What's Going On At Audiogon? Gone?

pardales

Re: What's Going On At Audiogon? Gone?
« Reply #20 on: 19 May 2011, 11:01 pm »
Nope.  It calls up UNTIL you go look at an ad, then a error message pop up.  If you can't see the ads, it does not work.

Yup. Can get the discussion forums but not the for sale ads.

finsup

« Reply #21 on: 19 May 2011, 11:03 pm »
Works for me.  Ads and all.

richidoo

« Reply #22 on: 19 May 2011, 11:05 pm »
Opens OK then if I go past first page on any item or category listing it fails.

Same here. Looks fine until I drill into a listing, then I get this:

Error: Page cannot be displayed. Please contact service provider for more details. (7)

But the error is served by the audiogon.com domain, same as the home page. The page with the search results is cgi.audiogon.com, which might be on a different machine. Featured ads that link to cgi.audiogon.com still come up, but not the regular classified ads. Show.audiogon.com and auctions (on cgi.) still work.

Looks like something is just broken.

pehare

« Reply #23 on: 19 May 2011, 11:58 pm »
makes me realize how addicted we all are....an audiophile buddy of mine called me today to see if i was having problems accessing & i told him i knew he would be calling any minute.  they're building us up for an annual subscription fee....somebody out there come up w/an alternative audiogone site

bacobits1

« Reply #24 on: 20 May 2011, 01:10 am »
Yearly subscription plus Ad fees? That will drive people away. Can you say greed?
I be gone.

D

JohnR

« Reply #25 on: 20 May 2011, 01:17 am »
Don't mean to be rude, but I don't think most people have much inkling of what it costs to create and run a site...

pardales

« Reply #26 on: 20 May 2011, 01:23 am »
Don't mean to be rude, but I don't think most people have much inkling of what it costs to create and run a site...

Im sure that's true. I would be curious to see Audiogon books.

doorman

« Reply #27 on: 20 May 2011, 02:17 am »
Lately, it's been pay before listing appears.
Dunno if that generates enough revenue, though---
don

JP78

« Reply #28 on: 20 May 2011, 02:26 am »

That's a perfectly fair point; though in this particular case:

- viewership has gone down over the years
- postings have decreased over the years
- cost of bandwidth has decreased over the years

- zero functionality improvement over the years
- zero change / growth in site features over the years

Why are we paying more for something that's cheaper now to provide than it was 10 years go?

bummrush

« Reply #29 on: 20 May 2011, 02:38 am »
And the price of what has stayed the same over the last 10 years nip pick functionality all you want it's been a great way to sell

Bemopti123

« Reply #30 on: 20 May 2011, 02:48 am »

Why are we paying more for something that's cheaper now to provide than it was 10 years go?

While your points are valid, there is one thing that distinguishes Audiogon vs other types of goods and services, that it is pretty much the only venue where people can trade, buy and sell used, new and other types of expensive audio gear.  I cannot even recall other sites where people are trying to sell their audio extras with much success.

So, yes, there are types of goods and services that have become cheaper by the passage of time but Audiogon pretty much stands unchallenged in the used good venue....and even with their ridiculous 1-2% of the listed sell price, it is still better than those ripsters at Ebay that have all sort of hidden fees and plenty of tire kickers. 

Well, that is my take on the whole thing.  I have bought and sold things for years and with all their changes, I have benefited greatly from that site....even though in the end, I could not stand the iron hand/very obvious censorship of audio opinions in their forums. 

JohnR

« Reply #31 on: 20 May 2011, 02:48 am »

How do you know they weren't losing money 10 years ago?

Regardless, it's a business - it's supposed to make money. If the price is not to your liking, then don't pay it... nobody is forcing anyone to use it...

johzel

« Reply #32 on: 20 May 2011, 03:14 am »
Same problems here.

So, "who" is "audiogon" exactly.  Guess I never thought about this until now. 

JDUBS

« Reply #33 on: 20 May 2011, 03:24 am »

I assume that you work(ed) for Audiogon, based on this response?  Its threads like this that crack me up  :lol:  and make me glad I took a business class or two in school.

-Jim

ratso

« Reply #34 on: 20 May 2011, 03:37 am »
i'm glad i don't get paid now what i did ten years ago. i put something up for sale on audiogon about 2 days ago. seriously, no lie, it sold in approx. a minute. i didn't even know the ad had posted yet and it sold, AND i was paid by paypal already AND it had gotten about 35 views in that time. in like honestly, 2 minutes at the most. that is why people like agon.

JP78

« Reply #35 on: 20 May 2011, 06:08 am »
I assume that you work(ed) for Audiogon, based on this response?  Its threads like this that crack me up  :lol:  and make me glad I took a business class or two in school.

-Jim

I wouldn't dream of working at Audiogon.  :lol:

The business classes I took taught us to reinvest part of your profit into growing / improving your core product / service.

I think for good reason the number of high-end audio equipment items on eBay are increasing over the past few years, despite the fact you're out almost 8% after listing and PayPal fees.

Do I think Audiogon serves a purpose? Absolutely. I just think this purpose is shrinking over time as Audiogon functionality becomes more and more dated...just like traditional audiophile equipment.  :o

For example, I'd love to be able to sort all speakers under $1,000 within driving distance of me, but unfortunately that's not possible. I also realize I might be a small minority that wants these "modern" features, but I know I want them.

I don't want to be right or wrong in this situation. In fact, I'd much rather be wrong as I'm fond of looking at all the Audiogon photos and ads. I'm just stating the facts as I see them.

JP78

« Reply #36 on: 20 May 2011, 06:14 am »
How do you know they weren't losing money 10 years ago?

Regardless, it's a business - it's supposed to make money. If the price is not to your liking, then don't pay it... nobody is forcing anyone to use it...

I don't know, and frankly it's not my business so I never will. And of course I would never begrudge a company for prospering; I just feel that price increase by magnitudes after zero improvements to service lessens the value I'm receiving. Of course, PayPal did this years ago to make silly amounts of money. :)

Audiogon is a staple for community discussion, which makes it disheartening to think of if the site passes on.

I currently don't use Audiogon for buying / selling, but that doesn't mean I didn't before or won't again some day. I'm more unhappy with the censorship of discussion and feedback that goes on there; not the administrative fees or policies.

I sold my entire system courtesy of Audiocircle and Craigslist...the former I owe you genuine thanks for.

The point of forums is discussion based upon perspective...just throwing in my two cents here, not trying to change the world.

Bemopti123

« Reply #37 on: 20 May 2011, 10:55 am »
If Audiogon really passes, then it will be a great loss for those with too many goodies to are gathering dust.  I do agree with JP78 about the loss that it will be of the community discussion forums that is immense.  Filled with very opinionated but all really insightful info.  The censorship in that site drove away the users to places like Audiocircle and other sites. 

elmalloc

« Reply #38 on: 20 May 2011, 11:50 am »
It's just a domain registration issue guys, damn.   :duh:

2gumby2

« Reply #39 on: 20 May 2011, 12:09 pm »
A couple of alternatives to Audiogon for higher end equipment are AudioXsell and TheAudioExchange. They don't have the popularity of Audiogon, but I've had good customer service experiences with their owners. Always promptly answered my questions.