J Gordon Holt passed away

BobM

J Gordon Holt passed away
« on: 21 Jul 2009, 06:56 pm »
A few minutes after 12 noon mtn time, July 20, 2009 J Gordon Holt, the founder of Stereophile, passed away in his home in Boulder, Colorado. A memorial service will be held in a week or two. There will be, of course, martinis and the music of Ralph Vaughn Williams.

« Last Edit: 21 Jul 2009, 08:29 pm by BobM »

Housteau

Re: J Gordon Hold passed away
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jul 2009, 07:09 pm »
I am sorry to see this.  I had been wondering about what he had been up to not having read much about him in a quite a while.  He was very influential during my early days with this hobby.

tonyptony

Re: J Gordon Holt passed away
« Reply #2 on: 21 Jul 2009, 10:49 pm »
I'm also very sorry about his passing. I met JGH twice at CESes during the mid/late 80s. A true music lover first above all else, and a fellow lover of Ralph Vaughan Williams.

I think perhaps Sinfonia Antarctica this evening.

ltr317

« Reply #3 on: 22 Jul 2009, 12:21 am »
Sorry to hear that.  I bought my first issue of Stereophile while he was still editor.  Hope there's a nice dedicated sound room where he is. 

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
« Reply #4 on: 22 Jul 2009, 12:39 am »
Very sad news.  My father was a huge fan of anything audio (he passed away in 2003) nearly his entire life, and once referred to JGH as the Godfather of high-end.  My Dad also paid for more than a decade of Stereophile sent to my house (and his, too) when I moved out.  It was a yearly birthday present.  Interesting that Holt passed on the anniversary of the moon landing.  He was indeed a pioneer.

I was just reading about Holt's 1999 departure from Stereophile:
http://www.stereophile.com/news/10541/

Holt was truly a great man.  Check out this 1997 interview:
http://www.stereophile.com//interviews/66/

fido

« Reply #5 on: 22 Jul 2009, 01:46 am »
I have fond memories of talking with Mr. Holt at two different Stereophile shows (S.F. & L.A.) - I now have a preamp & amp largely as a result of his recommendation. Fun guy to talk to - very balanced views on complicated audio issues I thought. We'll miss him & his ears.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #6 on: 22 Jul 2009, 02:03 am »
I knew Gordon rather well having spent many hours at his home. He was a hell of a mentor. Would have spent a lot more time there were it not for his chain smoking. I introduced him to Steven Stone and damned if Steven didn't light up right with him.
The three of us worked together on recordings of the Boulder Symphony Orchestra at Mackey Auditorium until I moved away from the area. At least there was no smoking in the auditorium.
Gordon was a pragmatist and took no interest in audio jewelry. I wish I had paid more attention to him and less to the magazine wisdom at that time (mid 1990s). His maverick spirit and pioneering discoveries could have saved me lot of trouble. After all these years and a whoppin lot of money, I'm right about where he would have led me back then if I had the wisdom to follow his advice. Live and learn. Thanks for trying, Gordon.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #7 on: 22 Jul 2009, 02:34 am »
A good read...little long....but interesting... Jan. 1997...

http://www.stereophile.com/interviews/66/

R.I.P. Mr. Holt.....

dB Cooper

« Reply #8 on: 22 Jul 2009, 02:40 am »
Not a peep on the Stereophile site, so far anyway

chosenhandle

« Reply #9 on: 22 Jul 2009, 01:11 pm »
sad news. He will be missed.

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #10 on: 22 Jul 2009, 03:17 pm »

Thanks for sharing Marco.

So where are you at now after years of audio foolery?

Where would Gordon have lead you? Very interested.   8)

Rocket_Ronny

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #11 on: 22 Jul 2009, 11:55 pm »
Gordon was trying to convince me of the merits of high-efficiency speakers, and more specifically, Tannoy, in those days. He was a champion of solid state,digital playback, and surround sound. I have never flirted with multi-channel but I am using Rowland electronics and a large, efficient mid-range horn. Digital is also in play.
Gordon had the largest collection of laser discs I have ever seen.

Steven Stone

« Reply #12 on: 25 Jul 2009, 05:14 am »
I posted a brief rememberence here:

http://www.avguide.com/blog/j-gordon-holts-passing

Gordon was THE MAN when it came to audio...

cryoparts

« Reply #13 on: 25 Jul 2009, 05:39 am »
I posted a brief rememberence here:

http://www.avguide.com/blog/j-gordon-holts-passing

Gordon was THE MAN when it came to audio...

Nice write up Steven.

I am going to dig out some of the really old S'Philes (the "booklet" ones) from "back in the day" and reminisce a bit.

Peace,

Lee