Reply #4 on: 26 Sep 2023, 10:49 pm »
When it comes to bass, I’m hearing excellent synergy between my room and these BePure 2s. I listen to a lot of dub reggae, electronic dub, psychedelic dub, etc. What I love about this genre is the fat, round, powerful electric bass sound and thundering kick drum strikes.

This music puts the audio system to a test. When it sounds right, there’s no boom, no boxiness, there’s just pressure and power. It feels like the sound is emanating from the walls of the room, and every cubic inch of air space is pressurized with bass. Yet despite all this, it’s also subtle. It’s felt more than heard.

Right now, my BePure 2s are powered by a Class D amp, and Class D is known for its facility with bass control. I expected this amp-speaker combo to do well with the dub genre, and I’m not disappointed. There’s no single recording to point to, because so many in the genre can create the effect that I’m seeking. There’s a “deep” satisfaction when your soul and body are engaged with pressurized bass in this way. Again, the BePure 2s, in my room, deliver this experience effortlessly, like they could go quite a bit louder than my maximum comfort level, without losing steam.

To escape cognitive dissonance, I’m believing that this bass euphoria is enhanced by the IsoAcoustics Gaia II isolation feet that I just installed on the BePure 2s. I purchased the set of feet on the used market, but still a substantial investment. What I’m hearing is consistent with expectations created by the IsoAcoustics marketing copy, and the reports of several Gaia II users that I contacted. The experience of bass is incredibly great, but is it “better” than I what I heard from the BePure 2s on their standard spikes?

I guess the dissonance comes from the idea that the performance of a speaker created by a talented and experienced designer could be improved audibly by an after-market addition whose sonic effects were not considered in the speaker design. But, in a tale that will sound familiar to this audience, I had a nagging uncertainty that I was “leaving something on the table” by not adding these acoustic isolation feet to my system. And, as any audiophile knows, the best way to resolve said uncertainty it to simply pull the trigger on the upgrade. Let’s put it this way - I have no regrets.

Rocket

« Reply #5 on: 27 Sep 2023, 01:23 am »
Hi,

I am onto my 4th pair of Salk Sound speakers as I recently bought Bepure 2's as well.  I had them shipped to Australia and cost me about 12k aud all up.

They are just so effortless and the front port works so well in my lousy room. I'm also a fan of Spread Spectrum Technologies and I'm using Ampzilla Monoblocks and Ambrosia preamplifier. I mainly listen to vinyl as I bought the optional phono stage. The speakers are effortless in sound and just sound so right.

Glad your liking the speakers.

Cheers Rod

Eggiwegs2

« Reply #6 on: 28 Sep 2023, 08:16 pm »
Every time I think of how much it cost me to get my Supercharged Songtowers shipped to Madrid, I find solace (misery loves company) in knowing that Rocket has spent more in shipping/import fees than 90% of Salk owners have spent on their speakers!

I think the BePure 2s look to be endgame for a small apartment (like flats in Spain). That said, I'll probably have my SCST until I kick it. Although if I could somehow get my hands on some BePure 2s...

Boybees

« Reply #7 on: 5 Nov 2023, 10:16 pm »
Now a few words about soundstage and stereo image. The BePure2s present a soundstage that is precise and deep, even at low volumes.  As a reference point, I saw Gustavo Dudamel conduct the LA Phil in a performance of the Shostakovich Cello Concerto #1 in Disney Hall in Los Angeles. The cellist was the British musician Sheku Kanneh-Mason, a skilled and appealing performer. The acoustics in Disney Hall are fantastic, and from our seats, the percussion, which is prominent in this piece, was spread in a wide array from left to right. My eyes and ears were alert to locate these accents as they propelled the performance forward.

I then found on Qobuz a 96kHz 24 bit recording of this piece and proceeded to listen obsessively, both focused listening at higher volume and as lower-volume background during my work-at-home days. The performers are the Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Pablo Heras-Casado, and the American cellist Alisa Wellerstein. This recording is on the Decca label.

I notice that the spread of percussion sounds across the stage is of a similar scale to what I heard in the live performance. I can identify four or five points, ranging across the sonic tableau, where percussion strikes are located. And this sense of three-dimensional space is preserved when I lower the volume to background levels. The haunting tone of the cello is is precisely located as well.

These experiences are replicated across genres and recordings. With the BePure2s, Imaging and soundstage are always immersive and captivating.

Boybees

« Reply #8 on: 5 Apr 2024, 09:27 pm »
One more post to close out this thread. I have my system dialed in better than at any other moment of my lifelong audiophile journey. Here are the key elements:
  • Salk BePure2s powered by McGary Audio SA1E. The synergy between amp and speakers is the foundation.
  • Clean electricity: the McGary runs an isolated line from the main panel.
  • Acoustic treatments to deaden reflections in the room.
  • Room equalization, using REW and Roon convolution filters.
With high quality recordings, the sound is sublime. Nothing in the presentation needs to be fixed or changed. It’s a satisfying and glorious experience.

Here’s a few things that I do hear. On string quartets, the highest violin notes evince a sweetness that doesn’t diminish as you increase the volume. That dulcet tone is vigorous, intense, poignant, but never harsh, never steely, never thin. It stays round and whole. With thunderously loud rock, the splash and ride cymbals stay separate and float above the jagged razor edge of the electric guitars. They are delicate, shimmery, and if the bell of the cymbal is struck, that bell is present. On dub, the fat round bass lines and visceral kick drums pressurize the room. The low notes are more felt than heard.

I was fortunate to acquire one of the last pair of BePure2s that Jim and his team ever made. When I asked Jim what amp he would use for these speakers, McGary was the first brand he mentioned. These speakers are worth the investment in an amp of the caliber of the SA1E. Together, the two components sound more like a musical instrument than audio gear. I guess that’s the highest compliment I can pay.

won ton on

« Reply #9 on: 5 Apr 2024, 09:58 pm »
Boybees         Any pics ?

rowdyrobot

« Reply #10 on: 6 Apr 2024, 12:28 am »
Great post and system and notes on the value of treatments too! I’m trying to imagine how awesome it sounds!

Rocket

« Reply #11 on: 6 Apr 2024, 02:41 am »
Hi,

Thanks for the update with your experience of the Salk Sound Bepure2's. They sure are a fabulous speaker :).

Every time I think of how much it cost me to get my Supercharged Songtowers shipped to Madrid, I find solace (misery loves company) in knowing that Rocket has spent more in shipping/import fees than 90% of Salk owners have spent on their speakers!/quote]

Yes I've probably spent enough on shipping to Australia to buy a pair of Salk Sound speakers. But oh the sound...

Cheers Rod

Boybees

« Reply #12 on: 14 Apr 2024, 05:22 pm »

BrandonB

« Reply #13 on: 14 Apr 2024, 07:09 pm »
I love the look of those speakers.  I have never heard of McGarybut that doesn't mean anything.   Is that a PS Audio MK2 DAC.  If it is how does it sound compared to other DAC's you have listened to.

won ton on

« Reply #14 on: 14 Apr 2024, 07:15 pm »
Boybees           Nice setup gotta like the stain.

Rocket

« Reply #15 on: 14 Apr 2024, 10:11 pm »
Hi,

I wish I had the money to buy the McGary amplifier but I'm tapped out and no more upgraditis. I'm using a Spread Spectrum Technologies Ampzilla monoblocks with my Bepure 2's.

Cheers Rod