Is the end of Klipsch near?

macrojack

• Restricted
Re: Is the end of Klipsch near?
« Reply #20 on: 19 Nov 2014, 08:20 pm »
No, the original Klipshorns didn't image well, but the updated Volti-Klipshorn's are totally 'nother story. Which means, the design is capable of imaging.

Then again, there are few speakers that can match them in terms of micro and macro dynamics and slam. Plus, you can use those awesome sounding flea-watt SET amps with these.

The reason why there are few speakers that can match them in terms of micro and macro dynamics is simple enough. Only horns have those capabilities and very few companies make those kind of horns. The audiophile buying public has made it clear that this kind of horn is not what they want. I've been crowing about the merits of compression drivers and mid range horns for 5 years now and have received scant agreement and frequent derision for my troubles. The audio press, in the interest of certain prominent players has steered us away from horns.

RDavidson - K-horns are a scaled down horn system already. PWK created the folded horn inside the K-horn and the corner placement in order to reproduce bass frequencies without requiring a 50 foot long horn. The K-Horns are meant to use the walls of the room as an extension of the bass horn. There is no way to make them smaller anymore than you can have a pocket sized tuba or a compact acoustic bass.

To address your initial observation: Klipsch appears to have died some time ago and has been running on fumes, momentum and wishful thinking ever since. If enough people cared, the brand would be thriving. Unfortunately, they have become sufficiently anachronous to wither and die slowly. There will be others shortly. We went through the same thing over LaSalle and Packard.

CSI

« Reply #21 on: 19 Nov 2014, 08:35 pm »
As a retail purveyor of large horns (K-Horns and Altec-Lansing Voice of the Theaters) I saw their limited popularity wane decades ago. It was for all the reasons mentioned above including price but, IMHO, it was mostly because almost nobody had the space to house them (and we were in the affluent West LA market). On those few occasions when we installed large horns in smallish rooms the customer was either an obvious batchelor or his wife had just given up on any semblance of room decor. A big room is a different story but even then the significant other had to buy into the concept. Klipsch has struggled to keep going on "me too" products for as long as they could exploit the name but it looks like their string has finally run out. Alas.

Sparky14

« Reply #22 on: 19 Nov 2014, 11:14 pm »
Another thought.....is the mass market attack of Klipsch through their parent company allowing the little bit of the old Klipsch to stay alive?

I doubt that the old Klipsch would still be around today. But the fact that they still have any horn based offerings tells me that their foray into the mass market has kept them somewhat viable.

*Scotty*

« Reply #23 on: 19 Nov 2014, 11:23 pm »
It used to be that companies went to The Audio Conniver to die. When you found their flyer in your mailbox and the company's products were in there, then the end was near. Klipsch is not yet listed on their website. The company may or may not be considered still alive.
The Hartsfield from Classic Audio Loudspeakers is one of the first loudspeakers I have heard that might actually be worth the 30 grand they ask for it. Also they don't sound like horns! No horn related resonances at all. Life size imaging and dynamics with all the bass extension you could want. I heard them at Capital Audiofest in maybe a 50ft. by 30ft. room on the long wall. They were not in corners and were well away from the rear wall. They disappeared and due to the controlled radiation pattern, and the way they were toed in, the sweet spot was one seat wide. Needless to say the room worked. They would not work in the average audiophiles listening room. In a way they could be considered an updated version of the classic horn-loaded loudspeaker, full on audiophile execution and sound quality, with no apologies.
Scotty

CSI

« Reply #24 on: 19 Nov 2014, 11:29 pm »
Based on my industry experience I'd guess that is very likely the case. But if they have failed to establish the name as a go-to brand for those non - horn based products it is unlikely that the sales are sustainable, so the "subsidy" is likely to go away with the company. Unless the recession ends very quickly I would guess that the brand name itself may be sold off to someone with a passionate interest in keeping the horn products alive. Problem is, it then becomes a very low volume product requiring an even higher price to keep afloat. The long term viability of such a project (unless funded by someone willing to lose lots of cash) is not too good.

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
« Reply #25 on: 19 Nov 2014, 11:35 pm »
The high end market is getting thiner. I think, todays market is different. listeners are different. It's more about "how much music" you have and not as much about "quality of music". (?)

Everything has changed in the last 30 years. like everything, it evolves..

*Scotty*

« Reply #26 on: 19 Nov 2014, 11:58 pm »
Does anyone remember Bell and Howell?
Scotty

RDavidson

« Reply #27 on: 20 Nov 2014, 04:45 am »
Another thought.....is the mass market attack of Klipsch through their parent company allowing the little bit of the old Klipsch to stay alive?

I doubt that the old Klipsch would still be around today. But the fact that they still have any horn based offerings tells me that their foray into the mass market has kept them somewhat viable.

Yes, you're probably right, but look at other successful speaker companies like PSB, Paradigm, B&W. They have all adapted to a degree without losing their identity. And I'll bring this up again : The Palladium series have compression horns and are a thoroughly modern take on the classic Klipsch sound. Why can't the compression horn technology in the Palladium series trickle down? That's the huge discconnect. The real Klipsch products are too expensive, and everything else they make just has a Klipsch logo on it. Why isn't there more effort to make ALL their products authentic Klipsch?

BTW, I appreciate all the thoughts including insider insights, guys. The varying perspectives are interesting.

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #28 on: 10 Jan 2015, 04:05 am »
Yes, you're probably right, but look at other successful speaker companies like PSB, Paradigm, B&W. They have all adapted to a degree without losing their identity. And I'll bring this up again : The Palladium series have compression horns and are a thoroughly modern take on the classic Klipsch sound. Why can't the compression horn technology in the Palladium series trickle down? That's the huge discconnect. The real Klipsch products are too expensive, and everything else they make just has a Klipsch logo on it. Why isn't there more effort to make ALL their products authentic Klipsch?

BTW, I appreciate all the thoughts including insider insights, guys. The varying perspectives are interesting.

I own an alarm company and we also install whole house audio among just about everything else low voltage. About a year ago my alarm supplier "who is getting into everything low voltage" is now carrying Kilpsch and Kef in ceiling speakers, along with Pioneer, Yamaha, Denon and the like. High end audio manufacturers bringing lower end product to the masses has been going on for the last 30 years. Think about all the companies we grew up with who made high end product and now their making low end product to sell to the masses. You see these products in all the big box stores and now we as professional installers have access to them as well. This is just simply a way for them to survive, they can make a lot more money selling to the masses than selling to a few audiophiles no matter what their mark up is.

Zero

« Reply #29 on: 3 Jul 2015, 03:35 am »
Not for anything, but having recently glanced over Klipsch's national sales figures (which I cannot share, even in private), the brand seems to be doing just fine. 

Also, the RF-7 II's are positively bad a$$ speakers when you get em' set up correctly.  Even on solid state gear.  :D